Nick Graves
21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Diesel propaganda

Old 04-14-2017, 01:37 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Diesel propaganda

I struggled with the thread title - it could have been 'inside the mind of a woman' and gone in off topic

But it belongs here because a little research has shown it goes beyond the mind of one woman

The history is this:

Gad buys a 118D (I know)
Nice little thing, M sport, full leather, leccy roof, heated seats, blah, blah
Gad does what he does which is fix it up proper like so I acquire a spare set of alloys with winter tyres, refurb the original alloys and stick new tyres on all round, get it aligned, replace the discs and pads, change all the fluids and filters, change the glow plugs, stick a new battery in it, fix EVERY niggle like a window not winding properly or a scuffed switch, fix a shitty oil leak and fit a new windscreen
It is now as good as an eight year old 118D gets unless you want to count two dings and a few stone chips

Being the generous bloke I am I offer it my other half as a gift to replace her shitty Vauxhall and...

"But it's a diesel and aren't there going to be lots of problems with diesels?"

(That's femcode for no thanks)

WTAF!!!!!!!

When? Next Tuesday? 2019? Post Brexit? When Sadiq Khan decares London an Islamic State suburb?

We never drive in cities so mooted 'diesel congestion charges' are an irrelevance

So I ask around and it seems this view is quite widely held - diesels now bad, diesel owners to acquire pedo status idc, everyone to get cancer in five years because diesel, Facebook say...

How has this happened so quickly?

Do I need to sell the car or get a new gf and give her the car?

Tough questions

It's Easter, vote, have fun or nail yourself to a cross
Old 04-14-2017, 05:30 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Its exactly that isnt it? Propoganda designed to confuse the uninterested.

nina ran diseasels for years. We all know they stink (as bad a decat S2) and cost and frustrate as a driving experience but her latter golf got 600+ on a normal sized tank, albeit VW lied a lot...

if you do miles, get one free or dgaf about revs why not?
Old 04-14-2017, 07:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love my 435d very very quick comfortable and economy.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm waiting for some lawyer to take a class action against the UK government for conning us all into buying them in the first place. I'll happily join that bandwagon.
I say keep it. It will be at least a decade before enough people have switched to alternate fuels that it gets too costly or a pain in the ass to drive them. By that time they'll be worth more for the scrap metal. And you'll be able to claim your compensation for being mislead.....
Old 04-14-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

It hasn't come to light that quickly, i did my apprenticeship in the motor trade in the 70's and it was drummed in to us back to be super careful around diesel vehicles and wear glove etc and try never to get engine oil on your skin or breathe in the fumes because of the cancer connections

Last edited by Daytona-Dave; 04-14-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think about it. We have had the past 10 years of governments and car manufacturers pushing diesels on us as the best thing since bacon. So nowthe market is absolutely flooded with diesels they sting everyone with a tax hike. Its absolutely ingenious really.
Remember when nobody had a diesel and diesel was half the price of petrol? What happened when everyone started buying diesels? Diesel then became more than petrol.

When was the last time you saw a petrol merc, audi, vw, bmw etc? Even the majority of the crapper cars like astras and focus's are diesel these days

Us peasants get screwed over with advertising and campaigns and hardly anybody actually realises whats going on.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For years "they" taxed people into diesels.
Now "they" are taxing them out of diesels.
It's almost as if the (environmental) benefit was in moving people from one to the other, constantly buying new cars rather than using one for a long time and essentially offsetting the environmental cost of production through its lifetime.

Anyway, never bought a diesel, and can't see myself buying one any time soon.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did my mechanic training with a big Japanese manufacturer in the early 90s and realised then diesel was bad news.

Smelly, noisy, dirty, under powered and worst of all cancer causing... but you can get lots of mpg. Idiots!
Old 04-14-2017, 02:30 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

I agree what ade73 says ^^^^^ though I was not trained as a mech.

The motorhome is my first/last diesel. Won't do many miles. No real choice. Made in Germany

It stinks awful and that has never been a good sign. Human senses are not so very wrong in preserving life.

But WGAF
Old 04-14-2017, 10:46 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I have decided to sell it, buy a petrol that she likes (I think that will only kill whales not dolphins) and put the money towards something irresponsible (that will kill everything just not by cancer)

The reality is that I can't be arsed to do anything in the short term

Quick Reply: Diesel propaganda