Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

The Formula 1 Thread - 2015

Old 11-25-2015, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else less than thrilled for this last race?
Old 11-25-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD
Hard to get excited about it, as there's nothing left to play for. As Tilkedromes go, Abu Dhabi isn't as bad as some, but it still feels like a tinselled and ill-conceived track, enlivened by the novelty of "racing into the sunset". I hate circuits in countries which have no racing heritage and no indigenous automotive history. they feel "fake" and don't deserve to have the right to host a Grand Prix. The only reason they have one is because they've handed over a large amount of money - international willy-waving.

If these various dictatorships want to show off and host a Grand Prix they can, but the hosting fee should subsidise a core of races on proper circuits with some heritage, which should be ring-fenced with the rest of the calendar arranged around them. Silverstone, because Britain has a greater motorsport history than anybody else, a hugely important motor racing industry, and it's the only airfield circuit remaining, airfields being vital to the development of motor racing after the second World War, Monza for similar reasons and because it's the only high-speed "slipstreaming" track left, albeit in emaciated form, Spa and Suzuka for obvious reasons, and Monaco because it would never be allowed today and the sponsors love it. Others worthy of consideration would be Brazil, France if they could find a decent circuit, Germany for the same reasons as Britain as long as they could find somewhere better than the castrated Hockenheim and Australia. I'd want to find a way to include Imola as well.

And breathe.........
Old 11-25-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD
It's going to be a good excuse for a snooze in front of the TV on a Sunday afternoon.
And also serves the purpose of an excuse not to be dragged out to the shops

Who knows. Might have some midfield action as the also rans try and squeeze out a few extra points they can turn into cash for next season.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:46 AM

IMO, this race will decide the 2016 championship.

If Rosberg wins here, Hamilton will be rattled. I think it's an absolute MUST win for Lewis or I will actually bet on Nico to take the championship next year.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:04 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus

If Rosberg wins here, Hamilton will be rattled. I think it's an absolute MUST win for Lewis or I will actually bet on Nico to take the championship next year.
Lol, you're joking right?
Old 11-26-2015, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imc27
If these various dictatorships want to show off and host a Grand Prix they can, but the hosting fee should subsidise a core of races on proper circuits with some heritage, which should be ring-fenced with the rest of the calendar arranged around them. Silverstone, because Britain has a greater motorsport history than anybody else, a hugely important motor racing industry, and it's the only airfield circuit remaining, airfields being vital to the development of motor racing after the second World War, Monza for similar reasons and because it's the only high-speed "slipstreaming" track left, albeit in emaciated form, Spa and Suzuka for obvious reasons, and Monaco because it would never be allowed today and the sponsors love it. Others worthy of consideration would be Brazil, France if they could find a decent circuit, Germany for the same reasons as Britain as long as they could find somewhere better than the castrated Hockenheim and Australia. I'd want to find a way to include Imola as well.

And breathe.........
Snetteton, Thruxton and Castle Coombe were airfields I think. And probably some others too. Which is a shame in a way as they end up being too flat; Britain could have done with a few more circuits like Donington.

I agree with your rant. Silverstone, Monaco, Spa and Monza were all on the calendar in 1950, the first year of F1 so how can we possibly lose any of them? Perhaps what should have happened is that the sport should have bought up these classic venues to make sure they're safe as to most fans the history of the sport is a big part of the appeal and the venues are a big part of that. Football teams own their stadiums so why can't F1 own some of its venues?
Old 11-26-2015, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1448480810' post='23812596

Nope. Just like Spa decided the 2014 championship, I really do think that is Lewis loses a track he always performs well at, it'll be a blow too much for next year.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Originally Posted by alSpeed2k' timestamp='1448525062' post='23812980
[quote name='Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1448480810' post='23812596']

Nope. Just like Spa decided the 2014 championship, I really do think that is Lewis loses a track he always performs well at, it'll be a blow too much for next year.
[/quote]

Lol, talk about blind optimism ... Hamilton has no 'proper' motivation to win the remaining races, he has done all he needs to do this season as he is now 2015 World Champion and a triple world champion like Senna his hero. He just wants to get the season over and go party with his rapper mates in the states. There is no way the end of this season will have any effect on next.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:59 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think taking your foot off is a big mistake. Nico at the moment has a very good psychological motivation and is on a real run. A foot in the door. Consider that against Hamilton claiming all the remaining pole positions and race wins, which would flatten Nico's off season, which is a long time to either be in a positive frame of mind or a negative one.

Maybe Hamilton knows he has it under control, only history will tell.

But as we know, history has show that he hasn't always proven to be faster than all his team mates
Old 11-28-2015, 05:06 AM

So 2017 will not shake things up after all.
More downforce from wings and diffusers will still create the wake of turbulent air and make close racing difficult. Probably even worse than it is now.
Great stuff..

Quick Reply: The Formula 1 Thread - 2015