Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

F***ing Inchcape

Old 03-29-2007, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F***ing Inchcape

Hi all

Well, finally the day came to collect my shiny new SLK 280 (the 3 months since I ordered has flown!).

I once swore I'd never buy another car from an Inchcape dealership as long as I lived following a previous bad (no, f***ing awful) experience - that was a Toyota dealership. But the options are limited - all the Merc dealers in the midlands are all Inchcape.

So I went along and related my prior experience to the sales guy who assured me unreservedly that they, and Mercedes wouldnt let me down. I left with a warm feeling that it would all be ok...

....until I picked the car up this morning that is.

After sorting out all the paper work, paying for the vehicle and having been given the overview of all the controls I was just about to leave with my new toy when I realised there were no paddles behind the steering wheel. I specifically ordered (and paid for!) 'tip-tronic' just so I could have that 'I'm still in control' feeling for those more 'spirited' drives (its an automatic of course).

The dealer goes and checks the order form - sure enough it was on there so someone somewhere has fecked up. Great.

So I'm instantly gutted - the bubble was burst and my 'perfect day' spoilt. To be fair the sales guy was clearly gutted for me too - it wasnt his fault.

So where does that leave me? They want me to tell them what they need to do to 'make it right'.

You cannot have it retro-fitted (they checked) so the only viable options appear to be:

1. Order another (they said they will do that if I wish) - but that means another 3 month wait and I havent a car at the moment (been borrowing Dads and a mates car since I sold the S!)

2. Live with it (can I? Probably, but it'll 'erk me' for a long long while) and accept some form of compensation in addition to the refund.

I dont really want to wait another 3 months but i'm really pee'd off that they've 'spoilt' this for me. A free service was tentatively mentioned, but it'll take more than a free service to change the way I'm feeling right now.

Annoyingly they seem to be putting the ball in my court - but I dont know where to start!

What would you do (being realistic!)?

Old 03-29-2007, 10:13 AM

I would expect them to replace the car with the one you ordered, whilst letting you drive that one in the meantime! That should put the pressure on them to get it quicker than the 3 month lead..

A free service indeed!
Old 03-29-2007, 10:15 AM

Get them to order another to the proper spec, and you drive the current one in the meen time.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:16 AM

Dont setlle for it. 3 months will be nothing compared to the length of time you own the car without it being the way you want it.

Tell them you want the car you ordered and that you need a spare car for the 3 months while you wait.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:16 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly as Alex says. They should loan you one with the flappy paddles and in the meantime they sort you out a new car with the specification that you ordered.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:19 AM

I share your angst - clowns are everywhere these days.

Not having the car I specified would always be something that would annoy me. I'd ask them to order the correct car, let me continue to drive the wrongly specified one until it arrives and give me a little extra something (e.g free service or a few quid off the invoice) when it arrives.

Good luck whatever you do.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:21 AM

If they won't do it, demand your money back and look elsewhere.

You might find a nice used one.

Good luck.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by alex.stanley,Mar 29 2007, 06:13 PM
I would expect them to replace the car with the one you ordered, whilst letting you drive that one in the meantime! That should put the pressure on them to get it quicker than the 3 month lead..

A free service indeed!

It's the least they could do...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:26 AM

Another vote for "order correct one", keep cockup one until it arrives. Unlikely to go for it though given the loss they'd make on it.

Might go for a loaning you a demonstrator though.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:00 AM

Yep, I'd echo everyone else.

They order the correct car and provide you with a car in the mean time.

Quick Reply: F***ing Inchcape