Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Audi A6 Avant or alternative?

Old 01-09-2012, 02:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi A6 Avant or alternative?

I'm looking to move on the Civic (type S) as wanting something with a little more room and practicality and 5 doors. My wife likes Audi, I like BMW. we had an A3 (2006) that died (2.0 TDI), so a little nervous about returning to Audi, but the A6 seems to offer excellent value. I am looking at 2008 with 50-80k (2.0tdi) for around the 10-12k mark. That seems like an awful lot of car for the money and is about the same as a similar spec A3.

I like the look and sure the build quality is right up there. The corresponding BMW would be an older 5 series (not a fan of the looks) or am E90 3 series (just). I'm not overly bothered about it being fast as running costs are a concern, but then I might move the S on also and get something a little more interesting, S6? again, whilst I admire the M5, just looks very dated to me know and the V10 Vanos issues are a worry.

Confused? me too.

back OT, any experience of an A6 Avant around that age / mileage. From reading, the issues of cracked heads was fixed after 2007 on the troublesome 2.0tdi and after experiencing it first hand, not something I want to get involved with again.

Thoughts welcome.

Cheers
Phil.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I think it's more and more the case that if are considering an expensive and sophisticated modern, you have to swallow the costs and go for a pukka manufacturer's extended warranty

There's no way I'd touch something like a £12K/08 Audi without one

Yes, you could get lucky, but chances are just as likely that without the warranty you'll be faced with the choice of a £4K repair/sell the car for half what you paid for it
Old 01-09-2012, 02:20 AM

fair point, would you consider a 2.0tdi A6 expensive sophisticated modern, or are you referring to the S6 / M5 option? just out of interest, as the engine in the entry ones are common as muck across the range, so relatively inexpensive when things go wrong and would use indy not main dealer if / when it did.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:37 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by phil121081
fair point, would you consider a 2.0tdi A6 expensive sophisticated modern, or are you referring to the S6 / M5 option? just out of interest, as the engine in the entry ones are common as muck across the range, so relatively inexpensive when things go wrong and would use indy not main dealer if / when it did.
I was referring more to the S6/M5 but I would still tread very carefully. I hear what you say about the engines being commonplace and using an indy so my question would be - how much will it cost you to source and fit a replacement engine? Your local indy should be able to provide that information.

We know it can't really be done with an S2000 for less than about £3K - and horror stories abound even then. I wouldn't mind betting the A6 alternative isn't going to be any cheaper, will have no more guarantees, and takes me back to swallowing the cost of a full manufacturer's extended warranty
Old 01-09-2012, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I'd get a TDV6 Discovery.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:38 AM

Personally, I'd get a TDV6 Discovery or RR.

My Dad has had a couple of 2.0 TDi A3's as daily hacks - he swears by them. I drove his current one last weekend and the gearbox (manual) after 30k miles is one of the worst I've ever felt. His previous DSG was far better.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:34 AM

cheers Keith, not really looking for a 4x4 to be honest and if so would favour the freelander 2 as the Disco and RR are huge!

choosing a car used to be so easy.... what is the fastest thing I can afford... done.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 AM

You don't say to what extent luggage space is an issue but if it is, I'd discount the 3 Series - it's better than than the piffling A4 Avant but not by much.

The A6 2.0 TDi is a decent, economical load-luger and a relaxed, comfortable, pleasant (if un-exiting drive). The VAG 2.0 TDi engine and versions of it has to be about the most common diesel engine around - you'll find in Golfs, Passats, Tourans and a variety of Seats and Audis - its a proven and reliable engine and not one you should be at all worried about owning. The rest of the A6 has been around long enough for common problems with the costly bits that Audi bolt around it to have shown themselves and few have.

Like Gadafi though, I wouldn't want to own a car that's costly to repair without the manufacturer's warrantee on it; but if you buy Audi approved used that's pretty cheap to extend when it expires.

Had one as a company car so can't really comment on ownership costs but it was certainly happy enough with it for a daily drive that could take the us, the kids, the dog and a load of kit when we needed - my alternative would be the 5 Series which is a cracker at 525 and above (if you like the looks).
Old 01-09-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by keith2.2
Personally, I'd get a TDV6 Discovery or RR.

My Dad has had a couple of 2.0 TDi A3's as daily hacks - he swears by them. I drove his current one last weekend and the gearbox (manual) after 30k miles is one of the worst I've ever felt. His previous DSG was far better.
+1 (actually +100) for DSG over Audi manual.

Especially after changing gear in an S!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The manual's ergonomics are diabolical.

The DSG's potentially unreliable.

It's all the Emperor's New Clothes; that's why so many here recommend the Legacy instead.

Quick Reply: Audi A6 Avant or alternative?