Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 vs. Older Porsche Boxster S.... Have you owned both?

Old 12-09-2016, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A coworker has one (can't remember exact year; mid 2000's).

He's had it a few years.....I've never seen it. It has spent more time broken than not. Even when running, he doesn't trust it to make the drive to work (40 mile round-trip).

He's told me all the issues, but all I can recall is ignition coils and a head-gasket.

It also doesn't help that we live in a somewhat rural area (one one shop around that will/can work on it).

He told me once what he has spent in repairs, and it's approaching 5 figures.....

That said, I fully acknowledge that he may have purchased a dud (doubt he fully researched the particular car before buying).
Old 12-09-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

My Cayman is closing in on 60k miles. I recently replaced the water pump, and while the belts were off, all of the accessory pulleys. It's also due for a new set of rotors all around. But that's all just maintance, not repairs. The headliner recently dropped and I had to get it redone. Oh, and I had a rattling heatshield on one of the cats or exhaust pipes. Overall though, it's been solid mechanically.

All of my other headaches pretty much point the finger at the turbo. The clutch, flywheel, PP, and throwout bearing had to be replaced at 56k miles. I had a weld fail on the turbo manifold during a track day once. The boots on the halfshalfs dried out and cracked prematurely (heat related, I'm sure, from the hot snail directly adjacent to them). Just recently we discovered that the intercooler radiator had sprung a leak, and ran the pump dry. New intercooler water pump, and had to remove the front end of the car to get access to the radiator. And for some reason, the Cayman just seems to eat tires...

Keep in mind, this turbo has been on the car for ~40k miles and 7+ years. I've owned it a little over 4 years. Interestingly enough...when I look back at my maintenance log, I've put around $14k into the car over 4 years of ownership...but that's everything - maintenance, repairs, tires, new wheels, upgraded suspension, etc. And half of that in the last year (clutch, water pumps, tires, etc.). But a lot of those are big items that I won't need to touch again for the next few years. Still, it's easy to see that the S2000 has a much lower cost of ownership.

The s2000 has only had a few issues. Had a bad coil pack leave me stranded once (how many people can say they had to drive their Porsche when their Honda broke down? Lol...). Replaced a bad clutch master cylinder twice now (lifespan seems to be 6-7 years). Replaced a leaking differential mount. But I've also had to replace rotors, replace the top. Heck, I even re-covered the seats. I've had it for 86k miles over 14 years. So not a bad track record overall... Now I'm curious to look up my S2000 log and see what I've put into it over the years (but it's on my home PC).
Old 12-09-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
The s2000 has only had a few issues. Had a bad coil pack leave me stranded once (how many people can say they had to drive their Porsche when their Honda broke down? Lol...). Replaced a bad clutch master cylinder twice now (lifespan seems to be 6-7 years). Replaced a leaking differential mount. But I've also had to replace rotors, replace the top. Heck, I even re-covered the seats. I've had it for 86k miles over 14 years. So not a bad track record overall... Now I'm curious to look up my S2000 log and see what I've put into it over the years (but it's on my home PC).
Those are definitely the main fault points. The top is so fragile, and the clutch MC is destined to leak. But pretty minor, inexpensive stuff (except the top... I'm curious how long most soft tops last). The S2k rotors cost a small fraction of what Cayman rotors cost.

In 3.5 years and 23k I put in like $400 towards maintenance/repairs on the S2k, including oil (good Amsoil synthetic) but not tires or track pads. That is dirt cheap for a daily driven sports car that saw 5 track days.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:26 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I wasn't trying to imply that the Cayman is cheaper/easier to maintain than the S2000. Basically nothing can compete in that category. But it's still not bad. I didn't mention problems with the TPMS sensors, but they are a PITA. Constantly telling me I'm having problems, but last year when I took it to Discount Tire they said the sensors were fine. I already bought another set ($130 for all 4) which I'm sure will need to be installed soon. But the expense for any of that is pretty minor.

I didn't mention brake replacement b/c that's routine, but a front set of rotors is roughly $290.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

After having sold my S2000 for a Cayman I would say this: there are times I miss the S2000.

I like the Cayman more in pretty much every respect. But I don't feel comfortable leaving it some places like in a mall parking lot or at a movie theater where there might be a ton of teens hanging out looking to mess with something. And before anybody says I am not giving teens a fair shake, I hung out with a big group of teens like I am describing that would just mess with other people's stuff. But that means on an everyday basis I would get to enjoy the S more just because I would drive it more.

I was less worried about the S. It was 15 years old and did not stick out as much. I sometimes miss the top down, sometimes I don't.

Also, the S2000 was rock solid for me but if something broke I could find a replacement part without a second mortgage.

But as far as used Cayman/Boxsters go, 2009-2012 S's are a pretty good deal money wise if you find a low miler. I felt my 2014 981 was less so, but I found a decent deal with a warranty and I thought they might retain a lot of value as the last of the flat sixes. But if you are looking a couple years out, the new base model fours are performing close to what S's did a couple years ago and they depreciate faster than S models. I would imagine you could get a pretty new car with a decent certified warranty on a 4 cyl base Boxster/Cayman in a couple years, and the revised wheelbase, steering rack, and interior fit and finish really outclass the 987's by a long shot even though I really like those cars. But in say summer of 2018 you will probably find base Boxster/Caymans in the thirties that do sixty in well under 5 seconds and have all the modern stuff on it rather than pulling the trigger now on a 987. You lose the flat six, but everything else is better, especially if you want PDK which the continually improve on. (I went with a manual)
Old 12-13-2016, 04:49 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
You lose the flat six, but everything else is better, especially if you want PDK which the continually improve on. (I went with a manual)
Almost everything. 987's steering feel blows the 981's out of the water.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Almost everything. 987's steering feel blows the 981's out of the water.
Eh. I drove both and am totally fine with the 981's. It has plenty of feedback for me just not as much as the 987. If you want numb steering drive my 3 series. You can barely tell it is connected to the front wheels.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:01 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Eh. I drove both and am totally fine with the 981's. It has plenty of feedback for me just not as much as the 987. If you want numb steering drive my 3 series. You can barely tell it is connected to the front wheels.
It's really not an issue unless you're driving at the hairy limit.

There's one low speed corner at Homestead, nearly a 180 hairpin, where if you nail the max speed through there right at the limit of grip, any additional steering input results in a tiny bit of audible tire squeal, and the steering goes light as the tires slip. The steering wheel tells you exactly what the tires are doing at the limit. It's almost magical when you find that threshold...the car really talks to you.