Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Alfa cherry popped

Old 06-23-2018, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I almost bought a GTV before I got my first S2000! Interested to see what you think Pete!
Old 06-24-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
yep, agree about the weight/position although as one naturally inclined toward large capacity engines I sometimes struggle with the less is more concept

cambelt is on the garage's to-do list

I didn't know about the valve clearances but that be done when the cambelt is done as I understand the cover has to come off to do that job

am also quite interested in the twin spark arrangement - eight plugs for a four doth not compute in gadworld

funny electrics definitely to be expected but as the cars are simple (by today's standards) then issues should not be insurmountable or inaccessible even if they are sometimes illogical

what is surprising is that the buggers were galvanised and how many of the panels are plastic/composite
Yeah - a client had to scrap a 156 because the valves burned out. He constantly uses old Alfas as high-mileage business cars. Seat adjusters jams and buttons don't button and stuff like that, but overall the plan seems to work.

The twin plugs allow the flame front to progress more rapidly, resulting in a cleaner,faster, more thorough burn. They used to be common in earlier times. Borgward even had an F2 engine (used by Cooper) with four valves, twin spark AND direct injection. Needless to say, the chief engineer wasn't entirely happy with the combustion chamber shape he'd compromised upon...

That clamshell bonnet with the spider-eyes was quite a marvel of production in the 916's day. The car was more innovative than many gave it credit for. Amazing what you can do with a FIAT Teapot plank and some lateral thinking.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Rather worryingly I haven't heard anything from the garage for about four days so maybe they are as frazzled as the electrics!

I have the spares car arriving tomorrow.

Who knows, it may end up being saved and the original becoming spare.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit of a trek from you Pete but I used Day & White nr Brands Hatch when I had my Alfa.
Needless to say I got to know them quite well.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GarethB
A bit of a trek from you Pete but I used Day & White nr Brands Hatch when I had my Alfa.
Needless to say I got to know them quite well.
Thanks Gareth. Not sure I'd want to drive that far until the cambelt and another few jobs are done but will bear in mind. The spider I had earmarked for a bit of a rolling resto is still in the garage so no pics but in the meantime the spares car turned up.

The plan is (becoming was) to make one goody out of two but the more I look at this spares car the more I think I might save it. Higher mileage than the other one but it has a good history and lots of new bits.

It is pretty in pink...

Old 07-02-2018, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, I see it's pre-facelift. Post facelift is (supposedly) slightly down on power due to reduced air flow.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:03 PM
Banned

Update

It has only taken six months but the garage have finally sorted out the electrics on my first spider

Had a bizarre fault where the ignition warning light wouldn't go out once the car was running (MOT fail) even though emissions were fine

This has coincided with my Jag needing a couple of bumper off jobs - most importantly an offside headlight - so I will pootle around in the newly MOT'd spider for a bit

We'll see how far I get but I must say it's quite shocking how few older cars I see being used as dailys round here

Meanwhile the V6 sits on blocks and the pink one pictured sleeps in a lockup until spring/summer when its fate will be decided
Old 11-29-2018, 11:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Update

It has only taken six months but the garage have finally sorted out the electrics on my first spider

Had a bizarre fault where the ignition warning light wouldn't go out once the car was running (MOT fail) even though emissions were fine

This has coincided with my Jag needing a couple of bumper off jobs - most importantly an offside headlight - so I will pootle around in the newly MOT'd spider for a bit

We'll see how far I get but I must say it's quite shocking how few older cars I see being used as dailys round here

Meanwhile the V6 sits on blocks and the pink one pictured sleeps in a lockup until spring/summer when its fate will be decided
If by ignition warning light you mean the engine management light then its only an MOT fail if the car is registered on or after the 1st July 2003, what year is the car?
Old 11-30-2018, 01:07 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Old 11-30-2018, 03:08 AM
Banned

Yes, R prefix

Anyway, fail list has gone from mahoosive to three advisories - front tyres getting low and some start of brake pipe corrosion

I will drive it about until it misbehaves or my Jag is fixed, whichever is soonest, then decide whether to move it on or stick to the original plan

Soft top is bit knackered so may have to bodge with silicone for now

The cars aren't worth much but many parts prices (from breakers) are stupid so I can see why some owners would stick to bodged repairs or live with broken components

Quick Reply: Alfa cherry popped