Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

some people cannot accept how humble my car is.......

Old 01-14-2002, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some people cannot accept how humble my car is.......

I took a coworker home last night because she is 16 w/o a car and does not have a good family support system in place at home. When I unlocked the door for her, she asked of I wanted her to take her shoes off so the mats would not get dirty. I said "no, just get in....it's only a car". She replied "it's not just a car, it's a Miata." I let this go.
I start the car and "Confusion" from Blade starts playing. She looked back and wanted to know where the sound was coming from. I told her the headrest speakers were doing it. Her jaw damn near hit the seat. I said again, "its nothing special really".

We are under way, and I take a freeway merger ramp to another freeway at about 67. I then accelerate to merge. I climbed to 7000 and then got in my lane and slowed to 60. While riding, she was touching the chrome of the e brake, and shifter and is just in tune with the music, which she turned up by the way. I look over, and her eyes are closed and she is just bobbing her head to the music. She was just in another place.

I drop her at her home. When she got out, she told me this is the most awesome car in the world. I said "thank you, but it's really a humble car. It's not the flashiest, nor the most expensive, or even the fastest; but, it's fine for me. If you need a ride again, let me know." She gave me gas money and I waited until she was in the house and I left.

I am a very humble person and it kind of bothers me when people dote on my car. I don't mind talking about it, but I'm on my 4th Miata. I see only metal, plastic, glass and rubber. Why can't they?
Old 01-14-2002, 06:54 PM

Your right...it's just a Miata.
Old 01-14-2002, 07:04 PM

I think it is really a good thing of what you done.
too bad there are many unfortunate in the world....For as a car enthusiast, I want everyone in the world to experience a nice car or ideal car they think. But i know there will never happen.

Sorry I have to dote a bit about your car too. In my humble opinion, I think the Miata is a very nice car. I don't think fast and performance is the only things part of a car. each car should have their own character and suitable type of owner. the Miata is a very balance car and it can bring alot fun to its owner.

Just my thought...
Old 01-15-2002, 08:39 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it wasn't for Mazda's wonderful little Miata we probably wouldn't have our S2000's. If my wonderful little Miata hadn't given up it's life to save mine I know I wouldn't have my S2000. Kudos to the Miata!
Old 01-15-2002, 08:54 AM

I have felt the same way about some of my cars in the past. I had an '89 GMC Jimmy when I was going through photography school and my attitude towards that vehicle was that it was a "tool" or a "extra-large camera bag." I abused that poor SUV something awful. Got 175K miles out of it, but I rarely washed it, went 10,000 miles between oil changes, spilled battery acid in the back, you name it.

Now, the S2000 is, to me, far more than "just a car." To my wife's never-ending amusement, I dote over this 14-foot thing of beauty. Always washing it, waxing it, polishing it; and I cover it at night. My goal is to keep her in pristine condition, while still driving her every day, until it's a collector's item (hopefully) or I hand the keys over to my child (only if I'm driving an NSX or Viper by that time!)
Old 01-16-2002, 07:44 PM

Sounds like the chick was high as hell.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:04 PM

Gas money? I don't know anyone pay for gas when I drive them? I wonder why? It would be nice thought. J/K
Old 01-16-2002, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by johnyboy32
Your right...it's just a Miata.
Yup... j/k touching story.. some people just aren't as fortunate as us. I have an S2 and I'm 16
Old 01-17-2002, 06:39 PM

kamehamaha, thanks for posting that story. It certianly brightened my day Sometimes it's easy to forget how fortunate we are to be driving these fine machines. The next time I drop the top on my S, I'll be sure to remember your story.

BTW, I agree that black is a badass color for your car. I used to own a black miata!