Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Confessions of a car salesman

Old 10-11-2022, 01:43 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I used to work in tech for a large data company who did automotive data
they sold to big dealer groups, car data checks etc
anyway, we went to a ford dealer once. Everyone of their customers hocked up their bollox, they had a league table in their 'staff' room of gap etc.
Old colleague has gone for it all hook, line and sinker. Rents a house, rents a car, not a penny in the bank and in his 40s. He is financially ****ed, never recovering from that.

Rocketing about in a TTRS currently but probably in negative equity on it.

​​​​​​It's a dirty business and of no interest to me to partake, I bought the e outright and it has cost me feck all in 2 years bar depreciation and fuel. Not even a tyre.
​​​​​It is probably worth close to what I paid.

To rent one would have been £10k in that time and to rent one now?

400pcm, £3.5k down for 2 years. £13k

Yeah there is an opportunity cost for that money but Truss just crashed the country so another net saving then?

The reverse Robin Hood

Old 10-17-2022, 12:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts

Yep.. Daft bitch is toast 100%.
Now we will have Sunak to get to grips with, in 2-4 weeks once Mavis has packed her bags. We hope?!
I remember one other story at the car dealership...
Youngish fella turns up in a tidy, dog dick red H reg Cavalier GSI2000 - it was around 13 years old at the time, as this was the year 2003. He was all over the idiot Sales manager's demo silver Vectra V6 2.6 GSI (for a voxall, it was actually a decent saloon with a superb engine, but flawed traction control system that interrupted progress, overall frustrating). However...
"how much will you part ex for my Cav...?"
Sales manager : "how much tax is left on your car, and how much petrol is in it...?"...
Pushing and shoving commenced. No punches, but a lesson for the manager. I knew he was joking, but, the guy took it personally. He left, but came back a few weeks later and bought the other Vectra we had, an older white Vectra T reg 2.5 V6 GSI. The Veccy was tuned specially at the factory when new for an elite customer and was about 230bhp - didn't half go like the clappers and the sales boys often argued about taking it home as their demo. Still a handful of GSI's hanging about in sunny Wigan... (I know really they are / we're crap!)
The Vx220 we had sat in the dealership was the best thing we sold, but I reckon we sold about 5 units in the 18 months I was employed there.
One thing I will say - I enjoyed abusing my petrol card
The following users liked this post:
arsie (10-17-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 09:15 AM

It was made at Hethel as i'm sure you're aware
vauxhall engines were ok back in the day so it was decent if ugly
I pondered one a few times. But it was about as vauxhall as an Elise tbh
I've had a few VX and never liked them really
Old 10-20-2022, 01:54 PM

Yeah I agree..
The Astra Gsi was quite a decent & handsome-ish, well put together thing for 2002/2003 Voxall.. Heavy doors that closed with a clunk, it felt pretty solid., a bit laggy but had a turn of speed. I sold a few of those, in Arden Blue. It was definitely my favourite of the whole range, the rest, except the VX220, were less desirable.
I suppose the 7 seat concept of the Zafira was a cleverly executed, cheap kiddie carrier. I got sick of demonstrating the seats popping up out the boot floor!
Trouble with that VX220, once you got in, you had to crawl out because of its fat sills. You'd look a fool at the petrol station.
I've just remembered ANOTHER story..... one of the salesmen pinched one of my customers, whilst I was on my only day off that week. On return and after finding out, I went out to his demo car (unknowingly to him), and tipped in the interior air vents, the contents of my hole punch. Fan speed positioned on maximum...
Like wedding confetti when he jumped in and turned the key..
Priceless to watch :-D
The following users liked this post:
chrispayze (10-21-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 11:47 PM

When I was pondering a new e I had the displeasure of some weapon trying to chat to my lad, who was about 8 or 9 at the time
he was this fat, pasty spakker.

Asked my lad what his fave lesson was
"Maths"

Oh mine was PE
Boy just looked at him, guy spilling over his trousers.. and smirked
Old 10-21-2022, 09:12 AM

Haha.. Sounds about right :-)
Our Finance guy was a fat porker.. Honestly could have doubled for Robbie Coltrane. Had no interest in anything else but pulling people's kecks down on lending rates, and shoving hiis finger up his ar&e whilst he was at it..
Those were the bad old days...
Finance and Gap selling has thankfully changed now, properly regulated as it was all to easy in 2003 to earn 50k plus, selling crap cars