Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Mondeo TDI ffs

Old 09-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Diesel owners seem to feel obliged to try it on, as do most repmobiles, however fuelled. Just a fact of life.

Ring stickers just make me laugh. On the roads, it's all about the machinery you have.

There's a current thread on Pistonheads about an MX-5 'baiting' a GT2. I'll use it as an example because the Nurburgring is along way from a typical track.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=80...353167&hl=en-GB

Watch it. It's quite interesting - up to the point that the Porsche driver gets fed up with pesky girly car. It's also pretentious in the extreme....but that's another matter.

People like me are our worst enemies really. I will usually do only just enough to stay in front of these muppets. At those 3>2/2>1 junctions, for example, I'll happily get to the merge point JUST far enough in front to have clear right of way. I've been doing it for years. So there are a lot of people out there that probably believe that:

a) their car is very nearly as fast as a Ferrari/M car/S2000/etc
b) I don't know how to drive the above

Keep hitting the sales targets guys, and you never know......
Old 09-01-2007, 01:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That mx5 vs GT2 was a lot like a wee guy at work who "raced" me in my S2K and the Elise in his Fiesta ST (presumably stands for sanitary towel?). He was all over the shop "using all of the road", and I barely scraped into VTEC at any point. He had decent grip levels, I'll give him that, but it mostly manifested itself in understeer.

I chose to stay behind in both cases as it just wasn't safe to try and overtake someone as mad as that. Not sure if he thought he kept me behind him on merit, but I was laughing my head off throughout as he clipped hedges and kicked up dirt in a vain attempt to make up ground on me.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Sep 1 2007, 08:21 AM
There's a current thread on Pistonheads about an MX-5 'baiting' a GT2. I'll use it as an example because the Nurburgring is along way from a typical track.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=80...353167&hl=en-GB

Watch it. It's quite interesting - up to the point that the Porsche driver gets fed up with pesky girly car. It's also pretentious in the extreme....but that's another matter.

What a prick

That is the big problem with the Ring
Old 09-01-2007, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Sep 1 2007, 08:21 AM
So there are a lot of people out there that probably believe that:

a) their car is very nearly as fast as a Ferrari/M car/S2000/etc
You are wrong.

99% believe it.

My wife comes home telling stories of clients who have fast cars. The cars in question have been for example:

Golf v5
Volvo "turbo"
BMW 325

I have a guy at work telling me his diesel alfa is quick.

They believe all the sales hype.

Utterly clueless and summarises nicely one of the problems with this country-mediocrity for the masses.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:23 AM

I didn't go into the 2nd cam for the firstcouple of gears and he was not far off.
WTF! That's like trying to plough on and shag with a limp cock! There's something happening but nobody is overly happy about it!

Cam up and say goodbye
Old 09-01-2007, 02:30 AM
ge2

Both pricks IMO.

The mazda was being a tad aggressive but he *was* getting held up through the corners by the porker.

The GT2 should have just let him pass and waited for a straight where he could use his rear mounted compensation and no doubt would have been able to put enough distance between them that he wouldn't be bothered again.

I really don't think the ring is for me .
Old 09-01-2007, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by ge2,Sep 1 2007, 10:30 AM
I really don't think the ring is for me .
You need big cojones
Old 09-01-2007, 02:42 AM
ge2

Originally Posted by Moggy,Sep 1 2007, 11:33 AM
You need big cojones
Looks like it!

I'm hoping when I stack my car it'll be my own fault or a racing incident.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by ge2,Sep 1 2007, 10:42 AM
Looks like it!

I'm hoping when I stack my car it'll be my own fault or a racing incident.
I like the honesty
Old 09-01-2007, 02:48 AM

Erm...I think a few people have problems with their driving style or their engines...

At 100mph if you drop it even to 5th it WILL see off any alfa shy of a 3.2, no question. If you don't use the 'box then your problem.

Off a roundabout if you use the 'box properly it WILL see off ANY Mondeo, even a chipped TDCi (I drove an ST TDCI, and while it was quick, it wasn't S2000 quick).

In fact, the only diesel I've come across which has worried me was a 535d (chap I know off PH)...and I couldn't shake him off a roundabout up to about 80. I wasn't quite in VTEC (2nd gear, ~30mph), and he didn't bother to change gear, apparently. It was pretty much level.

Quick Reply: Mondeo TDI ffs