Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Family Car

Old 01-25-2013, 03:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Yeah, i can appreciate that based on your experience.

I am currently sat in a dealer waiting for the security update. Apparently the car wont start now they've done the update. Joy of joys.
Does the update consist of a bit of gaffer tape over the OBD port?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 AM

The latest work recommended for ours leaves very little change from £9k... needless to say, without a significant dealer or BM contribution that wont be happening and the car will be scrapped. What a waste of a beautiful car, but if repairing such things costs so much, beyond life with a warranty they are not viable ownership propositions and I refuse to be held to ransom (warranty) for a car that 'should' be better. Our is a good, low mileage, one owner example, full history and has developed a fault that costs more than a Dacia Duster costs new. Not good enough.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:45 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Phil for that money you could be driving about in a reliable pre-FREDs* car like that Subaru I showed. Parts can be expensive but they are extremely reliable and can be fixed without you having to cut off limbs or be plugged into computers and charged silly money for ridiculous software reloads. Our family/dog wagon is the 2-litre exact same age/model as that one I showed but on an 08 plate. My E92 M3 BMW has been fun occasionally but it feels too much like a ticking time bomb should anything serious go wrong. Monthly cost before consumables and service (i.e. tax, insurance and extended warranty) is £150. The M3, not the Subaru, is the reason I have named driver AA cover (don't trust BMW's own service). It is going to a new home in spring once it can be safely driven on our roads again

* Fcking Ridiculous Electronic Devices
Old 01-25-2013, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Trotter
C63

Oh yes.

Buy it.
Test drove one, and it left me completely underwhelmed. Which was an utter surprise as I was giggling like a teenager before setting off in it. It really is just a boring Merc C class (nice enough) with a huge engine.

Monaro/VXR?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Option c Lexus ISF 5.0 V8.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 626 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by phil121081
The latest work recommended for ours leaves very little change from £9k... needless to say, without a significant dealer or BM contribution that wont be happening and the car will be scrapped.
What a f@#king joke. I feel for you mate.

Mine is still sat at BM immobilised by their "work". Not impressed. The service manager did actually say to me 'When they go wrong like this we're reliant on BMW to tell us what's wrong'. Hmmm. They've said a new control unit and then a reprogramme.

They do a sh1t job of the software dev and then cant fix it. It should be the other way, the software tells you exactly what's wrong. As ever crap code is at the heart of it, when I was in dev the sh1te devs would code the 'happy path' stuff so it worked (i cant say well) but all exceptions would be a fur cup, i think the same is true here. Poor.

Who makes good cars now? the Koreans?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM

The Koreans do but they don't do anything exciting yet. Anything interesting by Infiniti? Mind you aren't they American Nissan's?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 PM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

[quote name='phil121081' timestamp='1359031976' post='22288
The CR-V is ok, but I only really like exciting honda's (S2000 and ITR), the civic was a means to an end, no offense to others who have them.

[/quote]

Quite amusing...
Old 01-25-2013, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by smnasn
Originally Posted by lower' timestamp='1359032397' post='22288771
I don't know how old your kids are but the boot on an evoque is tiny.

We've just gone through the same process and chose a Volvo XC60.

Its not going to set the world on fire performance wise but its quite a pleasant place to be inside and comes with loads of toys.
I've owned my XC60 for nearly two years now. Very pleased with it.

We quite regularly go to south of France or Geneva, it just munches the miles effortlessly and is extremely comfortable.

Most definitely not a fast car, but there's quite a pleaseant large object being moved by big force feel to it that I like. The 5 pot motor sounds vaguely pleasant too compared to 4 pots.

In its winter boots it's been superb in the recent weather too FWIW.
+ 3

XC60 does the whole family thing superbly. Ride & refinement is in another league to anything I've previously had. Heated seats in this weather is fantastic. It's not a drivers car but it doesn't wallow about either. 300 ft lb of torque is plenty for a family chariot

Then when the sunny weather arrives its "love I'll take her to swimming in the S" followed by baaaaaaarp baaaaaaaaarp instead of data dagga hiss
Old 01-26-2013, 03:53 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
Phil for that money you could be driving about in a reliable pre-FREDs* car like that Subaru I showed. Parts can be expensive but they are extremely reliable and can be fixed without you having to cut off limbs or be plugged into computers and charged silly money for ridiculous software reloads. Our family/dog wagon is the 2-litre exact same age/model as that one I showed but on an 08 plate. My E92 M3 BMW has been fun occasionally but it feels too much like a ticking time bomb should anything serious go wrong. Monthly cost before consumables and service (i.e. tax, insurance and extended warranty) is £150. The M3, not the Subaru, is the reason I have named driver AA cover (don't trust BMW's own service). It is going to a new home in spring once it can be safely driven on our roads again

* Fcking Ridiculous Electronic Devices
or you could buy my W8 for £3K, which would blow that Subaru into the weeds, have thousands left over and a potential downside of peanuts

Quick Reply: Family Car