Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Do you speed in 30 zones?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-02-2009, 01:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If i lived in the land of postman pat i would make my own judgements about the safe speed for the road and drive accordingly.

I live in a small market town 16 miles from Leicester. My commute to work takes in a mixture of fast A roads, rural country roads that pass through small villages, duel carriageway and then urban back streets.

Of course i slavishly adhere to the posted speed limits in the real world, but in postman pat world i would drive according to the road conditions. I wouldn't speed near schools, i wouldn't speed through small country villages. I might well speed in urban areas with clear sighted roads that are only 30 mph because they are in town.

On Postman pat country roads i would again base my speed on the conditions. I would definitely speed on the fast, flowing, well sighted roads and most certainly on duel carriageways. I would not speed on twisty country roads that i knew to possibly have horses around the corner or a farm entry.

But then in Postman Pat world i'd be a habitual speeder, choosing to obey my own judgement rather than the posted limits unless i knew there to be a PC Plod trap around the corner.

To compound my fantasy law breaking in postman pat world, i'd even deliberately choose to drive through a red light on a regular basis. On part of my route to work there is a narrow bridge with room for only one car. This road used to be and still is rarely used but there is a proposed housing estate nearby that will increase the traffic so the local council decided to install traffic lights to control flow over the bridge. In postman pat world, to avoid sitting at a red light despite being able to see that there is no traffic on the road ahead, i would ignore that red light and drive straight through.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:18 AM

Received 627 Likes on 547 Posts

some very balanced views from everyone here.. good.

lower, your post is

i take the point about anti social and agree totally. i live on a 30mph A road. people do 50 plus at all times of the day. some bikes probably hit 100 but they're your proper organ doner types. (there are shedloads of side roads)
Old 09-02-2009, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I do speed in 30mph limits. No doubt that will be an unpopulaur thing to say, but that's not to say I always speed in a 30 limit. If I have The Doris on board I'm a lot better behaved, as I am when I'm driving in housing estates or an area with poor visibility and/lots of traffic.

In other words, I judge the roads in front of me and drive accordingly which is something we should all be doing

No doubt we are all guilty of being Nimby about this topic. So I guess if you are happy for people to speed in a 30, then you can't complain if someone speeds past your front door
Old 09-02-2009, 01:34 AM

I keep telling myself that it takes more strength of character to stick to the speed limit than to exceed it

I would add that I was less restrained when I was younger.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I can't think of an inappropriate 30mph limit on any road near me

As a result, I observe those limits pretty religously

I get far more annoyed with people going fast in areas where speed is completely ridiculous (built up areas, supermarket car parks, where there is NOTHING to be gained, etc)

Than I do on say, motorways

Old 09-02-2009, 01:46 AM

Depends ..

Some 30's are wide straight roads, with open areas each side and very good visability. I might stray above the limit.

Some 30's are dark twisty single track lanes where doing 30 would be a liability.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:56 AM

Received 627 Likes on 547 Posts

for me, as several of you have alluded to here, it's about a combination of visibility, pedestrian presence, road condition, weather, traffic, presence of cameras or plod etc

'my' road is very straight with generally pretty good visibility. i speed on it, in my postman pat dreams. others speed much more in real life. it's a 60mph at the far end

Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lower,Sep 2 2009, 09:08 AM
duel carriageway
I know the roads are busy and full of idiots, but pistols at dawn, that's a bit much if you ask me.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:12 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2,Sep 2 2009, 09:56 AM

'my' road is very straight with generally pretty good visibility. i speed on it, in my postman pat dreams. others speed much more in real life. it's a 60mph at the far end
I really can't think of a road like that near me

Long straights - yes - but numerous hidden entrances/exits and lots of parked cars

Quick Reply: Do you speed in 30 zones?