Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Anyone read Chris Harris' article in Evo?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Polemicist,Jul 22 2010, 08:56 AM
I've only ever encountered this attitude twice.

The first time was in 1987 and I was in my then two week old company car - a 320i convertible in white with black leather and BBS wheels. I was sat at traffic lights in Newcastle, roof down, listening to Radio 4 and minding my own business, when a fat split-arse shouted from the other side of the street "I didn't knaaa we had yuppies in the Toon!".

The second time was in 1993. My car at this time was an Audi convertible in Laser Red with Ecru leather upholstery and rather underwhelming wheels. I went to meet with a client and as I entered the meeting room, he was looking out at the car park, at which point he said to his p.a. 'Remind me to deduct 20% from the next invoice from Mark - he's clearly earning too much if he can afford to run a car like that.'.

The protagonists were poles apart - one an erudite MD, the other a loser - but the attitude was the same.

May be it's convertibles than bring out the 'best' in people...
No difference - a lot of UK mange-ment has the loser prick mentality that is so prevalent in the yUK. Usually made worse by an air of pomposity.

You've gotta feel sorry for these people; some poor average-wage slave schmuck with zero prospects no doubt drivimg some old Zafira/other PoS @ 50% apr with a real hideous fat moose of a missus because they cannot stop sprogs falling out and their lives are hell because they don't have the strength of attitude to discipline the little bastards and that's all it's likely ever to be...

Did I type "sorry"? I meant "schadenfreude".
Old 07-22-2010, 01:24 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Regardless of why people get wound up (particularly in the country it seems) the responses are unacceptable. I just think it says something about the mentality of a LOT of people in our country.

Bugger me I had kids / adults taking pics of my car on across Europe the other day. I'd sooner get called a w****r over here if I put the roof down.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MB,Jul 22 2010, 01:24 AM
Bugger me I had kids / adults taking pics of my car on across Europe the other day. I'd sooner get called a w****r over here if I put the roof down.
Did you mean to say that last bit?! I think people taking pics is kinda cool. I remember being sat in the passenger seat of my mates Sagaris while he popped into a shop and a young lad came up and snapped the car on his phone!
Old 07-22-2010, 01:41 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

it's not unique to this country

in most of France conspicuous weath (of which cars are but an illusion of course) is much frowned upon

that can and does sometimes translate into the kind of hositility you see here

as for the UK, I make no connection between the driver of the car and his/her real wealth

it could as easily be a mechanic testing it as the owner

of a £1000pcm leasing deal
Old 07-22-2010, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Jul 22 2010, 01:41 AM

as for the UK, I make no connection between the driver of the car and his/her real wealth

it could as easily be a mechanic testing it as the owner

of a £1000pcm leasing deal
Or a rental...

Or even a journo as per MB hence the thread..
Old 07-22-2010, 01:44 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JimUK,Jul 22 2010, 10:37 AM
Did you mean to say that last bit?! I think people taking pics is kinda cool. I remember being sat in the passenger seat of my mates Sagaris while he popped into a shop and a young lad came up and snapped the car on his phone!

No I meant that people over here would be quicker to abuse you than show some positive interest. The picture taking was most amusing I was in a convoy with a couple of Exiges and people were getting very excited. One woman driving a family in a people carrier was side by side with us at over 100 to get her kids a look
Old 07-22-2010, 01:50 AM

Another thing that I see a lot in Germany, Spain and Italy is a basic looking car on the outside - no spoilers, 16" alloys or even hub caps but with leather & climate control.

Once again the mentality in England / Britain is we go for sexy on the outside basic on the inside and that is materialism pure and simple. Look good to everyone else but worse for the driver, what's that all about
Old 07-22-2010, 02:08 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE=JimUK,Jul 22 2010, 09:44 AM] Or a rental...
Old 07-22-2010, 02:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The type of car and how it is driven makes a difference
I had this a few times in the S (but not as many times as Hypersonik or Moff )
First day I had the S some muppet in a Shogun actually tried to force me off the road
IN teh 8 years I had one I did get a few compliments but more often it was the pathetic attempts at one liner put downs
Interestingly in the 1.5 months I've had the Vantage I found the opposite.
Even had one Welsh farmer walking in to the road and urge me to give it beans past hime Also regularly get cars moving over to let me past!
For me anyone that feels that badly they need to verbally abuse some one because they have more money must have a pretty sad life.
On the other side of the coin a bit of consideration for people who are less fortunate goes along way!
I always drive me diesel Volvo to customer meetings (for the reasons stated above that I've also seen first hand ) and try to drive the AM considerately. It seems to work for me
It is weird how the UK is more insecure about owners of cars like this, my experience of France, Germany, Italy and even Switzerland is the opposite.
From the perspective of this thread I'm pleased I went the AM route and not the Lambo, Porsche or Fezza I considered and I appreciate the postive responses on here to the AM as well BTW
Old 07-22-2010, 02:56 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's something about AM that sits deep in the British psyche Mike.

I could easily imagine Lambo/Porshe owners et al getting similar derogatory comments, but people genuinely seem to admire the Astons.

Something about style, elegance and class whereas your Porsches are perceived in a vulgar flashy kind of way.

Maybe the perception is that Porshe drivers have something to say/prove whereas you know the guy in the Aston doesn't have nor need to prove anything.

Quick Reply: Anyone read Chris Harris' article in Evo?