Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Purchasing Car Out of State Need Advice

Old 09-19-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Purchasing Car Out of State Need Advice

Been considering purchasing a r32 Skyline about 900 miles from me great price and from the great number of pictures I've received looks like a great vehicle. We have agreed upon shipping the car back from PA to TN and aside from the obvious you should see a car before buying is there any way you can safely pay for the vehicle while still being protected assuring you would receive what you bought and if not get your money back? Seller seems very legit but in the end that's not always everything.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:10 AM

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,000 Posts

If it's really that good a car I'd want to see it first and drive it back home. Unless this is a race car (32R-GT?) and needs a trailer. I'd still want to see/test it.

Protection? Buying used cars is "as is" with no warranty expressed or implied. That's why I want to see/test. Deceitful sellers will deliberately misrepresent what they're selling. Honest sellers are often unaware of defects. "As is." Buyer beware. This goes for any private purchase, even something as simple as a pistol. Make sure it meets your requirements before you buy it.

As a honest seller I want cash in case the buyer decides he made a poor decision buying my "as is" item. Yep, there are deceitful buyers too!

-- Chuck
Old 09-20-2014, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few years ago I found an S2000, exact year and color I wanted, 4k under KBB, 700 miles away. The car was at a dealer so I figured I would probably be ok, just having them ship it to me. Every one I talked to though told me DO NOT buy a car you have never driven.

I placed a $500 deposit and was assured if I found anything wrong with the car I would get my deposit back, then I flew down to see the car. I found a few things wrong with it, stereo not working a bit of wear in the top but otherwise perfect. I bought the car drove it back and have put 70k trouble free miles on it.... I got lucky.. If the car had been junk I would have had to buy another plane ticket for who knows how much and would have just wasted money flying around. I probably wouldn't ever do this again unless the car was in the 30k+ range.

No matter what the seller has told you, what pictures or videos you have seen you cannot trust this guy. You need to fly down and look at the car and drive it back if you really want it. The only other possible option is to find a dealer/shop that will inspect the car and send you the info on it directly. If you do this you need to pick the shop and pay for the inspection yourself.

If you can't afford the round trip flight you probably can't afford to keep up something like a skyline (assuming it is a GT-R and they are just like every other sports car in maintenance costs). The bottom line is you need to go see this car if you do not you likelihood of getting screwed is much higher.

Don't make a huge mistake just go see the car, either way your going to be happy. Either you find the car is perfect, have a new skyline and do not have to pay shipping or you saved your self a huge financial burden.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mongomery1234
Been considering purchasing a r32 Skyline about 900 miles from me great price and from the great number of pictures I've received looks like a great vehicle. We have agreed upon shipping the car back from PA to TN and aside from the obvious you should see a car before buying is there any way you can safely pay for the vehicle while still being protected assuring you would receive what you bought and if not get your money back? Seller seems very legit but in the end that's not always everything.

a few choices.... is the seller on ebay? if so, do they have good feedback?

and / or pay for an inspection of the car at a PA nissan dealer.... then possibly ask them to take care of the paperwork

if none of that seems to work, hop on a plane or make the long ass drive....

where in PA is it? I am in Harrisburg... get somoene on this board to go check it out... if all goes well ask the seller to take the title to his bank then use them as a 3rd party... confirm that as you send $ the bank has the title fed ex'd to you.

i have purchased at least 15 unseen cars and have only gotten a horrible description and shady pics once...and that was from a Honda Dealership in Iowa.... all of the private deals i have done have turned out great. i assume this is a decent amount of $ you are paying... good luck...
Old 09-20-2014, 08:18 PM

There's no way that I would purchase a car without seeing it first. Unless I was really wealthy and I had the money to fix any problems that it may come with. I would just hop on a plane and have the seller meet me at the airport with the car so I can check it out. I would purchase a plane ticket to not worry about what I am purchasing. But that's just me.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:11 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mongomery1234
We have agreed upon shipping the car back from PA to TN and aside from the obvious you should see a car before buying is there any way you can safely pay for the vehicle while still being protected assuring you would receive what you bought and if not get your money back?
I've bought several cars without seeing them in person. Each time, the pictures were as described. Best advice if you are concerned on the car; have the seller bring it to a dealer or body shop for pre-purchase inspection on your coin. Considering the price of your car, maybe they'll split the cost 50-50 if you complete the purchase? If the car is stock and under warranty, I'd be more concerned with the body than the mechanicals. If it's highly modified; good luck to you. I've usually lowered the cost $500 because I am shipping the car and they know I won't be able to take advantage of the purchase state's Lemon Laws. CarFax is not the end all for collision damage at all, so best to have an expert look it over. Not saying you should walk away from a car with paintwork, but you should know what you have.

Do they have complete history on service? Do they have the previous owner's name? Make sure you get the actual truck driver's name, not a broker for shipping the car. Expect to have paintless dent removal done on your when you get it.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:06 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

https://escrow.com/services/vehicle-escrow.aspx

good service from what i have read for handling such transactions. I believe there were some members here that have used this before.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:25 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

As with Scot, I am also in PA. I am near the Pittsburgh area. PM me if you'd like me to check this car out for you. I would gladly do so!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:43 AM

Is this the 89 gts-t gray one for sale in Philly area? Think I saw it pop up on facebook. He wanted 10K firm
Old 09-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scot
Originally Posted by mongomery1234' timestamp='1411171057' post='23337985

a few choices.... is the seller on ebay? if so, do they have good feedback?

and / or pay for an inspection of the car at a PA nissan dealer.... then possibly ask them to take care of the paperwork

if none of that seems to work, hop on a plane or make the long ass drive....

where in PA is it? I am in Harrisburg... get somoene on this board to go check it out... if all goes well ask the seller to take the title to his bank then use them as a 3rd party... confirm that as you send $ the bank has the title fed ex'd to you.

i have purchased at least 15 unseen cars and have only gotten a horrible description and shady pics once...and that was from a Honda Dealership in Iowa.... all of the private deals i have done have turned out great. i assume this is a decent amount of $ you are paying... good luck...

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
As with Scot, I am also in PA. I am near the Pittsburgh area. PM me if you'd like me to check this car out for you. I would gladly do so!
I bought 2 expensive cars site unseen. Both I had inspected before taking delivery. THe first one I kind of went on faith in making the payment, the second was through a broker. Both went smoothly. On a car like a skyline I'd get it inspected for sure. I'd throw a little money to Scot or Dizings to check out the car and trade your check for a title at the time it's to be done if you don't go up yourself.

Quick Reply: Purchasing Car Out of State Need Advice