Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New lotus Evora 400

Old 02-19-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

1415kg = 3120 lbs? And that's almost 50 pounds lighter than a standard Evora? As small as the lotus is, for some reason I expected less. While I generally like the Evora, but that's a lot of money for a car built around an inexpensive Toyota motor (supercharger notwithstanding).
Old 02-19-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

You mean, that Camry motor with a supercharger is cheaper than the same engine that Porsche uses on all of their 911s? In all probability, they're not much less expensive (to Lotus) as Toyota isn't going to give them the motor at cost, they still have to add the supercharger and then they still have to do the development work on it to make it a cohesive package.

Remember, this car is an (unusable) 2+2, not just a 2-seater like the Cayman. It's 200 lbs lighter (real world) than a 911S with similar output.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to grab a used Evora S. Seems like such an awesome "alternative car". Problem is, I'm seeing 997.1 911 Turbos for around the same price and that particular 911 Turbo is my favorite and might be lot more "car" for the money.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
You mean, that Camry motor with a supercharger is cheaper than the same engine that Porsche uses on all of their 911s? In all probability, they're not much less expensive (to Lotus) as Toyota isn't going to give them the motor at cost, they still have to add the supercharger and then they still have to do the development work on it to make it a cohesive package.
Yeah, but in a Porsche, I get a sweet boxer 6 that's inherently balanced and packaged to sit as low in the chassis as possible. Not a boosted version of a V6 initially designed for shared duty in Camrys, Avalons, and Siennas. (Damn lucky, the engine that gets shipped off to Lotus - I bet he's laughing at his ass off at his assembly line siblings slated for soccer mom duty in a mini-van.) Something about that shared engine just feels wrong to me in a sports car. I mean, it'd be one thing if it was something manly sounding like a coyote or LS, but its a freakin' Camry motor. The Camry is the polar opposite of driving excitement. Sorry, it just kinda ruins it by association for me.

(Apologies to the lotus guys. Brilliant cars, I just can't get past this...)
Old 02-19-2015, 01:21 PM

I understand the concept that you like a purpose-built engine. I just don't care, in the end - if it performs, it performs. The Lotus sounds and moves like a sportscar, plus it's a proven engine. It's not like the Camry engine sounds like it's in a Camry - it's uncorked, sounds great and moves quickly.

I think I'd be more worried that my "sweet boxer 6" Porsche just lost to a car with a "Camry" motor.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

400hp and 0-60 in 4.2 seconds makes it the "Fastest Lotus ever"? I'm not sure that figure is correct since the Esprit hit 60 in 4.3 with "350hp" and the last 10-20 in production were rumored to be tweaked to 'over 400hp'.

Still not in love with the Evora and would probably pick the Cayman GTS or even a 4C.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I understand the concept that you like a purpose-built engine. I just don't care, in the end - if it performs, it performs. The Lotus sounds and moves like a sportscar, plus it's a proven engine. It's not like the Camry engine sounds like it's in a Camry - it's uncorked, sounds great and moves quickly.

I think I'd be more worried that my "sweet boxer 6" Porsche just lost to a car with a "Camry" motor.
The only Toyota that sounds better than the Evora is the LFA...

Toyota dealership can do the oil changes... Heck they can do the brake & transmission fluid too... Or pretty much anyone that is a solid mechanic. Lotus is good for the DIY mechanic.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Billj747
400hp and 0-60 in 4.2 seconds makes it the "Fastest Lotus ever"? I'm not sure that figure is correct since the Esprit hit 60 in 4.3 with "350hp" and the last 10-20 in production were rumored to be tweaked to 'over 400hp'.

Still not in love with the Evora and would probably pick the Cayman GTS or even a 4C.
Fastest would be top speed. Quickest would be 0-60 or 1/4 mile.

Still, last I checked, 4.2s is faster than 4.3s.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1424381123' post='23512263
Yeah, but in a Porsche, I get a sweet boxer 6 that's inherently balanced and packaged to sit as low in the chassis as possible. Not a boosted version of a V6 initially designed for shared duty in Camrys, Avalons, and Siennas. (Damn lucky, the engine that gets shipped off to Lotus - I bet he's laughing at his ass off at his assembly line siblings slated for soccer mom duty in a mini-van.) Something about that shared engine just feels wrong to me in a sports car. I mean, it'd be one thing if it was something manly sounding like a coyote or LS, but its a freakin' Camry motor. The Camry is the polar opposite of driving excitement. Sorry, it just kinda ruins it by association for me.

(Apologies to the lotus guys. Brilliant cars, I just can't get past this...)
my exige has a toyota engine too.... Drive it one time and than ask yourself if you really care lol. The evora handling is sublime. The steering & road feel is amazing.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
my exige has a toyota engine too.... Drive it one time and than ask yourself if you really care lol. The evora handling is sublime. The steering & road feel is amazing.

i was going to say the same thing. If you heard my REV300 "Celica" engine @8000k RPM's, you wouldn't be confusing it with a Toyota...

But if I needed to replace it, its 2k for a replacement or 5-6k for a built engine. I see that as a positive vs a negative

Quick Reply: New lotus Evora 400