Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Never would I consider a Civic Si EP3...

Old 09-27-2009, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never would I consider a Civic Si EP3...

Looking for a DD. Something somewhat fun and beautiful, not a 1991 civic, even my DD's have some sort of standards.

I was mainly looking for 99-00 Honda Civic Si's. I knew of the EP3, but never really considered it. To be honest, I've always thought they were fugly. Now as I keep seeing 1000's of ads on craigslist of the EP3 and how much they are going for, I am seriously starting to consider it. As for the look and shifter, well its growing on me.

I guess my question is, any of you guys own one or even owned one? Know somebody who does? Ofcourse look is subjective, but would you rather have a 99-00 Civic Si? Any input about the care you can share with me?

Looking to buy my DD ASAP, so all answers appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:16 AM

mazda speed 3 > cooper S > gti > rsx-s > celica cts > Base rsx > civic si
Old 09-27-2009, 09:17 AM

I like the Civic EP3 because it was a hatch. I also liked that the engine had a bit more torque than some of Honda's smaller displacement motors. If you can find one in good shape I would certainly consider it. Please note that I say this as largely second hand info as I don't own one and don't know anyone with a EP3 Civic Si.

I do know a guy who had the Si before it. He hated the car. He said it was fine when the engine was rev'ed up but he hated having to rev the engine then slip the clutch just to get the thing moving. He also had what he described as "carburetion " issues. He's an old time muscle car guy so he was using old time terms but basically the engine hesitates and runs poorly at low RPM. His Civic was bought for well under sticker prior to the F&F movie. It was totaled in a wreck shortly after the movie. The movie raised the resale so much that even with 30k on the clock the payout was 100% of his purchase price. He went back to driving his '86 Corolla FX-16 after that and was happy.

I suspect finding an EP3 in good shape will be hard but it's worth a look because the hatchback practicality is really addictive. I would also suggest looking at the Focus SVT. It was the EP3's contemporary and largely considered to be the better car. Again finding one in good shape may be hard.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

the EM1 (99-00) Civic Si was a real pig. heavy car for the equipped 1.6L B16A1. It was so damn gutless i couldn't take it anymore, sold it after a month. Great on gas though! and it looked pretty good.

As for the EP3 i think their Hideous and the K20 (first gen) was just horrible. Interesting shift console but again, fugly.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Banned

I was going to buy a Ep3,and i test drove an 02 with about 70k.The car was garaged and in good condition.Also it was stock and white.I would get it,if you can find one that hasn't been abused.Shit,i might get one myself.....
Old 09-27-2009, 12:35 PM

I was looking at EP3s for a little bit before I bought my RSX base. I love the utility of a hatch and the K20A3 isn't THAT bad.

If you're using it just for DD, then I think it would fulfill your needs. Don't waste your time modding it. A nice stance with good rubber and you're good.

The shifter was one of the reasons I considered one in the first place. At first its kinda quirky, but after a while you get used to it and find to to be quite an ingenious location. Being right next too the wheel, gives it a cool rally feel. but then again this is just my .02

If you can find one in good shape, I say go for it. The K20A3 is great on gas mileage. I was averaging about 40mpg on the highway believe it or not.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Christople,Sep 27 2009, 08:16 AM
Amen.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:30 PM

Old 09-27-2009, 02:58 PM

I owned a '05 ep3 which I traded for my S back in '06. Great car for a DD. I averaged well over 400miles to the tank with every fill up. (HWY/CITY mix)
Old 09-27-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Sep 27 2009, 05:28 PM
Amen.
wow for once people agree with my FWD criticisms

Quick Reply: Never would I consider a Civic Si EP3...