Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

General Advice Regarding Traffic Offence

Old 01-19-2011, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Agree ^^
I'll try my best tomorrow. I have 8 months left on my policy so will just enjoy the time and hope my extra 1 year no claims bonus (touch wood) will help with my tender age.
I pay £2200 now so surely it has to go down by renewal. That or I'll be on the Nissan Micra forum!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:33 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Policy document is quite clear (see page 54), in that you need to check your certificate and policy schedule to see what they say. What was discussed on the phone isn't really that important, it's what is says on the documents first and foremost.

http://www.bell.co.uk/policyDocs/BL12%2006...y%20Booklet.pdf

“Am I insured to drive someone else’s car?”
You may have Third Party Only cover when driving someone else’s car. To see if this
is applicable please refer to your current Certificate of Motor Insurance and section 3,
Liability to other people on page 10 of this booklet.
and from Page 10

1b Driving other cars
If you qualify under this section, cover is for the policyholder only and is Third Party only,
while driving a private motor car within our territorial limits. Your current Certificate of Motor
Insurance will say if you have this cover.
We will cover you for everything listed in clause 1a when you are driving any other car as
long as:
n your current Certificate of Motor Insurance says so
n you hold a valid Driving Licence and are not disqualified
n the other car is not owned by you, a rental car, nor hired to you under a hire purchase
or leasing agreement
n you have the owner’s permission to drive the car
n there is a valid insurance policy in force for that car
n you are not covered by any other insurance to drive it
n you still have your car, and it has not been damaged beyond repair, stolen nor sold
Also see Page 25 where various exclusions are listed, including:
2 Excluding drivers under 25
We will not provide cover when your car is being driven by, or is in the charge of,
any person specifically excluded in the current Policy Schedule.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:54 PM

Third party cover for other cars used to be common, but it one of these things that has recently become more restricted.

I think some policies don't cover it whatever your age.

Important thing to check nowadays whenever taking out new cover or even renewals.

I think there is a defence where you genuinely thought you were insured but were not, which I guess would cover an insurance company cock up, but certainly not in this case which, as above, is down to "small print".

Other thing about third party cover for other vehicles to be aware of is that it generally does not cover you to tow a trailer - one of the main reasons why I was always added as a named driver to my folks' old SIII Landrover policy, as we all used it to tow a boat.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:16 PM

The insurance company knows your age and therefore knows that you would not be covered for driving other vehicles 3rd party. So if it states in your insurance certificate that you are covered third party, then it puts the blame on them for incorrectly stating this. Well that's what I would argue anyway
Old 01-19-2011, 11:50 PM

Veehex- you'll need to tell them you're recording the call before you do it, otherwise it's illegal and were you to offer it up as defence for anything, you'd probably land yourself in more trouble.

Wobbly - fine except the arguement would be that the person on the phone cannot be expected to know the ins and outs of every policy from every company (assuming it's a broker) and there will have been a comment somewhere either verbal or written that states to check all policy documentation thoroughly - as LG seems to have managed to pull out.

Tommy - bad luck dude It sucks when innocent mistakes go punished. Sods law that you pay that much for insurance then get done for having no insurance, when there are people who knowing drive around with nothing and go uncaught. I also think you were pretty unlucky that the police officer didn't show a bit of leniency. I'm quite sure some would have seen that you were paying £2200 to insure your car and therefore the last thing you'd be trying to do was drive without insurance.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Jan 19 2011, 11:33 PM
What was discussed on the phone isn't really that important
Err, i'd say it was very important, especially infront of a Magistrate!

The insurance company will have a copy of the call.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wobbly,Jan 19 2011, 11:16 PM
The insurance company knows your age and therefore knows that you would not be covered for driving other vehicles 3rd party. So if it states in your insurance certificate that you are covered third party, then it puts the blame on them for incorrectly stating this. Well that's what I would argue anyway
You can argue that all you like but, as far as I know, you are responsible for making sure that you are insured.

I understand that it is a genuine mistake but properly checking your insurance documents when you receive them is important given the propensity of people to make mistakes.

You can try complaining to the insurance company but in the eyes of the law, I believe, that you are liable...
Old 01-20-2011, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by keith2.2,Jan 20 2011, 08:50 AM
Tommy - bad luck dude It sucks when innocent mistakes go punished. Sods law that you pay that much for insurance then get done for having no insurance, when there are people who knowing drive around with nothing and go uncaught. I also think you were pretty unlucky that the police officer didn't show a bit of leniency. I'm quite sure some would have seen that you were paying £2200 to insure your car and therefore the last thing you'd be trying to do was drive without insurance.
Well, there;s some luck involved.

It is a bit unfortunate but if Bell offered cover for people younger than 25 than is is likely the insurance cost would have gone up. "If" he would have been involved in an accident then he would not have been covered.

A coouple of thoughts on next steps:

a) see if you can speak to the officer involved. Show him your insurance cover and in particular how much you paid. There might be a very small chance he may let it go.

b)let it go to court - you have good mitigating circumstances which may sway the mags?

c) ignore it-it might go away (e.g police mess up the paperwork). Difficult for any salaried worker in a decent job to do this of course.

If you are found guilty of driving with no insurance then you will have to bend over even more on any insurance you get for ANY future car.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus,Jan 20 2011, 08:51 AM

You would be amazed at the number of companies who either do not actually record the calls, or do not store them once recorded and therefore are unable to provide them when needed.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus,Jan 20 2011, 08:51 AM

unfortunately just believing you were insured based on a telephone conversation when you have been sent or have access to the full policy wording isn't going to cut the mustard.

You might get a lenient judge who would reduce the penalty, but it isn't going to get you off.

I'm afraid its time to bend over and take the fine, points and subsequent hike in premiums and be glad that you found out that you weren't insured by being stopped by the police. Better that than finding out when you've been in an accident.

Quick Reply: General Advice Regarding Traffic Offence