Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Nissan GTR.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roadie you've gone and done it again - everytime you post up a pic of that countach my hearts misses a beat and then as the adrenalin comes back in to start the ole blood pump I need to go and kill small house pets to satiate the desire for gull wing door classics.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:09 AM
Banned

I've had chance to have alook at a couple of these now and the GTR is really growing on me, the dash is a complete mess and looks cheap, but the seats look great. Still haven't had chance to drive one yet
Old 05-24-2009, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by MB,May 24 2009, 08:16 AM
Video was good

The only minor gripe I have with it (apart from the stupid warranty) is the paddle shifts don't move with the wheel
It's a tricky one that though Mark.

I think all the flappy paddle cars have static positioning.

Reason being that during arm twirly moments - you have a reliable datum for the shift that prevents you from doing something dumbass related.

Only the single seaters don't have the static flappy paddles, but then they only have about 3/4 of a turn lock to lock!
Old 05-24-2009, 03:38 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe the CSL and porkers have them on the wheel.

Plus, where the GTR makes up time on things like the 911 GT3, is that you can change mid bend due to the speed of the gear change.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by MB,May 24 2009, 12:38 PM
I believe the CSL and porkers have them on the wheel.
Ahh but the Porkers/Mercs are Mickey Mouse auto style gearboxes.

Speed of the change I would have though irrelevant on mid corner shifting, more smoothness?

I still think a normal manual would be better.

Perhaps we can get some detail insight from the Clarkson wanabe?!
Old 05-24-2009, 03:54 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It's the fact that you can change, where in a manual you can't normally change mid corner.

The speed of the GTR change means the car is not upset in the slightest mid bend. Speed and smoothness go hand in hand. A slow change would allow the flywheel to slow down in relation to the prop shaft, and therefore upset the car.

Manual would slow it down - like I say, the gear changes are where the GTR eats into the porkers time on a circuit.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:11 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The DSG offers a lot of promise of smoother, faster shifts over a manual and they actually could weigh less then a slushbox, which is why everyone's working on them.

The momentum is there for the DSG to be the next big thing; even Porsche are switching back to the PDK from those manualised slushboxes theyve used since the 959.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,May 24 2009, 12:48 PM
Ahh but the Porkers/Mercs are Mickey Mouse auto style gearboxes.

Speed of the change I would have though irrelevant on mid corner shifting, more smoothness?

I still think a normal manual would be better.

Perhaps we can get some detail insight from the Clarkson wanabe?!
Wrong.

CSL is a normal M3 manual gearbox with a bunch of hydraulics activating the gearbox.

Having driven the CSL in anger around the ring, having the paddles move with the wheel is definitely a good thing. It only becomes an issue during drifting. But the gearbox won't let you downshift too much and overrev the engine.

It's a pain in the car park, but then again it does have a shift knob in the normal place that you can use. Which I'd probably get used to in not much time at all.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,May 24 2009, 02:11 PM
The DSG offers a lot of promise of smoother, faster shifts over a manual and they actually could weigh less then a slushbox, which is why everyone's working on them.

The momentum is there for the DSG to be the next big thing; even Porsche are switching back to the PDK from those manualised slushboxes theyve used since the 959.
The 993 tiptronic is the worst gearbox I've ever had the misfortune to use.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:28 AM

Well, I don't know what most of the above posts means, but I will confirm the details once I've figured it out and I get to play with the GTR again this week.
It is, however, just too easy to set the auto box on and watch the car do its stuff. I've been in the Lamborghini most of today as I wanted to get used to it before the Thirlestane Castle event in two weeks.

Meantime, I've been at an Italian Car Meet today in St Andrews. I'll pop some pics on later tonight. Blurter, you'll wanna see these shots.

Quick Reply: Nissan GTR.