Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Anyone bought or leased anything recently?

Old 10-04-2018, 12:55 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I've not driven a 3 pot in years but don't they just do exactly what Nick describes and make the car feel like it's got a dildo shoved up it's zorst?

Downsizing engines is for people who dgaf

​​​​​​My mum has an UP! Does it warrant the !? I don't think so, it appears to be shit and has really, really shit seats.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:30 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

How do you change the oil on a Ford 1.0 Ecobust? Unscrew the filter & throw the engine in the bin...

Small VWs have always had poor seats and spongey controls but decent NVH. I've never quite 'got' them.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about a skoda?. I know I know, but the garage that used to look after my S has a contract for a large mini cab firm. Out of all the out of warranty cars, he see's the least skoda's. My sister has a superb which apart from having enough boot space to fit an s2000 is really quite comfortable and a decent motorway cruiser. As 'tool' cars I reckon they might be ok
Old 10-04-2018, 09:02 AM

Much better than the other VAG shite, if the stats are anything to go by.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I am a bit underwhelmed by most of these cars

I had a recommendation for a Tiguan today but by God it's a boring looking thing

People knock the Juke but at least it looks a bit different and I'm realising if I'm not that bothered by the performance I am most definitely bothered by boring looks

This type of car is very colour sensitive as well
Old 10-05-2018, 12:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts

Recently I was after a handsome coupe, and got my backside into an A5 3.0 TDI Quattro. My priorities in no particular order, are mpg, comfort, motorway stuff, a few on board toys, good looking. The kids fit in the back. Massive boot. It fits the bill.
As a cruiser GT, it's very good. Thing is with the A5 it's a little bit stuck with THAT image. So very befitting that I now drive one lol... I gives no shits about that!
The V6 derv is ultra refined in comparison to the opposing m57 bmw wafting unit I tried, and wasn't that impressed with (E91 335d as a matter of fact). I know you were originally discounting diesel, but this is a good one. It does not sound like high compression clatter at all, and is super at wafting. It's weight is felt along B roads but its composed, feels safe on its 19" P Zeros. I've already got used to the main flaw, which is it's lack of steering feel.. which is over servo'd being speed sensitive electric. It's not a town car though. It's become less of an issue, as it's no sports car.
The Quattro system is effective at very quick getaways for a 1650kg fatty... my brother has already egged me on to remap but its not really the point with these cars. I'm impressed with the build quality and no squeaks or rattles on a 2010 year. I feel that it's a bargain car right now and good opposition to the 335d, which I originally wanted. They are alleged to be very reliable with fewer issues than the BMW. And if it matters, marginally quicker whilst less dynamic than the Beemer.

Nottm is right - m140 or m240 are probably the cream of the crop for today's newer used buys. I almost leased one but decided it's dead money. I'll lose less money on the big Audi.
I will probably get bored of it, but so far it's not a bad place to sit on the commute. Try one.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:05 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
Recently I was after a handsome coupe, and got my backside into an A5 3.0 TDI Quattro. My priorities in no particular order, are mpg, comfort, motorway stuff, a few on board toys, good looking. The kids fit in the back. Massive boot. It fits the bill.
As a cruiser GT, it's very good. Thing is with the A5 it's a little bit stuck with THAT image. So very befitting that I now drive one lol... I gives no shits about that!
The V6 derv is ultra refined in comparison to the opposing m57 bmw wafting unit I tried, and wasn't that impressed with (E91 335d as a matter of fact). I know you were originally discounting diesel, but this is a good one. It does not sound like high compression clatter at all, and is super at wafting. It's weight is felt along B roads but its composed, feels safe on its 19" P Zeros. I've already got used to the main flaw, which is it's lack of steering feel.. which is over servo'd being speed sensitive electric. It's not a town car though. It's become less of an issue, as it's no sports car.
The Quattro system is effective at very quick getaways for a 1650kg fatty... my brother has already egged me on to remap but its not really the point with these cars. I'm impressed with the build quality and no squeaks or rattles on a 2010 year. I feel that it's a bargain car right now and good opposition to the 335d, which I originally wanted. They are alleged to be very reliable with fewer issues than the BMW. And if it matters, marginally quicker whilst less dynamic than the Beemer.

Nottm is right - m140 or m240 are probably the cream of the crop for today's newer used buys. I almost leased one but decided it's dead money. I'll lose less money on the big Audi.
I will probably get bored of it, but so far it's not a bad place to sit on the commute. Try one.
I want something new which goes straight to a main dealer under warranty if it plays up

My (personally) fixing up cars days are behind me

Don't know what triggered it but I no longer have any interest in spannering

The inly exception to that might be a bit of tinkering with a classic but no more than that
Old 10-06-2018, 12:42 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
I've not driven a 3 pot in years but don't they just do exactly what Nick describes and make the car feel like it's got a dildo shoved up it's zorst?

Downsizing engines is for people who dgaf

​​​​​​My mum has an UP! Does it warrant the !? I don't think so, it appears to be shit and has really, really shit seats.
I own one...3 pot that is. MT09
Old 10-06-2018, 01:21 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by jml
I own one...3 pot that is. MT09
haha slightly OT.. NVH is much less of a factor on a crotch rocket, that MT09 is a beast
my XSR did a great job through it's first winter, lathered in ACF50 now ready for another salty slog.. 3k on the clocks. I am eyeing the new CRF450L but if that 25hp power figure turns out remotely accurate i think i'll plump for a 450RX as a second bike
either of these would be perfect for Gad's needs.. he loves bikes i think

Old 10-07-2018, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi
I want something new which goes straight to a main dealer under warranty if it plays up

My (personally) fixing up cars days are behind me

Don't know what triggered it but I no longer have any interest in spannering

The only exception to that might be a bit of tinkering with a classic but no more than that
Surprising it's taken you so long, TBH! I don't mind doing the more intellectually-stimulating* things (like re-aligning the pop-up bonnet sensors on the Leg End) but a combination of poor eyesight, total lack of patience and general apathy meant I'd stopped doing all but the most basic stuff some time back.

*I say intellectually-stimulating, but it's a bit of a fib; once I'd found out about the logistics, it mostly involved a block of wood, a lever and a big hammer. That bit was most enjoyable.

Quick Reply: Anyone bought or leased anything recently?