Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The new Supra - who wanted this?

Old 05-20-2019, 07:09 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

The number of crybabies whining about the supra being a rebadged BMW is too damn high.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:12 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven
The number of crybabies whining about the supra being a rebadged BMW is too damn high.
Ironic. Honestly, what else would you expect when Toyota rebadges a BMW and then sells it as their own? The new Supra is what it is, but it is here primarily as the result of a marketing exercise on the part of Toyota. That doesn’t mean that it is a bad car or a good car. Ultimately the car will be judged for what it truly is over the course of time. I feel that the current backlash is due to plenty of people being able to sense a less than genuine presentation when they see it.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:41 AM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
No kidding. Another "Sport CUV", woo hoo. That commercial is both irritating and depressing.

With few exceptions like the Miata, most car companies no longer make sports cars. Most performance-oriented cars today would be considered GT's instead. Not that there is anything wrong with that if a GT is what you want. At some point the GT will be a thing of the past as manufacturers place more emphasis on self-driving cars. At that point I imagine that people will be arguing over the sport self-driving cars.
100% disagree. Detroit is pumping out some pretty awesome cars. If weight is your one criteria for a “sports car”, then yes, you’re right. Go take a spin in a 350 or ZL1 and tell me they’re not sports cars. Nothing wrong with going to the track, putting down some killer track times, and then going home with your cooled seats on. Very soon we’ll have a rear mid engine Corvette. It’s a pretty awesome time to be a car enthusiast, unless you’re hung up on tiny two seaters that can barely fit an adult taller than 5’ 8”.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:07 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

No kidding. Another "Sport CUV", woo hoo. That commercial is both irritating and depressing.

With few exceptions like the Miata, most car companies no longer make sports cars. Most performance-oriented cars today would be considered GT's instead. Not that there is anything wrong with that if a GT is what you want. At some point the GT will be a thing of the past as manufacturers place more emphasis on self-driving cars. At that point I imagine that people will be arguing over the sport self-driving cars.
You guys fetishize the Miata too much.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

What if Honda did the same and we have a new S2000 based on the Z4.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by ssbfgc
100% disagree. Detroit is pumping out some pretty awesome cars. If weight is your one criteria for a “sports car”, then yes, you’re right. Go take a spin in a 350 or ZL1 and tell me they’re not sports cars. Nothing wrong with going to the track, putting down some killer track times, and then going home with your cooled seats on. Very soon we’ll have a rear mid engine Corvette. It’s a pretty awesome time to be a car enthusiast, unless you’re hung up on tiny two seaters that can barely fit an adult taller than 5’ 8”.
Please show me where I said that Detroit is not pumping out some pretty awesome cars? Those awesome cars just don't happen to be sports cars in my opinion.

I've brought this up once before around here somewhere. This article from Road & Track covers it pretty well for me: No One Knows What "Sports Car" Actually Means Anymore
Old 05-20-2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ealand0001
You guys fetishize the Miata too much.
Nice try. I only mention the Miata because it is one of the few remaining cars that I would consider to be a sports car.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by 00S2K01S4
What if Honda did the same and we have a new S2000 based on the Z4.
You just tapped directly into the core of why so many people are less than enthusiastic about how the new Supra came to be. Well done.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel that the current backlash is due to plenty of people being able to sense a less than genuine presentation when they see it.
Very true. Everyone is so caught up in that because Toyota chose to name the car "Supra," but How does it Drive? By all accounts it is a fun and exciting car with a different character than the Z4. If I was in the market for a $50K sport coupe, this would be one of the cars I would consider when making my decision regardless of name.

I think with all the impending push toward electrification and automation, most automakers (driven by their board of directors) are looking to invest their money in battery technology and self-driving technology than on a new turbo straight 6 gasoline engine (Mazda being an exception with the SKYACTIV X technology).
Old 05-20-2019, 02:45 PM

From what I can tell any backlash is basically coming from car enthusiasts. But the Supra is no doubt to serve as a halo product for Toyota. The success of this car will definitely not be determined solely by Supra sales alone. It is also the potential buyers of the Camry, Corolla, etc. that Toyota is hoping will see the Supra in a positive light.

Quick Reply: The new Supra - who wanted this?