Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

New 911 T

Old 11-18-2009, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooooo

Just confirmed an invite to drive to new 911 Turbo at the Porsche Silverstone facility in February next year including lunch etc for me and a guest who both get an hour around the test track, ice hill, skid plate etc.

Will be taking my Uncle who used to have a 944 Turbo and is a petrol head
Old 11-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Starlight,Nov 18 2009, 02:36 PM
Ooooo

Just confirmed an invite to drive to new 911 Turbo at the Porsche Silverstone facility in February next year including lunch etc for me and a guest who both get an hour around the test track, ice hill, skid plate etc.

Will be taking my Uncle who used to have a 944 Turbo and is a petrol head
i've done something similar, its a great day out. Enjoy
Old 11-18-2009, 11:11 PM

Let us know how you get on
Old 11-20-2009, 03:55 AM

New 911 conv looks nice

Old 11-20-2009, 04:03 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Not sure they will ever make a 911 cab look good...

That looks even more like a beetle cab now!
Old 11-20-2009, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by MB,Nov 20 2009, 01:03 PM
Not sure they will ever make a 911 cab look good...

That looks even more like a beetle cab now!
I like it , not sure I would have one though, convertible in this country is a no go IMO
Old 11-20-2009, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fornt looks OK
Never liked the "high waist" of the 911 cabs
Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 PM

Had my drivers day today in the Gen II 911 Turbo.

Great day

They were doing sessions with 6 people at a time where you swapped between a manual car and a PDK gearbox car round the Porsche facility, ice hill and kick plate.

The PDK car also had Torque Vectoring which under tight cornering and some power application would provide a little more over steer to bring the nose round more than the slight under steer that normally is set up in these cars. It was a noticeable improvement in the handling and made tight corning at speed great fun. Also Porsche have incorporated engine blip on down shifting in the PDK to rev match and this does sound nice when dropping through the gears.

Instantly felt very comfortable in the car both in its ride and interior but particularly in its handling round the track. And hell does it shift and the exhaust note when the peddle is pushed to the floor is bloody marvellous

While the PDK car was good and easy to drive without having to think about the gears, at times it felt slightly slow in changing down when applying lots of throttle coming out of a corner a few times.

The advantage of the manual was we could leave it in 3rd gear to go all the way around the track and just concentrate on steering.

They also then swapped us into a second set of cars which we drove round to a piece of track inside copse corner inside the silverstone track where they had a nice straight area to test launch control in two different PDK cars and also acceleration in a manual car, along with a high speed stop and then a short slalom through some cones and a swerve avoidance stage as well. On the quick starts I started in a manula car and we started rolling in forst then quickly changed into 2nd before pushing the throttle to the floor and the car just growls and accelerates away with impressive speed, so much so that I forgot to change out of 2nd by the time we went through the brake cones with a nice big grin on my face.

We then swapped cars twice so we drove two PDK cars and did full launch control starts which are epic fun and the car just scrabbles for grip as it puts the power down and keeping the throttle pegged to the floor until reaching the break cone bring up around 110 or so. Each gear change up by the PDK under hard acceleration seamed to just give another boost and while the grin on my face was huge I was also awed by the power and delivery of such power.

So yes these cars were capable on launch control after launch control without any complaining from the gearbox and while it was great fun I fail to see any practical use for such a facility. So in all I think I would end up still going for a manual car if I ever came in to the finances to pick up one of these.

All in all we (my Uncle who was my guest for the day and also got to do the complete driving experience) had a great day along with a nice lunch followed by a ride in a road going Cayenne round the off-road course and then after the 911 driving we got a passenger ride round the handling circuit in a Panamera S and the driver was able to seriously throw this car about including power slides round the corners and achieve a few very quick laps as well as giving it serious power round the low grip area and performing several doughnuts round the skid pan. Certainly made a great finish to the day before we left.

Wo bit of a long post but hopefully somebody might read it and find it informative
Old 02-01-2010, 01:03 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Lucky bugger

Any pics? And are you coming to Spa?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:12 PM

Now booking for SPA

No pics from today, just look on the Porsche site Have to say the car did look very good in red, blue and white. The other colours were just not as good. Also I did like the single central locking nut wheels they did look very nice.

I think my Uncle fell in love with the blue one though.

Quick Reply: New 911 T