Default Arsie's new car

I haven't seen any pics / reviews yet, Rog
Old 10-24-2010, 02:50 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Patience

I am
(a) not a member
(b) very slow to learn.

Anyway I can say it is a BMW M3 convertible and I have no plans to modify it ... yet ...

To replace a supercharged S2000, it must inevitably be a change of direction. In my case, I still wanted a roof-down option - Norfolk's famous big skies!; still wanted a car with some poke, obviously; in my case there also had to be two extra seats in the back for the doggies. Our life has been enriched hugely since they came and I don't believe you should leave them at home alone. Dogs are sociable animals and do not like being left alone. I think you have to have huge powers of self delusion to convince yourself it is ok to do so. So this rules out dedicated 2-seater roadsters such as M roadster, Porsche roadster or Aston Martin V8 Vantage (although I love engines and the days of V8s, V10s, V12s etc are numbered in these green days ...)

My promise to my son to give him the deposit on his house purchase is about to be called and I am also in middle of building a new house myself, so spending a large wedge (£50k or more) would be hard to justify. Residuals are important too, because in a few years I may find the need for a change or that my priorities are different. And I have too little time atm so there has to be a nearby main dealer (rules out ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, Mclaren ... who don't yet do a topless anyway).

So slowly I found the BMW Approved User route was the way to go, specifically 3 series or M convertible with at least a year of the 3-year BMW warranty remaining. Diesel never! so it came down to the 335i or M3. Although I loved the straight 6 twin turbo of the former, I found the feel of it skittish and uneasy compared with the well planted feel of the M car. Run flat tyres at reputably £250 a corner? My salesman was on about tyre insurance and I'm thinking WTF's he on about, some scam, then I did some reading and asked some questions ... Turned down a very good 335i with 32,000 miles at £23k which sold the next day, as I wasn't ready yet.

So it was a case of which deal came up. No rush, the new build double garage will be full of building materials for a few months yet.

Unfortunately, Maranello (Ferrari and Maserati main dealer) had an M3 convertible in the best colour on the books and they were anxious to get rid, as it was cheap German tin and standing out like a sore thumb. Over the months they started at £43,950 then dropped to £38,950 and then the day came they posted it at £36,850 it had to be mine. Manual, EDC, in Interlagos Blue, 16,000 miles and 18 months. They are a Sytner Group dealer so I was able to view and take delivery in Chigwell, so no need to flog across London and back.

Miraculously, I was able to shuffle the heat pump, cylinders, solar kit and bathroom kit x 3 round in our current garage to make enough space

Early impressions?

I have to say it really isn't a mean beast at all. After the highly involved full-time attention demanded by the S, it is a really easy drive and, while it may have 'an edge', I haven't been there yet and so far it is just a good long-distance tool. Interestingly, the combination of 420BHP and 300lbft gives a car that is only really getting going at above legal limits and so I tend to still use it like the S - drop a cog or two then hit to overtake. It just eats road and overtakes very quickly.

Due to family commitments - I am home to a young South Korean maths prodigy this next two weeks - giving it some beans over my nearby test twisties will have to wait.

The sound of the V8 top down is sublime. Induction is a symphony. The exhaust feels a little tight (or am I imagining that )
Old 10-24-2010, 02:55 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Marvellous.

A friend of mine has just bought one (coupe) and I am most envious. It's one of the few cars that really turns my head (like 90 degrees!) when I see one.

What's the manual box like?

Does it feel very fast when you go for it?

Pics man!
Old 10-24-2010, 03:00 PM

A1) Box isn't as good as the S unfortunately.

A2) Like a rocket Mark, only grounded

A3) Pics? Non member

(though I do have hundreds of the house build )
Old 10-24-2010, 03:02 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd like to try the box, I had an E46 manual 328i and the gearbox was very vague and felt plasticy. I'd hope the E92 was a bit more advanced?

Pics - send me some
Old 10-24-2010, 03:14 PM

Oh yes it's a big improvement on the E46.
Although funnily enough that was one inspiration for this.

Pics - confession time.
I've only had it a week now and there ain't any yet

But I will as soon as I can
Old 10-25-2010, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think, based on your deliberations, the best choice you could have made (and a good price too, the perfect illustration of why it's often better not to jump in with both feet). And I completely agree about the dog thing too, I cringe when I hear of people leaving their dogs alone all day then wondering why they have chewed furninshings and an unhappy dog.

And for the record, I'd quite like to see the house build actually.....(and hear a bit more about what you're doing, in a Grand Designs for realists kind of way).
Old 10-25-2010, 01:43 AM
ge2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice choice of colour, you're in good company

Did you go for the manual over the flappy paddle gearbox for a particular reason or was it just a case of the car being right?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie,Oct 24 2010, 11:50 PM
Anyway I can say it is a BMW M3 convertible and I have no plans to modify it
Christ thats two in one day.
Im quoting that too.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie,Oct 24 2010, 11:50 PM
Due to family commitments - I am home to a young South Korean maths prodigy this next two weeks - giving it some beans
Do she share the bathroom?

Quick Reply: Arsie's new car