Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Lotus Exige

Old 01-17-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was going for one of these the Honda in me tells me to go for this -

http://forum.hondarevolutions.com/viewtopic.php?t=61364

I quite like it in white.

Had a great tussle with a silver "type R" powered Exige at Donny a few years ago - very impressive handling
Old 01-17-2006, 01:01 PM

My mate next door has an M3, another neighbour has an Exige - mate backed into Exige by accident at very low speed, breaking half a rear light cluster (
Old 01-18-2006, 02:21 AM

[QUOTE=jimpom23,Jan 17 2006, 11:01 PM] My mate next door has an M3, another neighbour has an Exige - mate backed into Exige by accident at very low speed, breaking half a rear light cluster (
Old 01-18-2006, 02:49 AM

I wouldn't buy another elise/vx/exige type car. Built to a weight which makes them light and fun but not very robust. Limited numbers also means they aren't tested in the same way as a honda for example so random things can break (lost count of the number of times i fixed boot release cables and bonnet catches etc.) which you just have to get used to and can usually fix yourself. My vx broke a suspension link when driving in a straight line on a bumpy road which caused it to spin out of control, which isn't acceptable in my book. If it was any family of mine i'd steer them well clear though the elise has been improved recently and should be better now it's been designed for the us market which wouldn't put up with the same things we would here. As a point of interest the engineer who assessed the admage to mine had been to see over 100 elise derivatives involved in accidents just that year which is partly down to the type of driver i'm sure but also a fair bid down to how fragile the car is IMO.

there's still some truth in the LOTUS (lots of trouble usually serious) name.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:18 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

There is also the point that if you DO spank it big-time, you're probably far better-off doing it in an S2000 than an Elise, or kit-car especially.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Crusoe,Jan 18 2006, 11:49 AM
As a point of interest the engineer who assessed the admage to mine had been to see over 100 elise derivatives involved in accidents just that year which is partly down to the type of driver i'm sure but also a fair bid down to how fragile the car is IMO.
Is that the same as how S2000 crashes are partly due to driver ability, but a fair bit down to special diesel spills??
Old 01-18-2006, 04:06 AM

Depends on priorities.

Exige / Elise is fantastic drivers cars. I had a couple of laps with the Lotus Test driver in the S2 exige and its awesome. I dont know much about porches but the comfort factor whilst being great for posing and everyday useage, would dull down the experience a little.

I would actually go for a Honda powered elise rather than the exige. They arent much slower, its mainly the aerodynamics that produce more downforce (slowing it a little) and suspension set up that makes it different. I also love the feeling of open top motoring.

Yes, lots of elises crash but like the S, they are also getting into the range of chavdom.

hth

steve
Old 01-18-2006, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for those responses guys .

Crusoe , good to hear an owners view .
Old 01-18-2006, 04:31 AM

most are weekend toys, kept like that and pampered they are great but driven hard all year round and left outside in all weathers then you will probably have problems. Silly things like expantion header tanks made out of plastic that degrades in uv light so if you park where your car is in the sun it can degrade through the vents in the engine cover lol. Need to be prepared to live with that sort of thing.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crusoe,Jan 18 2006, 01:31 PM
most are weekend toys, kept like that and pampered they are great but driven hard all year round and left outside in all weathers then you will probably have problems. Silly things like expantion header tanks made out of plastic that degrades in uv light so if you park where your car is in the sun it can degrade through the vents in the engine cover lol. Need to be prepared to live with that sort of thing.
That cars not for him then , he has trouble cleaning them

maybe because he knows i cant stand seeing a decent car dirty and that i will go out and wash them .

I was really trying to find an alternative to the 911 rather than just go diving in, but there doesnt seem much that comes close .

btw , an exige was the same to insure as the 911

Quick Reply: Lotus Exige