Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Fast cars

Old 05-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Can I just add that Mercedes-Benz drivers (especially old ones and ones and ones in those stupid A & B hot-air balloon things) really wind me up on the roads?

I think the hopelessness/age-onset depression is probably the connection.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

...and the non-indicating, erratic-stopping, self-important sanctimony.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

When i drove a mates SL I find I set the cruise to about 60 and pottle along, it's not a car for rushing around in, that's why Honda built the S2k, so we can have some fun.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not so much a luxobarge, but something like a prelude, or a newer accord would suit my 2nd car desire. granted they are a bit bigger than my needs, but they do make for very smooth and comfortable driving with little drama.

aside from not being able to afford an NSX, there would be no other affordable car to replace the S2000 with. what is there out there that matches an s2000 style car?
tvr, lotus, noble possibly. all well out of my price range.

i can honestly see my next car being an accord.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:55 AM

I followed a 911 Carerra 4S for 18 miles yesterday. I was in a diesel Merc. The same thing occurred to me.

Granted it was 4pm and nearing rush hour but I as watching him closely because I am very very tempted to buy one at the moment. (996 C4S cab is now
Old 05-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

as a rule, before 7am and after 9pm during the week, and any time at weekends, I drive the M5

any other time, the Omega or some other hack

works fine
Old 05-01-2009, 12:54 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Emminently sensible, I do something similar, except it's an S2000/train combination.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:08 PM

Most of the fun I've had in the S has probably been under 50mph. It is the fastest car I've driven but it doesn't, perhaps rightly so, feel very fast anymore. I love how it feels to fling around a bend though, and that doesn't require breaking the law.

Maybe the old bloke in question was always interested in top end speed, which is useless on the road, or even on most tracks. There's nothing exciting about driving the S, or any other driver-focussed car, at high speed in a straight line.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by GrittyShaker,May 2 2009, 12:08 AM
Most of the fun I've had in the S has probably been under 50mph. It is the fastest car I've driven but it doesn't, perhaps rightly so, feel very fast anymore. I love how it feels to fling around a bend though, and that doesn't require breaking the law.

Maybe the old bloke in question was always interested in top end speed, which is useless on the road, or even on most tracks. There's nothing exciting about driving the S, or any other driver-focussed car, at high speed in a straight line.
Hi Scott i agree, to me even the SC'd S was slow against my bikes, and to be frank ive lost all intrest also, been there done that and im sick of the shite i get from the slow brigade!! now im looking at building a dedicated track car or cart as doing any kind of speed on an A road or any other road as a matter of fact! is jail bait, and ive had my warnings believe me, but now im on a different level!!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:27 PM

The thing is that there is something visceral about driving quickly down a b-road that track driving will never provide.

No run off, and you don't know the road so you pick your braking points based on multiple factors. You also have to deal with a vast array of surface changes/imperfections that cause the car to weave/pull jerk under braking.

It is like the difference between Ballroom dancing (Track driving) and a street fight (B-Road driving).

Ballroom dancing - you practice, practice, practice to perfection. If you make a mistake, you look a dork.

Street fight - you practice but you never know what your opponent is going to throw at you. You deflect, counter and attack. If you make a mistake, you get seriously hurt.

Now racing is a different kettle of fish again.

To fit in with the analogy - Ballroom dancing on a minefield

Quick Reply: Fast cars