Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Did the Nurburgring GP track!

Old 07-31-2009, 11:43 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Did the Nurburgring GP track!

Morning all

I had an amazing few days of visiting Spa, then we went off to the Nordshlief... Steve (M1jbr) came along and met us too!

Alas, a car blew up in front of me on the Wednesday and shut the track However, we managed to get onto the GP track!

Now i'd seen one lap of this track on the TV, and that's it. I think my mate Jonny was the same - so we had no real idea of what to expect.

So we got tickets from an office by the track (30e for 20 mins) and queued up in some sort of free for all queue. Luckily we made it into the last session of the day!

Now this was unlike any trackday we had been on. No briefing, no rules, no helmets needed, nothing!

So we piled out of the pit lane, into complete mayhem! People were overtaking anywhere - so we just had to follw for a lap or two.

After lap 2, I think all that passed me was an F430. I sythed my way through the field, and had a brilliant time! The Exige was just so good. Remember we hadn't been on here before, and these were all regular locals Lines were bad initailly.

You can see how the tight turn in just punishes everything

Note the wave to the guy in the Corrado, he was a local chap who had been giving us some needle before the start

Anyway, Jonny and I were completely buzzing afterwards as it was pretty much real racing

Remember to click HD button

Nurburgring GP Part 1

Nurburgring GP Part 2

(Nordshlief footage to follow)
Old 08-01-2009, 12:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That nicely demonstrates why open pit lane trackdays are so much better than sessioned one. You wasted half that session just getting past slow people.

I wonder why they had you doing the short version. I did that two years ago (in the snow!), and that was the full GP circuit. But then they also had a briefing.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arguably more dangerous too!

I think we'll plan something similar to what you did MB for next year in the racecar
Old 08-01-2009, 01:17 AM

Thats madness.. I'm amazed there wasn't an accident, people overtaking both sides, in corners, free for all as you say.

Did you sign any kind of indemnity that specifically stated it would be a no-rules event?
Old 08-01-2009, 01:42 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah, how come it was only the short version?, strange.

It looks dangerous when it's in that format! I think part of the enjoyment would have been lost for me because I'd of been constantly checking my mirrors.

It looked great though! glad you enjoyed the trip. Thats two circuits I must do soon, Spa and Nur F1.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:07 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on the luck when you arrive too. A couple of the guys did this on the way back from Euromeet and virtually had the track to themselves as nobody else was there for their session.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:13 AM

That looked like fun!

It seemed quite restrained until the Ferrari passed you. Then you upped your speed to match his for a few corners. Shame the Orange Audi got in the way or I think you could have stayed with the Ferrari for a few more corners.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:16 AM

Loved the graphics on Pt 1

They looked like a herd of hippos dolloping round

You seemed to settle down once the 430 had cleared the way for you

Good stuff!
Old 08-01-2009, 05:34 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Didn't have to sign anything! It was all most odd.

Didn't know it was the short circuit either!

Fistral / Blurter, the Ferarri was being driven by a woman too! I had a chat with her afterwards and she was really enjoying herself

Still chuffed we managed 2 F1 tracks in the sapce of a few days!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:32 AM

I did this track 2 years ago, great fun and there were no rules as you say, no helmet needed etc . This is the first time I realised just how fast GT3's were

Quick Reply: Did the Nurburgring GP track!