Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

new car faulty

Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new car faulty

working for fords we have a voucher scheme where close relatives can have a discount on new cars anything up to 25% ,anyway my brother in law picked up a new1.4 diesel fiesta from a dealer about 25 miles away (better trade in ect) from his home .He collected it on saturday30 june ,by the monday it had developed an intermittent noise from the engine ,he rang the dealer on the monday and they told him to take it to his nearest branch . He rang the local dealer and was told that they couldnt fit him in till the friday(this is like war and peace,my poor finger is killing me ) The mechanic walks up to the car and didnt even lift the bonnet ,his words were" that dont sound right you will have to take back where you bought it", So he did ,it looks like they cant find the problem and thats its pretty serious small end or crank related , well they are fobbing him off something terrible ,anyone gened up on consumer law ? the car has done 200 miles and the engine is stuffed , if it was a washing machine i would expect a new one , wwhere does he stand ?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Simple

He has them bang to rights.

Has he spoken with anyone more than a pleb?

Like the dealer principal?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:08 PM

I know his girl friend has spoken to ford customer services who told her that they dont have to replace the car , he works away from home so she deals with most of it on his behalf I think she has spoken to lesser plebs and as you suggest needs to up the ante
Old 07-08-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This will be covered by the Sale of Goods Act.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/buying/yo...egal_rights.jsp

My advice is to take it back to the dealer, leave it on their premises, give them the keys and then seek legal advice. I'm sure once you start speaking about lawyers and the Sale of Goods Act they will suddenly have a change of heart.

I would not accept them repairing the car, I would demand a replacement or a full refund.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:49 PM

thanks ive past the advice on plus i will give ford customer service a ring myself tomorrow , its not on is it ?
Old 07-08-2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by gtman,Jul 8 2008, 08:25 PM
This will be covered by the Sale of Goods Act.
Not necessarily. We need a legal bod here, but since he is getting the car for a considerable discount there may be something written into the employees contract about cars purchased in this way.

Could be a legal minefield.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:10 PM

I understood that they were allowed to make reasonable attempts to resolve the problem - which may or may not involve a replacement vehicle.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If the car was a few months old then I would expect them to attempt to repair it but the fact it is a brand new car and the engine sounds knackered means a replacement or a full refund in my book, I would not accept anything less. If something minor like a heater didn't work then a repair should be enough but would you be happy paying for a new car and then two days later have it develop severe engine problems?

Check out the link below, in particular read Part5A:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023045.htm

Basically, you have 6 months from the date of purchase in which the dealer has no choice other than to repair or replace the vehicle. If Ford don't budge then I would simply speak to a solictor and instruct them to seek a full replacement or refund. If you read the rights of the buyer you will find that if Ford do not remedy the situation within a reasonable time then you are well within your rights for a full refund. I'm certain a good solictor will simply write to Ford and tell them exactly what they need to do and by what date otherwise a full refund will be expected.

I'm no lawyer but that is my interpretation. My bill is in the post.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:48 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Fix Or Repair Daily.

Normally, you'd give 'em chance to repair; lemon laws only cover repeated faults (US manufacturers' crappy produkts).

Thing is, will a new lump affect its s/h value (ie less then a quid)? I cannot imagine non-matching numbers makes any difference to a Fraud Featherlite, if it's an under warranty job. But some people are terribly fussy about such stuff.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noises from the engine, its a diesel init

HTH

Quick Reply: new car faulty