Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Cayman 718 GT4

Old 07-14-2019, 12:12 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts
Default Cayman 718 GT4

read about this just now in Sept Evo (i know, i exist in the future, wish i could get Septembers Investors Chronicle)

gone back to NA
400+ hp
>1400kg isnt great mind

then the price.. £75k optionless. ouch

the cynic in me says this is a throwback, out of date before its launched, ridiculous. but i like it which probably says something about me.

how did caymans and coxsters arrive at £80k+?
Old 07-14-2019, 03:14 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Finance. Because no one buys a car any more so the 'price' has inflated massively.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:16 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
read about this just now in Sept Evo (i know, i exist in the future, wish i could get Septembers Investors Chronicle)

gone back to NA
400+ hp
>1400kg isnt great mind

then the price.. £75k optionless. ouch

the cynic in me says this is a throwback, out of date before its launched, ridiculous. but i like it which probably says something about me.

how did caymans and coxsters arrive at £80k+?
Or how did so many cars acquire mad list prices?

Answer: Because leasing
Old 07-14-2019, 07:45 AM

its incredible to me.. who rents a middling electric SUVish Jag for £700 ish a month?

thats minimum wage, you could have a servant for that money for 40hrs a week. get a rickshaw
Old 07-14-2019, 07:56 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Based on who / what i see driving around, plenty of people are doing this because there's no way the folk i see driving those cars had 60K + to blow on this stuff.

Anything more than £300 of your own money on a car each month is bloody madness.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

It's extremely common now

The car is treated like a mobile phone - 'upgrade' your contract every couple of years

All that matters is that you can afford the monthlies

I can't see things changing - most young people I know haven't got a clue how to fix things and have no interest in learning

Only time it bothers me is when people spunking hundreds a month on a car moan about affording a property
Old 07-14-2019, 11:07 AM

i think they basically give up on real estate and i can see why that has happened
take this for example https://www.keepmoat.com/chase-farm-gedling/the-saxon

that's near where my first flat was.. you'd need to be earning £70k as a 20 something grad with a few years experience for it to be as affordable as my place was back in '98. it's hardly aspirational either whereas that salary is from talking to grads where i currently busy myself

but i get the other side of it, a lad at work rents a house for £600 per month and a car for £400 per month. it's a 1 series BM ffs, basically a proper wheel drive focus with a chunky steering wheel. that's more than my first mortgage was... so yes, financial ineptitude plays a role

his commute is what i used to do on a bike.. when hybrids where something quite cheap .. maybe 9 miles each way. i had a shagged old Vauxhall at the time but i paid for the ****er in 3 months with a small loan from the bank of mum and dad iirc

talking of which Renno are launching a £40k hot hatch.. haha.. made me chuckle. Renno. with folding doors no doubt.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:57 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Don't forget the help-to-buy boondoggle - it basically means that a £500K new-build can be bought for £300K. Bit like car leasing.

It's killed the 2nd hand property market dead, as no-one can trade up. Bit of a pisser.

Though I do accept that many are now stuck on min wage for the foreseeable. There is a rent boondoggle, thankfully - and a lot of developers are looking at build-to-rent for the future. Wonder why...

I've had my Leg End about six years, so it's cost me about £150 per month to 'lease' so far and that gets less each month I keep it. I could get an Audi A6 Tedious V6 Quattro for £400ish, but only for a few years. Why would I? It'd suit some businessmen who 'need' a car like that, but I don't.

But I can see the appeal of renting an A or a B segment transport module for £150, if you have no real interest in cars but require reliable transport.

PS - for us Jonesers, it's probably easier mentally to halve prices, better to remove the fiat-factor from modern currency media. Unfortunately, that does put a lot of people on around £6K pa in 'real' terms.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:25 AM

its all sticking plaster shit... demand outstrips supply so prices ramp up while wages stagflate for a decade

there seems an obvious solution to me? build.

the high street has shrunk, redev that..

in Nottm the local loony left put meters everywhere charging £2/hr to park and then cry when shops close and the retail centre shrinks at an alarming rate. who saw that coming

apart from everyone?

meanwhile tesla will flog you an SUV that will outdrag that porsche and seat 7, never needing an oil change.. hmmm
Old 07-19-2019, 04:57 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Except the 'elites' (that'd be as in Vauxhall...) all have property investments so are only interested in forcing up property prices, hence the ridiculous planning constraints and uncontrolled immigration for decades.

Quick Reply: Cayman 718 GT4