Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Driver Awareness Course

Old 09-05-2008, 09:41 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Speed cameras are not really about revenue per se, they are about Labour providing more jobs.

AFAIK, the camera partnerships rarely make a profit, most of the fines are swallowed up in operating costs i.e. increasing the size of the civil service and adding to Labours supporters. These courses are an extension of that, providing daily employment for the "instructors" and "lecturers", as well as keeping administrative staff busy sending out letters, hiring premises, making the tea and so on.

If it wer really about money, it would be a lot more efficient, but then these are public organisations so efficiency is non-existent.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Sep 3 2008, 07:56 AM
I am unimpressed by tales of 'clearing up dead bodies'

Seen some, cleared some up, buried some and kissed some
Really?

More than one?

Old 09-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by wingnutLP,Sep 5 2008, 08:01 PM
Really?

More than one?

unfortunately yes

not something I'm proud of

mentioned in the context of arsehole would-be lecturers assuming I am unaquainted with dead bodies, etc

I could be a firefighter, paramedic, doctor, soldier or undertaker for all they know
Old 09-05-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Sep 5 2008, 09:21 AM
1. Which are the misguided sentiments, and why?

2. What's the variation then?

3. Good

4. Speed is a 'multiplier' - don't think too many people will disagree with that. I'm happy to agree that speed is a cause in many accidents too, but that's getting o/t

5. Bad assumption - apart from the investigation bit, although I have worked with investigators and transport planners (central and local government)

1) I think most of the points have already been discussed. However in relation to the "How to patronise" and "How to display envy training" the general rule of thumb which I adhered to was do not treat the general motoring public as idiots or criminals because they are not. Policing is done with the consent of the public and why alienate people who are for the most part law abiding and decent ?.

2) The price of courses varies nationally. The cheapest course I have heard of was
Old 09-09-2008, 02:23 PM

I did my course today.

3 hours spent in a classroom with an advanced driving instructor (DriveTech) and 17 other attendees.

I personally didn't gain a great deal from it, but it wasn't in the least bit patronising, and a few of the other attendees did learn something.

It's quite shocking how many people don't know their national speed limits. I think there were 6 people who thought the NSL on a single-carriageway country road was 40, and a couple who thought it was 50.

Other than that, they covered stopping distances, showed the difference between relatively small increases over 30, showed some stills (no carnage) of a fatality that occurred at 38mph, and were generally very cheerful and upbeat (not about the fatality).

At no point did I feel I was being lectured.

There was the opportunity of some interaction, but only a little. The 3 hours passed very quickly, and we probably would have got a little more out of it with an extra half an hour or so.

Just before we left we were given a map with all fixed and mobile camera locations in the area, and were reminded to check the website that would actually tell us where the mobile cameras were going to be operating in the upcoming week.

Well worth the extra
Old 09-09-2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by WRumbled,Sep 9 2008, 10:23 PM
I think there were 6 people who thought the NSL on a single-carriageway country road was 40, and a couple who thought it was 50.
These same people are almost bound to be the ones who don't know that a 30 limit is a 30 limit.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by WRumbled,Sep 9 2008, 10:23 PM

I personally didn't gain a great deal from it
so what was the point in you attending?

Old 09-09-2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Sep 9 2008, 10:31 PM

Either that or points on his license.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,Sep 9 2008, 11:28 PM
These same people are almost bound to be the ones who don't know that a 30 limit is a 30 limit.
I'm pretty sure they all know now. Everyone there was caught in a 30 zone.

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Sep 9 2008, 11:31 PM

I kept a clean license and don't have the hassle / expense of telling my insurance company about it.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WRumbled,Sep 9 2008, 02:39 PM
I kept a clean license and don't have the hassle / expense of telling my insurance company about it.

If I get the choice then I am leaning towards this option. It seems the easiest and wisest in the long term because as you mentioned you don't have to go through the hassle of informing your insurer, sending in your licence etc. and you just don't know what affect it will have with your insurance at renewal.

The rather bizarre thing about being caught is that I am now more cautious with my speed on the motorways and dual-carriageways because I am now slightly paranoid about getting zapped again. Before all this I wouldn't of thought twice about my speed except in the areas I know the coppers fish.

Quick Reply: Driver Awareness Course