Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Let's talk about (FIAT) Chrysler!

Old 04-12-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Let's talk about (FIAT) Chrysler!

So I have this buddy who grew up with his dad working for Chrysler and they make the only cars he will buy, and the only cars he will even consider. He needed to buy a new sedan for he and his wife, "Holy crap have you seen that new Chrysler 200? BEST DAMN CAR OUT THERE!" So he bought one. It is ok.

Now I read barely into its run, they have killed the 200 AND the Dart for slow sales. Charger and 300 sales are pretty putrid themselves as the car is very long in the tooth. But...the new minivan looks like it will be a hit, the Ram pickup is a top five seller, and Jeeps sell like hotcakes.

So what is the strategy going forward? They don't have much in the pipeline. They never got into electrics or hybrids. The only cars they make are thirsty trucks, suv's and crossovers. The remaining sedans are big and thirsty too.

I don't know how you just dump your most efficient models and retool the factories for more SUV's (which is the plan) and still meet CAFE. It is hard to try to re-enter the vehicle niches they are quickly exiting and compete any better than the 200 and Dart did.

They think they will just be able to import tiny cars like the Fiat 500 to balance out fuel economy standards, but FIAT's euro models are not exactly real attractive to the US market.

They look doomed to me.

No efficient cars, tightening CAFE, not much evidence of R&D into tech like electric or hybrid except the new minivan.

How do they meet CAFE? Do they end up with huge fines? Is this the beginning of the end for Chrysler/Dodge car brands with only Jeep and the Turcks as a marketable brand?

I guess Tesla can fill their shoes.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:33 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Here's a thought, Chrysler is known for bigger sedans, suvs, trucks, etc. Fiat is known for smaller cars. I'm sure there's no coincidence there.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:45 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Sergio is hoping Alfa Romeo will be a world car brand.

Dodge and Ram will be fully separated, Maserati will have a complete line up (as would Alfa), and Jeep will be the sales leader.

What else? Guess we'll see what's on offer at the NY Auto show later this week.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:47 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

A couple years ago, FCA stated that it would hit CAFE via more smaller vehicle sales, 8-9 speed transmissions, and more diesel sales. I guess the transmissions and diesel sales are enough to carry the company without the huge investment in small vehicles?

I think FCA also buys emissions credits from the other manufacturers, so it can stay under Federal limits.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Here's a thought, Chrysler is known for bigger sedans, suvs, trucks, etc. Fiat is known for smaller cars. I'm sure there's no coincidence there.

Yeah. But FIAT does not make anything that will really sell here. The 500 has been a weak seller. If you go to Europe, their designs are bit....funky. I don't think the US will be scooping up Pandas.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
A couple years ago, FCA stated that it would hit CAFE via more smaller vehicle sales, 8-9 speed transmissions, and more diesel sales.

I think that plan included the 200 and the Dart in the mix. The 8-9 speeds help, but they could put CVT's in everything and still only get so many miles in a Charger.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect' timestamp='1460478791' post='23935851

Yeah. But FIAT does not make anything that will really sell here. The 500 has been a weak seller. If you go to Europe, their designs are bit....funky. I don't think the US will be scooping up Pandas.

The xB sold surprisingly well...
Old 04-12-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

CAFE standards for light duty trucks are considerably higher than those of cars. And all SUVs, no matter how car based, are classified as trucks.

It's such a joke - just another example that our government, for better or worse, really doesn't care about CO2 emissions.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

But...the new minivan looks like it will be a hit, the Ram pickup is a top five seller, and Jeeps sell like hotcakes.

So what is the strategy going forward? They don't have much in the pipeline. They never got into electrics or hybrids. The only cars they make are thirsty trucks, suv's and crossovers.
RAM has already been separated from Dodge for 2 years. By the way, the RAM EcoDiesel is the least thirsty half ton truck you can buy, and I love mine. Nothing like an Italian made VM Motori 3.0L diesel motor and an 8 speed ZF transmission in your American pickem up truck.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

There's only so many places in the US with Europe like roads and tight parking. Those locales are selling ok with Fiat. Still a tough sell with so few dealers around. With potential trade embargoes that could happen in a year or two with Mexico could hurt Fiat's sales in the US.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about (FIAT) Chrysler!