Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Went car shopping yesterday

Old 12-23-2006, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Went car shopping yesterday

I couldn't go dirt biking yesterday since the Avalanche was in the shop, and both my wife and I were off, so we decided to check out some potential future car purchases.

First stop was the Porsche dealership. Alice initially thought the Cayman S interior seemed kind of small, and was not all that favorably inclined. Our salesman was excellent, and throroughly explained all the features in the showroom before proceeding to a demo. They're expensive, but I was really impressed w/ the quality of construction/materials and cargo space.

First drive was w/ the salesman, who gave me a taste of what it would do. He punched it hard, and took me through a FAST sweeper that had me praying at the altar of Dr. Ferry Porsche! My S2000 may have made it through at a similar speed, but the Cayman S was perfectly composed, w/ no drama. Next, he let my wife and I take it out. Bottom line, this car seems like it was made for me (other than the price tag). All the controls felt wonderful, and the engine sounds were like a symphony. I've often heard people say who needs music in an S2000, but this was much more melodious sounding. Power was great, not super fast, but hp/tq. everywhere and enough to have fun w/o getting in too much trouble. Alice drove it too, and she's in love as well! More than any of the others, I feel this could be the last sports car I'd ever need to buy. I love having a convertible, but everything about this car is so badass that I'd happily live w/o being able to go topless.

Next up was the BMW dealer. I met w/ the salesman who sold me my S2000, and after briefly showing off the Bluetooth integration and a few other neat features, he sent us off on a lengthy 335i sedan (6sp mt, sport package) test drive. This car would replace Alice's Jetta, not the S, and was also very impressive. It had loads of power, and handled very well on a twisty backroad by sports sedan stds. This has to be the ultimate "do it all" car, and if I had to have one vehicle for everything, this would be it. The downsides were a somewhat bland looking dashboard and uninspiring engine note, but overall it's a great car. Alice also noted that she wouldn't enjoy our Hill Country drives in it, b/c she'd get motion sickness from the swaying around.

Last stop w/ the Chevy dealer, convenient b/c we had to p/u my Avalanche from servicing. They had a loaded Z51 6sp. coupe, and thought it was so special that we weren't allowed to take it out by ourselves. First impressions were that it's much bigger feeling behind the wheel than the other two, and had monstrous power. I'd never feel the need to make any powertrain mods! It rode and handled well, albeit lacking in steering feel vs. the Cayman S. The engine sounded good under full acceleration and was quiet at crusing speeds. When taking off moderately, though, the tranny or diff sounded kind of truck-like. It def. wasn't the aural orgasm that the Porsche provided! Regardless, it was a fantastic car, and the ability to have dual solid/clear removable tops is a big plus. I qualify for a GM Supplier discount, so I'd also be able to get it for $20K less than the Cayman S similarly equipped.

I'm going to try to hang onto my S2000 for another 6-12 months at least, and will re-evaluate after I cash out some remaining stock options. The BMW is out, and it will be down to the Cayman S vs. Z51 depending on how my investments perform until then.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow good luck! I was in the same position several months ago. It was between a Cayman S (PASM, 19 Sport Carrera wheels, sports steering wheel) and the Z51 vette. It was a tough choice.

Here are my thoughts:

CAYMAN S - Handling on this car is unmatched! There is something to be said about a mid-engine design. Acceleration is nice (nothing to write home about) far better than the s2000. but there are two other qualities of this vehicle that has impressed me far more than any other vehicle I have ever drove. The LOOKS and the high quality of the car. This car is so classy! The lines are timeless, ten years from now, the car will still be eye candy! The car is so easy to drive daily, especially with the PASM. The PASM on the "normal" setting is prefect for the streets (especially if you have 19 inch rims). The sport setting is nice when you want to drive more agressively or take it to the track.

Vette - I was pretty impressed with the power and handling. I will tell you I got a chance to flog it for about an hour. You know what's funny about power? You get used to it very quickly and find yourself wanting more! Although the car handled well, it felt......big. I thought the interior was nice, leaps and bounds above the previous vette. I was shocked at how quiet the interior was at highway speeds. This car would def. get me into trouble quick! On my test drive I saw 2 other vettes, the car is pretty common.

My girlfriend and were awed by the performance of the vette but fell in love with the Cayman. We wanted a car that we would be satisfied with for 7-8 years. And the Cayman fit the bill.

Bobby

Here are pics of my car

http://www.caymanclub.net/showthread.php?t...hlight=hwangtkd
Old 12-23-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All are great cars but if you're holding off another 6-12 months you might want to hold off and drive the next M3. It will be a 335i on steriods with better handling. All of your choices are great...I love the way the Cayman S drives as well but can't get past the hideous exterior. The C6 is unmatched in terms of bang for your buck sports car and the interior is a vast improvement over the C5 but not quite where I would like it to be just yet. Good luck with your choice...I don't think you'll be dissappointed with any of the cars you mentioned.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:34 PM

Bobby, I'm 100% in agreement w/ your thoughts, I could have written your post myself.

Derryck, I happen to LOVE the Cayman S styling inside and out! I wouldn't consider an M3 as a sports car replacement, though I'm sure it will be nice.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:23 PM

cant agree with u about the cayman. different stroke for diff folks, but porsche engines sound hollow and raspy imo and while you call it composed, i found it way less exciting and connected to the road.

glad you had a fun day.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of these three the first one I would eliminate would be the Corvette. I dislike any car that uses an engine bigger than 5.0L. 3-series is too small for my taste, so 5-series is the perfect choice. Cayman S is a hot car that doesn't cost as much as other super two-seated cars, and Porsche vehicles got high rate in the reliability department from J.D. Power lately, very trustworthy.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I would hate to see my S2000 go buh-bye....but I would love to have a Cayman S. Not quite a 911, but still an asolutely stunning car in all characteristics that count in every day driving.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35,Dec 23 2006, 06:24 PM
Out of these three the first one I would eliminate would be the Corvette. I dislike any car that uses an engine bigger than 5.0L. 3-series is too small for my taste, so 5-series is the perfect choice.
Just curious, what's wrong w/ a big engine, and how did you arrive at the arbitrary cutoff of 5.0L? I can't see any downsides to the C6's engine displacement - the engine is relatively compact/lightweight, and real-world fuel economy seems at least as good (if not better) than the S2000's.

Re: the BMW's, I've driven a friend's new M5. It was an incredible car, but I prefer the tossability and more usable power of the 335i (not to mention the price!).
Old 12-23-2006, 07:05 PM

Whatever you drive, you'll get used to the power and always, eventually, want more... at least if you're like me. As intoxicating as my first C5 Z06 drives were I eventually wanted even more whenever my right foot was planted in 3rd gear.

When the new M3 hits the market I'll have to get in a Cayman and compare them.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can swing it, I would say the Caymen, but the C6 is a nice car as well.

Quick Reply: Went car shopping yesterday