Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 or Hyundai Genesis 2.0 T

Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rosario717
It's a hyundai!!! Their quality is not on par with the japanese automakers out there. I sell cars for a living cant help but laugh at people comparing kias and hyundais to hondas n toyotas.. They dont make sports cars either so its a no brainer to rule out the genesis as a fun to drive car compared to others in its class.. Im not convinced to even consider a hyundai or kia until they have proven track records of 100,000 miles with stock engine n trans on a normal basis.. If you dont believe me as Joeyballs on this forum about his experience with his new hyundai..
We bought a 01 Santa Fe with 118,000 on the clock and my daughter has put another 40k or so on it. I have no idea what the folks that owned it before us put it through. We've had to replace a rear wheel bearing and a power steering hose so far. It looks like the other power steering hose is about to go, so call it two. It burns no oil and basically runs like a watch. I'm not complaining.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
I pulled away from a v6 gen coupe in my S (not sure if he backed off or they are just that slow) but that car has 60 hp more than the S. They are just heavy and really Hyundai does not have the racing history that Honda does. Really it comes down to whats most important. The S will be more fun to drive and just feel better than the gen because its a bespoke sports car. Hyundai just lacks the history to really build a great sports car. They are getting better but its just not there. However the Hyundai would have a warrenty and be a brand new car so there is peace of mind with that. The S2000 is a very reliable car if its been taken care of but that kinda goes for any car right? Best thing to do is drive a few s2000's and a few Gensis coupes and see what you think.
The V6 Genesis is probably the slowest 300 hp RWD car on the market. Seriously - it is way down in acceleration compared to most other 300 hp cars.

0-60 in 5.4s-5.9s
1/4 mile in 14.2s @ 99 mph

So, it's a dead even run with a decently driven S2000 with the 300 hp V6.

InsideLine got 0-60 in 5.3s and 1/4 in 13.6s @ 104.1 mph out of the new one with the 350 hp V6 so it's decently quicker than the original and definitely ahead of an S2000 now.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:32 PM

It's pretty difficult to drive an s2000 and not want to take it home with you
Old 04-22-2012, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yesterday I instructed @ a DE for a student w/ a well-setup (coilovers, adj sways, etc.) Genesis V6 Track. It performed pretty darn well, and I was surprised how well it hustled around the track. It ended up blowing coolant, and the brakes faded near the end of the last session, though.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 PM

The most special part of the car, you shift after everyone else has hit redline, crazy feeling makes the adrenaline flow. Genesis will be a more practical car, so if that's what you need then consider that requirement. S is not really a highway cruiser though if you like listening to the radio at speed, a hardtop car is better for that, or get the hardtop.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Banned

You just described a s2000.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2012, 01:28 PM

last year i was in same position as you @Grillo. i test drove a genesis 2.0t and while i enjoyed the car, i felt that it was hard to shift, lacked alot of style and just the sporty feel i was looking for. so i picked up my s2k and definitely dont regret it. it has the sporty feel i wanted, gets pretty decent gas mileage (depending on how i drive it). being a honda, you wont have to do too much work on it (unless someone beat the hell out of it before you pick it up) and the repairs arent extremely expensive. my advice, wait til you find the right s2k to come around and you wont regret it. plus it would be nicer to have a drop top in florida anyways.

hope this was helpful and good luck finding the right ride
Old 04-23-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by rios2k41
last year i was in same position as you @Grillo. i test drove a genesis 2.0t and while i enjoyed the car, i felt that it was hard to shift, lacked alot of style and just the sporty feel i was looking for. so i picked up my s2k and definitely dont regret it. it has the sporty feel i wanted, gets pretty decent gas mileage (depending on how i drive it). being a honda, you wont have to do too much work on it (unless someone beat the hell out of it before you pick it up) and the repairs arent extremely expensive. my advice, wait til you find the right s2k to come around and you wont regret it. plus it would be nicer to have a drop top in florida anyways.

Yea, i think i found the s2k i like. 2005 55k miles . extremely clean. owned by a girl. her dad is the service manager at Honda. so the car has only been serviced at Honda. i offered them 14k. they are going to accept my offer. Black on black. very clean car hopefully i get it this week.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:47 AM

you can not find anything better than a s2000. nuff said ! ! !
Old 04-25-2012, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Grillo
Originally Posted by rios2k41' timestamp='1335130118' post='21632592

Yea, i think i found the s2k i like. 2005 55k miles . extremely clean. owned by a girl. her dad is the service manager at Honda. so the car has only been serviced at Honda. i offered them 14k. they are going to accept my offer. Black on black. very clean car hopefully i get it this week.

Really??? 14k... that's it... Should be higher than that. Oh well. Good buy! Congrats! The S is a great car!

BTW - Rosario717 - I would have to agree with you about Hyundai a couple years ago but now, no way! joeyballs apparently got a monday car, just unfortunate. Wife has a 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE and we absolutely love the car, had it almost 2 years. Much better build quality than Toyota and Honda, the interior of the car is far superior than the Camry and Accord, not counting the amenities either. I felt more comfortable driving the Sonata every way in compared to the Honda and sorry not putting wife in Camry's braking issues, I still hate that car (Extremely complacent). I actually prefer the Optima over the Sonata but at the time, the new Optima wasn't out yet and the turbo versions weren't even known to the public at that time. We've loved the car and we've had about 10+ family and friends switch over to Hyundai, purchasing nearly every single model even the Equus (father owns) - which may fall a little short compared to the Merc S550 (father-in-laws owns) for $40-50k less, a couple year old 911 in the stable more than makes up for it.

Wife and I purchasing the new Hyundai Santa Fe (Sport) Turbo when it comes out, want a little bigger vehicle.

To bring it all back to topic. I've driven the new 3.8 Genesis coupe, I really liked it. Obviously different driving dynamics between the two but it definitely was faster than my S2K and sounds wicked inside the cabin for being stock. Oh, I also lost at the light in front of the dealership, I mean at the airport... I mean overseas...

I haven't driven the new 2.0T yet but the previous one was definitely pretty slow, the new one should be light years better. It's all about how you feel. Might want to consider insurance rates as well. I've heard some teenagers being charged a premium for an S2k, sorry don't know your age. Either way, your getting a good fun daily driver and a track capable car or your getting a open top, fun, less amenities daily and a track monster... Enjoy your S especially if you're getting that price!

Quick Reply: S2000 or Hyundai Genesis 2.0 T