Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking to upgrade to M3 E92 - am i crazy?

Old 06-03-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you thought about a C6 Grand Sport or Z06? If you need the back seat, what about a Boss 302 Mustang Those cars would be lots of fun imo, to the point where you probably won't miss the S as much as if you went the M3 route. If you need a nice interior, perhaps a C63 AMG would be cool as well, if not going the manual transmission route.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

What is your price range? Not sure what 2010 M3s are going for at this point.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

well, if Boxster S 987 gen II have reliable engines - it's definitely a good option for me. love driving topless
just looked at it's consumables cost and it's not very bad.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got back from Charlotte where a friend of mine picked up an '09 E92 M3 for roughly $42,7xx with 21k miles. Going off the KBB, it's a bit of a deal and I love everything about that car. Except maintenance costs. It is not a cheap car to own or service. Amazing to drive, but not cheap.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:09 PM

I'll add my two cents. I own an AP1 and an E92 M3; both are stock. Most of this stuff is already known, but hopefully it may be helpful.

For context, I am a big fan of Caymans as well and plan to own one at some point in time. It seems that a logical progression from S2K owners is to Caymans and for some, M3 cars. I almost bought a previous gen Cayman, but ended up with an M3--when I was looking, I figured that I'd be happy with either car, even though they aren't similar in all facets.

Onto the comparison:

S2K
+ cheap to operate
+ lighter
+ more of a go kart feeling

- much slower
- minimal space
- much louder (less sound deadening and not a coupe, of course)

M3
+ seats are a lot more adjustable and comfortable
+ more space (trunk is longish, and you have quite a bit of space once you fold down the rear seats)
+ steering feel and feedback is much better

- definitely can feel the weight
- maintenance and parts cost a lot more
- manual transmission is typical BMW feel (a little notch at times)--does not compete with the S2K's transmission; having said that, my preference is to drive a stick shift car, so I was not interested in a DCT M3

Other observations:
- swapping between the two, the M3 feels like a GT car in comparison--you definitely notice the larger size and the weight; the M3 feels fantastic on highways
- both cars you should rev it out to really have fun
- lots more luxury and tech in M3, but that's expected since it's a newer platform and priced at a different point
- I like the little "power dome" on the hood of the M3, and also like the wider-looking track/wheels compared to a regular 3 series

- the M3 is mainly more of everything, when directly compared with the S2K: more power, higher limits, more $$ to keep running, more weight, and so on

Don't know if you're aware, but BMW recommends a specific synthetic oil for M engines that they sell at their dealerships; in addition, the car requires more oil. And yes, the M eats a ton of gas.

I used to own an E39 M5, and similar to when I had that car, I set aside a larger contingency maintenance/repair fund, just in case.

I've always loved my S2K and have owned it for many years, but I also really like my M3. Depends on what driving qualities are most important for you.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

I'd never own a used M3 out of warranty.

I have never owned one BUT my brother has had his "08 since new. He beats the sh!t out of it and the car has had it's issues. If you know the previous owner and the life the car has lived.... then maybe a used one. Otherwise, never used and out of warranty.

As I've posted here, the wife and I are doing a 2015 435i M-Sport Coupe. European Delivery @ $1000 over invoice. 300hp stock and just $600 for 60 more hp (plug and play). Not a monster but still respectable.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

this is what i'm afraid of with M3 that it will be too far from gokart feeling, and very bad at auto-x....

with Boxster i'm still afraid of huge maintenance bills.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc
this is what i'm afraid of with M3 that it will be too far from gokart feeling, and very bad at auto-x....

with Boxster i'm still afraid of huge maintenance bills.
Once you get over the fact the the S2000 will never be replicated (at least afordably)and the days of light weight are gone, the car world opens up to you. The higher the HP the more it cost to own. Not to many high HP cars have small tires anymore most are 18-20 inches now. My 335 (modded goes through rear tires evey 9k miles) Is the M3 and autocross car? Nope, but it was not made for that. Can it do similar or better times at auto X compared to an S? Yes, but it will not feel like an S. I will say that being on track with the M3 is a blast and I like it more than when I had my S on track but I have always liked GT style cars. Do I miss my S? Yes. Would I by another? probably not. You have to go drive an M3 with the competition package and drive it hard. Just putting around town with it and you wont think much of it.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:56 AM

For autocross or small track, I really like a S2000 or even a supercharged Miata would be more fun than a M3.

If you are happy with the S2000 but want more performance, you should think about rim/tire, brake and suspension, maybe some weight reduction. I would make more power the last priority.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:27 AM

Boosted S2000 with supporting mods (suspension, brakes, driveline) would make for a better car IMO, for less money. This is the route I will take with my next toy.. I miss it.

Quick Reply: Thinking to upgrade to M3 E92 - am i crazy?