Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Anyone read Chris Harris' article in Evo?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:00 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LTB,Jul 22 2010, 10:56 AM

Maybe the perception is that Porshe drivers have something to say/prove whereas you know the guy in the Aston doesn't have nor need to prove anything.
the key is not to get involved with any car from lower down the pecking order

everyone knows which cars are fastest - the stats are there for all to see in the back of most magazines
Old 07-22-2010, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its strange the most aggression I was in receipt of was with the S2000, which included several verbal incidents and one which involved a full beer bottle being thrown me from another vehicle when I had the roof down......luckily it hit the windscreen surround and not me.....

got mainly sarcastic comments when i had the SLK 350...

and now with the SLK 55 AMG I only get compliments - especially about the V8 noise .... :-)
Old 07-22-2010, 03:28 AM

[QUOTE=j8mie,Jul 22 2010, 09:10 AM] I have to agree with you (S2K4ME)

You see far too many people these days (especially young kids) driving round in brand new cars.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:40 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by (S2K4ME),Jul 22 2010, 09:50 AM
Another thing that I see a lot in Germany, Spain and Italy is a basic looking car on the outside - no spoilers, 16" alloys or even hub caps but with leather & climate control.

Once again the mentality in England / Britain is we go for sexy on the outside basic on the inside and that is materialism pure and simple. Look good to everyone else but worse for the driver, what's that all about
This is often true.

But the british were always a nation of braggards - back to the days of war paint & huge garish shields! The poverty-spec RHD Audi with metallic & huuuuuge wheels is an extension of the same thing.

No, it's got far call to do with house prices; it's a sort of Island mentality. I think the Romans were the first to note the binge-drinking yobbishness and nothing's changed since.

Mind you, the Germans do sell a (comparatively) lot of very expensive cars with 'all the boxes ticked' as they put it. and they like a beer. Maybe it's a Saxon trait!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Jul 22 2010, 12:00 PM
everyone knows which cars are fastest - the stats are there for all to see in the back of most magazines
Exactly - I have nothing to prove to four fat lads in a Colt!

I have never had any abuse (that I've heard) whilst driving the S. I've had mexican waves off the school bus queue in the morning, kids and adults shouting 'nice car' and even the offer of sex in exchange for the vehicle! LadyB has though, so much so that she quite rightly reported the driver to the Police.

Mr CJ doesn't get let out of junctions etc when he is driving, whereas I do. I think the thought process is 'cock in a sports car' when Mr CJ is behind the wheel and the envy kicks in whereas if I'm driving they probably think 'hairdresser in nice car'.

I always show my appreciation for a nice car. When I saw an Audi R8 for the first time on the A1, I moved over as quick as I could to let him pass and then looked over to admire the car, smiled at him and he returned with a big sh1t eating grin and sped off.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LTB,Jul 22 2010, 11:56 AM
There's something about AM that sits deep in the British psyche Mike.

I could easily imagine Lambo/Porshe owners et al getting similar derogatory comments, but people genuinely seem to admire the Astons.

Something about style, elegance and class whereas your Porsches are perceived in a vulgar flashy kind of way.

Maybe the perception is that Porshe drivers have something to say/prove whereas you know the guy in the Aston doesn't have nor need to prove anything.
Exactly - but totally irrational
The Porsches are better engineered and more capable, as are the Lamob's now
Objectively they deserve appreciation
However when emotion comes in to it us Brits turn in to green eyed monsters unlike the other Europeans
I see way too much if it around here with the footballers, cheshire set and "new" money
Having said that maybe some of it comes from those types ramming it down peoples throat and not apprecaiting the car and how fortunate they are
Old 07-22-2010, 03:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem,Jul 22 2010, 12:44 PM
Mr CJ doesn't get let out of junctions etc when he is driving, whereas I do. I think the thought process is 'cock in a sports car' when Mr CJ is behind the wheel and the envy kicks in whereas if I'm driving they probably think 'hairdresser in nice car'.

I always show my appreciation for a nice car. When I saw an Audi R8 for the first time on the A1, I moved over as quick as I could to let him pass and then looked over to admire the car, smiled at him and he returned with a big sh1t eating grin and sped off.
There you go
A perfect example of both sides of the coin.
The vast majority that have unjust prejudice and the c0cks that spoil sports cars for others.
Just a shame we are the worst at it in the EU
Old 07-22-2010, 04:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a dose of this just the other morning. it was a beautiful moring, so I had the roof down. I approached a junction in the middle of a line of trafic, and a guy in a newish Transit was giving way to us. When he saw me, he pulled out and I actually had to emergency stop to avoid hitting him, I didn't sound the horn or flash, I simply raised my hands as if to say "what was that all about?" He just looked round and called me a fecking w anchor.

Stupid is as stupid does
Old 07-22-2010, 05:07 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

the best retort to any commercial driver is:

who's driving the van/lorry/truck/cement mixer?
Old 07-22-2010, 05:13 AM

You weren't wearing your "Fecking W Anchor" T-shirt were you Paul?

There may be something in the "convertible" theory methinks.
Just before I sold the S I had some Ross Kemp looky-likey cretin in a Vauxhall trying to force me off the road on the M11. He was shouting out the window, pushing into a non-existent gap in front of the car and then slamming on the anchors. Then he'd pull out, drop behind and try to climb in the boot!

Since I went over to the Porkier side however (touches wood rapidly), I've had nothing but people getting out of the way or letting me out in traffic and life's been way less stressful ....

Quick Reply: Anyone read Chris Harris' article in Evo?