Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Black car

Old 11-24-2006, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black car

When I sell my S after 3 and a half years of wonderful ownership (still dont know if I am doing the right thing, but feel that I need to try another car as over a year is long ownership for me) my new car is going to be black. Now loads and loads of people have tried to put me off black because of how easy it gets dirty and marks, but I think that the way they can be made to shine with a little love and some good wax over-rides all those things....Getting to the point.....One concern is stone chips on the front. Has anyone had that plastic stuff put on, how do they find it, and how much was the cost. oh, and any other comments they have about it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:23 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine had it from new, from Honda. Dont know much details as I bought it 2nd hand.

I would go for Armourfend or similar.

Well worth it on black, more for the scratches on the sides. Im not sure I would have black again. Used to pain me to see new marks every week.

MB
Old 11-24-2006, 04:29 AM

I've had Venture Tape fitted on mine. It's the best investment i've made on a car!!

This is the thread i started.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=408305&hl=

If you need anymore info then PM me or something

Matt
Old 11-24-2006, 04:38 AM

Dave, not selling already are you?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Nov 24 2006, 01:38 PM
Dave, not selling already are you?
Yep, its been far too long for single car ownership for me. Although I do think I will be back. One of the hardest car decisions I have had to make, but I could not justify getting another S when there are so many other cars out there to try.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:03 AM

I almost sold mine this summer but trying an Elise 111R put me off, I just didn't like it enough to sell the S. Maybe next year...
Old 11-24-2006, 10:57 AM

Thats the main problem with this car, where to go next. Was offered a 911 at a fantastic price, but when it all boiled down I could not handle paying almost a grand a service.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:56 AM

The only issues I have found with protective film are as follows:

1. Even the professionally fitted PaintShield doesn't stand a chance after a few thousand motorway miles. Mine is showing the first signs of general wear and has a few bullet holes

2. Your car will just chip to buggery everywhere the film doesn't cover - this was more prevalent on the VX as it is a fibre glass body but stone chips will eventually form an outline around the main segments of film

I noticed on the thread quoted further up that the PaintShield chaps are offering full body protection so that should avoid the really annoying issue of chipping everywhere that isn't shielded

I have also found that the film behaves like paint in that you can polish, wax or TCut it with the same results

In the end I would say that depending on how much stone chips bug you it may be a tough choice between the film and a bit of a respray every couple of years...
Old 11-24-2006, 12:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you do go for a black car Dave, i know a good detailer to keep it in tip top condition.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:03 PM

Cheers for the offer Ade, although I get excellent rates at the bloke who does the paint jobs of some of reg vardys more exclusive cars, he has done a couple of jobs in the past for me and his work is excellent, and very reasonable (based in Sunderland).
I think I will have to look into the price of the plastic, and see if it looks worth while and weigh it up over a paint job now and again.
Its going to be black, wanted one for the last 3 cars, but got side tracked into bloody silver every time, at least this time it made me drive the fastest colour
On a side note, I will still be visiting this forum as it has been great over the years, ran fairly and visited by some cracking people. Had a look on the net for a forum for my new baby, but cant find anything that even comes close to this.

Quick Reply: Black car