Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

a car for 2012

Old 07-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ianl
I'm sure a main dealer is more likely to supply a good, properly looked after car Pete, but it is by no means a 'given'.

I looked at a low mileage, 6 month old, ex-demonstrator M3 at Vines in Crawley a few years back. Upon inspecting the service history I noticed that the early inspection service had been carried out about 700 miles after the recommended mileage.

When I queried this with the salesman, he assured me this would absolutely not in any way, shape, or form impact the warranty.

Being a mistrusting, suspicious sort, I contacted BMW warranties. They assured me that this aberration (made by a BMW main agent, on a car they owned) would only impact the warranty on drive-train related claims!!!!!!
True enough and the late/missed early inspection service was a cock up made by many main dealers (and owners)

But if you will go anywhere near Crawley...
Old 07-15-2012, 12:34 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I saw that with a car Sytner were advertising. It was ropey cosmetically so i never drove it but i noticed they did all 4 discs, that alone is not a cheap thing on these cars.

The one i bought has had, they claim!, an expensive service including plugs and according to idrive is good till 2014 now. I may change the oil meantime

The warranty has to be factored in, £1ks worth i believe
Old 07-15-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
But if you will go anywhere near Crawley...
You make a fair point.....

Haven't done it since!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Tried the DCT on 335i which i know is a different box but i did love it. But ultimately it wasnt a must have for me. I reckon 4-5k/yr so mpg really matter. And your droptop was carrying some lard so that would contribute.

Question is, if i did keep it for 10yrs would it be trouble free? Its much more complex than a robust old stick shift (to a ludite like me) and i do sometimes keep my cars (S2 10 years at xmas). I think it could go that way, all depends on "life decisions", do i keep working away and chasing the yankee dollar or try to find work in sunny notts? Depends how dorris settles back in after mat leave and what we do with sproggo, currently using a p/t nanny so thats a drain.

I rarely use sat nav, another £5k would be £5k + 25% and i figured lets stick for now.. Maybe one to regret? . I've done this so its cool if its 12 months and out. I didnt see dcts commanding a huge premium, certainly stratstone had a car that would have fit if i'd moved faster.. Chavvy white though so you wouldnt approve.

If you're over this way drop by. I heard the later gearbox is a revelation, just software though. So maybe i'll upgrade to a MY11 one day. I geuinely believe these are amongst the last cars of their type in this price range. 4l v8s are a dying breed. It'll be 3l turbos like that 335 from here in, then 2.5 etc.

Maybe its me not wanting the change...

Whatever i cant lose, it sounds brilliant and i loved the seats

Cheers for all the assistance, i'll post thoughts in a few months.
Well thought out purchase, this. I couldn't agree more about the engine too - the likes of this won't be coming our way again and certainly not in a package like this. I honestly don't see how they can make a big step with the forthcoming new M3. Ok it will have a lighter engine with a coil and a turbo per plug and oodles more FREDs (as if there aren't plenty already).

Maybe I exaggerated to say £5k premium, that would be tops and with lots of options. Sounds like you have dug out a really good value with not too many frills and are in it for the long haul but ready to upgrade if. That's part of the strategy of a well valued low-mileage 'with warranty' second-user buy. The prices I am seeing for warranty don't distinguish between manual and DCT it's all just drive-train, so while I agree DCT has got to have more moving parts they don't price that in the warranty.

That said, DCT is all the more reason to keep the warranty going. I am about to bite that bullet. I have a similar contingency plan, trade up to the last E92 model year in a few years time. We did a similar thing with the dorris/dog wagon Subaru and got the last of the non-FREDs. Trouble is they can't connect an MP3 player to the hifi

When I go fetch my made-to-measure granite hearth tiles I will stop by. I can offer to help you fit the essential value-for-money black-effect replacement grill ... then step back and watch you bark every knuckle on both hands and then some

Forest a cert for the PL now they've got arab money. You and CC can have a 'bum boys of the harem' love-in
Old 07-16-2012, 10:19 AM

I hope it goes well Rog, looking forward to friday when i pick her up. Hope the tiles are the right size
like the black grilles, already been prowling ebay . I think black the wheels too and i'll look like a dealer. Nina will hate it though.

got someone interested in the bike which surprises me given the weather..
Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 PM

Its actually sparkling graphite. Get my facts straight!

Like this

Rare colour
Old 07-20-2012, 03:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. You got it yet? I think one of these will be my next car.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:22 AM

Its actually sparkling graphite. Get my facts straight!

Like this

Rare colour
Looks the real dealer

Obvs you need to paint the calipers - that picks out the M3 colour, sweet. And I agree do the wheels (swapping to BMW graphite OEMs will cost a bomb but if you get good money for the bike ...) Those in the pic look like darkened front windows over the standard spec clears? So yep a dealer The rears come that way anyway.

edit: that UK postcode thing is bugging me. They implemented a half cock solution with mine, you can put in the first half but then it goes to choosing a street name. FFS that's the whole point Stealer wants £300+VAT to change my hard disk to full 7 digit UK postcode (I think he was being deliberately ambiguous) of which £150 the hard disk, £100 the labour, £50 for the upgrade key from Germany. WALOB. So I am prowling the forums.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:52 AM

Got it today. Raced to the station this side, race between trains at direby. They picked me up at station, prep was very good.

I was taking it easy away from stoke, wet and shitty (bst). Slowly started to get used to it. The gearbox is rubbish for a spoilt S owner, as you say Rog.

As I sailed past derby I hear a banging noise. Very loud and repeating, the under tray is loose near the bumper so will need to go back and visit which is f'ing annoying. Took the shine off my day. They said I could take it locally.

I diverted through long Eaton as I was on an a road with no parking points, that was a ball ache all these folk not working!

The steering is nice, engine pulls like a train and over 100 metres per year it really pulls incredibly well. Its thirsty. The sat nav is shit.

It needs a proper clean and polish. Doesn't have rear tinted windows (these are an option). Does have old man seatbelt assist and Bluetooth thingy.

I need to get used to it, enjoying so far but need that tray sorting (ffs)
Old 07-20-2012, 09:45 AM

Its thirsty. The sat nav is shit.

Does have old man seatbelt assist.
Never mind being ageist young man, you wanna strangle yerself?!

I need to get used to it, enjoying so far but need that tray sorting (ffs)
Try get your local dealer to help. Drop in and introduce yourself, buy those black grills - but get them to fit them ...

Enjoy the surge

Quick Reply: a car for 2012