Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

New project crx to keep me busy!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New project crx to keep me busy!

I bought this little beauty this afternoon having owned several when i was younger.In need of TLC but it's been with the same owner for the last 14 years!As soon as i saw it in his drive i knew i was having it,but when i drove it i got all excited and couldn't stop smiling!I really have forgotten how much i love these things.

So my plan is to restore it to "as new" condition and then have it as a keeper.Came back today and i've already bought new suspension,brakes and wheels/tyres.First thing when i get back at christmas will be to get started on the bodywork (it has rust in the usuall places) and in the new year i'll book it in to have a full retrim at the place that did my yellow S2000.Having driven it today i don't think it'll need much mechanically,but in the course of time i'll refurb every single part.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:04 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I had one exactly like that for 8 1/2 years - it was a great car.

Have you bought new 'original' wheel, or something larger? I'd avoud anything larger than the original 15" as the very choppy to begin with, and lower profile tyres it'll be even worse. I'd get the existing wheels refurbed.

Yep, rust on the rear wheel arch - the usual place (is the sunroof in the same state?)

Either way, enjoy it
Old 12-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Interesting choice.

May buy something (older and interesting like that) myself in the next few weeks.

Is it the vtec model?

If so I may have a roadtest in a mag somewhere - you would be welcome to it.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:19 AM

Cheers guys,i've already owned three 16 valver's and one v-tec.My first ever car i bought was a crx,so this is one big nostalgia trip for me!Sunroof is as you'd expect rust wise but i'm chasing up a good condition one from a friend as we speak.I found a set of fully refurbed matching wheels which i'm simply part exchanging these for.Although i am uprating the suspension and brakes.I want to do the mechanical stuff myself and really feel as if i'm responsible for the restoration,although i have absolutely NO experience so may need to ask several questions!

This is a '91 v-tec by the way!
Old 12-02-2007, 06:35 AM

Excellent.

Always loved those little things.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:30 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by ikobo,Dec 2 2007, 03:19 PM
Cheers guys,i've already owned three 16 valver's and one v-tec.My first ever car i bought was a crx,so this is one big nostalgia trip for me!Sunroof is as you'd expect rust wise but i'm chasing up a good condition one from a friend as we speak.I found a set of fully refurbed matching wheels which i'm simply part exchanging these for.Although i am uprating the suspension and brakes.I want to do the mechanical stuff myself and really feel as if i'm responsible for the restoration,although i have absolutely NO experience so may need to ask several questions!

This is a '91 v-tec by the way!
Good for you, it's so nice to see a car restored to original, rather than chavved up. I know the guy who bought mine almost immediately put some 16" wheels on, and mucked about with the ECU amongst other things

A travesty for what was one of the last VTECs sold in the country (it was registered in Feb '93, I bought it in May 94) and had been kept in very good condition.

I only have 'analogue' photos of it, I also have the original article in Car magazine which covered the 2nd hand purchase of a CRX.

May I ask how much you paid for it?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:13 AM

Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

There's a tidy one for sale on the NSX website - it's a B16A too.

Seems to be a rule about all older Civics; any wheel larger than 15" ruins them.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:18 AM

iv'e always liked the CRX so i got a first gen as a beater, goes much quicker than it should puts most 2.0 litre cars to shame (there are exceptions )

then i got another one today to turn into a convertible

like this

i think i've got my work cut out for next year what with the S800 as well
lucky i dont have a Telly

never got around to buying a vtec one, i did leave a deposit on one a few years ago. after a 100 mile round trip only to be told a day later he has sold it to someone else for more money
he did send the deposit back with a little extra i ended up buying a '93 Civic vtec

cool cars, excellent buy

Old 12-02-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Acutally, that seems to work a lot better than I'd expect; probably got the rigidity of a jelly, knowing ED-EK Civics generally.

Seems nuts there's no CRX/Del Sol equivalent in the modern Honda range.

Quick Reply: New project crx to keep me busy!