Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Corvette makes Supra and others a dud.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:40 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Geoff - the ATS-V engine has had a ton of issues. I only know two people with them but both have had serious issues (ie, lemons or big repairs). You sure that's the route you want to go? Yes, they're cheaper but resale isn't good and you're going to probably use that warranty!

By contrast, the M3 engine seems to be pretty bulletproof, based on what I've read/heard, and they retain their value far better, based on prices I'm seeing in the used market.
Thanks for your opinion, but I've been in both vehicles extensively and am pretty made up on it. The value is just too good in the V series with a manual trans, even with known problems. Hell it isn't any worse (and lets be honest really better) than the N54/N55 BMWs I've owned in the past. And the F80 looks like a complete nightmare to work on (check out the engine bay photos), which it will need by the time I can afford one. All the gaskets, waterpump, thermostat, all that bullshit that I've had to do on previous E Series BMWs looks to be in the queue for the F80. At the end of the day an LF4 is overall cheaper than S55B when problems crop up. Just my take on it.

Then again there's nothing stopping me from looking at Civic Type R's as well when the time comes to give up my E90. Who knows. I'm not looking to blow 40k on a car quite yet....waiting for the resales to fall into the high 20's. lol I'm plenty happy with my S2K, Ninja, and E90 for now.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:08 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
When it gets the best fuel economy of any other V8, best low down torque of any other car, is the most reliable racing engine ever made.....why would GM ever switch other than to make something electric?

#IWorkforGM

Also....that BMW in my garage is getting switched over to an ATSV in the near future as they're on fire sale. It's the performance of an M3 without all the hassle and a less upscale interior. Plus calibration + downpipes = 500whp. We truly live in a golden era of performance cars.
Agreed on this. Lots of writers and other folks keep asking why they keep using "antiquated" pushrod technology, when it performs amazing, is reliable and keeps costs down. New tech is not necessarily always the best path and this is an example when the old reliable just keeps getting the job done.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
Thanks for your opinion, but I've been in both vehicles extensively and am pretty made up on it. The value is just too good in the V series with a manual trans, even with known problems. Hell it isn't any worse (and lets be honest really better) than the N54/N55 BMWs I've owned in the past. And the F80 looks like a complete nightmare to work on (check out the engine bay photos), which it will need by the time I can afford one. All the gaskets, waterpump, thermostat, all that bullshit that I've had to do on previous E Series BMWs looks to be in the queue for the F80. At the end of the day an LF4 is overall cheaper than S55B when problems crop up. Just my take on it.

Then again there's nothing stopping me from looking at Civic Type R's as well when the time comes to give up my E90. Who knows. I'm not looking to blow 40k on a car quite yet....waiting for the resales to fall into the high 20's. lol I'm plenty happy with my S2K, Ninja, and E90 for now.
Good point on the "typical" BMW maintenance that inevitably hits. It's the biggest thing that keeps me from buying a used BMW. I've never had to deal with that kind of crap before and I don't know why it's required on a modern car. Changing oil pan gaskets and miscellaneous seals within 7 years is ridiculous, much less the other little things that tend to go.

I'm just more worried about losing an engine in an ATS-V than doing maintenance on a BMW, I guess. Problem is, I don't want to do either! It seems to be part of the "pain" of stepping up to more powerful, more focused cars, though. Only Lexus seems immune to the problem (IS-F, RC-F, etc), but they're quite a bit heavier as well, and no manual transmissions...
HawkeyeGeoff (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Good point on the "typical" BMW maintenance that inevitably hits. It's the biggest thing that keeps me from buying a used BMW. I've never had to deal with that kind of crap before and I don't know why it's required on a modern car. Changing oil pan gaskets and miscellaneous seals within 7 years is ridiculous, much less the other little things that tend to go.

I'm just more worried about losing an engine in an ATS-V than doing maintenance on a BMW, I guess. Problem is, I don't want to do either! It seems to be part of the "pain" of stepping up to more powerful, more focused cars, though. Only Lexus seems immune to the problem (IS-F, RC-F, etc), but they're quite a bit heavier as well, and no manual transmissions...
Yeah you don't want a Lexus. IMO the extra effort is worth it in the end when you have a unique vehicle, but that's only if you're a nut like all of us and not a normal human that treats their car as an appliance.

Edit: BTW beautiful photography mate!
JonBoy (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm sure Geoff is chomping at the bit to post more in this thread...
Old 04-17-2019, 01:40 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

BMW has convinced the US market they make amazing cars. If a Toyota needed all the same work no one would buy then. It’s cause half their owners lease and don’t care.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:42 PM

Received 1,185 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbfgc
Corvette has been mid engine for a very long time.
Say what?
Old 04-17-2019, 03:48 PM

Received 1,185 Likes on 913 Posts

I've owned a C7 vert for five years now, with 78K miles. I love it. I can't wait to drive a C8. In a year or two, it reportedly will have a twin turbo plus electric hybrid assist for 1,000 hp.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:44 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Way to go the Raptor. I have only put half that mileage on my C7Z over 4 years of ownership. I also only get to drive it half the year due to winter. I can say I have enjoyed every mile. No major failures, but the car is far from problem free.

The corvette has been making duds out of other cars for generations and that trend will likely continue with the C8. 1000hp is nuts. Where will it stop?

I don't really see potential Supra or BMW buyers cross shopping a corvette, but I was an import guy who never thought he would drive an American sports car and look at me now.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:25 PM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by The Raptor
Say what?
If I am not mistaken, the vettes have been considered front mid engine (like the S2k) for many generations.

Quick Reply: New Corvette makes Supra and others a dud.