Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

BMW Bastardise Another Marque

Old 10-11-2007, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Few photos!

My dad will be gutted as he has a TR4a and TR5, plus he has owned another TR4a, TR6, TR7, TR8 and a Triumph Vitesse.

A little info for you
In the first of two shock scoops about one car giant this week, Auto Express can exclusively uncover ex
Old 10-11-2007, 03:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If's but's and maybe's, I'm with Moggy on this one
Old 10-11-2007, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Total gash.

BMW = the rapists of old iconic British cars.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by j8mie,Oct 11 2007, 01:45 PM
BMW = the rapists of old iconic British cars.
Are some people stuck in the past?

Whats the problem? BMW did a great job with the Mini and it's one of the best selling cars in the market. It's also one of the best to drive, reliable and has great residuals. It's a fantastic car.

At least they are trying to keep British motoring brands 'alive'. Our motoring industry is dead at our feet, wrecked by our own people. It's a disgrace that we no longer have a volume car manufacturer.

I don't think this Triumph idea is the best looking car that I have ever seen, but it's a photoshop and even if they make it, I bet it will drive well.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by moff,Oct 11 2007, 02:38 PM
Are some people stuck in the past?

Whats the problem? BMW did a great job with the Mini and it's one of the best selling cars in the market. It's also one of the best to drive, reliable and has great residuals. It's a fantastic car.

At least they are trying to keep British motoring brands 'alive'. Our motoring industry is dead at our feet, wrecked by our own people. It's a disgrace that we no longer have a volume car manufacturer.

I don't think this Triumph idea is the best looking car that I have ever seen, but it's a photoshop and even if they make it, I bet it will drive well.
The MINI is awful as a design, and merely adequate as a (large) hatchback. Average to drive, poor engine, woeful interior space and carrying capacity. Saved only by it's appeal to people who are taken in by clever marketing.

Twee, unimaginative and a pastiche of what came before instead of being something new and interesting.

A lazy design by and for people with no imagination.

Same with the New Beetle and the new Fiat 500. Soulless copies with no originality or flair.

The reason cars like these became icons in the 1960s is because they were original - they brought something new and exciting to the car industry and didn't just ape the iconic cars of 30 years before hand.

BMW have brought nothing new and original to the industry in years. Unless you count I-Drive, about which I have yet to hear one good thing.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:25 AM

I Drive is shite... got it in our Beemer.

100% disagree with the Mini. Best small car to be produced in the last 10 years.

The X5 was pretty revolutionary when it came on the market, and I am yet to see another manufacturer that can produce engines as good as BMW.

They have just won 2007 Engine of the Year with the new twin turbo 3 litre (335i) engine.

Their 3 litre diesel engine is by far the best in class with 286bhp.

343bhp from a 3.2 flat 6 is pretty impressive too, and that's an old engine now.

BMW, VAG and MB do more for the car industry than any other manufacturer in my opinion.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:40 AM

Trouble is that the mini has lost it's ethos since BMW re-designed it.

It used to be a fun, cheap car. It may still be relative fun but there's nothing cheap about a mini!

A friend just paid
Old 10-11-2007, 07:43 AM
pip

The BMW Mini is not a Mini though is it? It's just another hatchback, but with "Mini" written on it. The only thing similar to the old one are the dials.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Mark can speak for himself, but I assume he is talking about exterior design, rather than engineering

In which case, I agree

Have you seen the Mini Clubman - truly awful

I thought the back end of the earlier incarnations was bad - but this surpasses it

As for the convertible - yuck
Old 10-11-2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Oct 11 2007, 03:44 PM
Mark can speak for himself, but I assume he is talking about exterior design, rather than engineering
Design and packaging, yes.

And in the case of the first incarnation of the MINI, the rough engine too. I have no idea about their newer one however.

And what was revolutionary about the X5 - a bling 4x4 more suited to the road - a Suzuki Vitara for the buyer who absolutely has to keep up with the Joneses.

Quick Reply: BMW Bastardise Another Marque