Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Nissan GTR tuning and mods

Old 01-04-2016, 07:07 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Originally Posted by MB' timestamp='1451912609' post='23843026
It's just the culture of the car Gad, and Jap cars in general. The GTR has pretty much always been made for people to tune, ie it's capable of a lot more poke out th box.

Are you buying one to own?
It's looking increasingly unlikely. The market looks like chav city and as Raz indicates, I'm encountering economy with the truth (even more than usual when buying).

I won't rule the GTR out yet but I'm favouring a couple of other cars atm. Yes, will be to own.

It's far worse buying expensive cars than cheapies as it seems the sellers of expensive cars have a mindset that is hardwired to the aforementioned economy with the truth. With other cars it seems to be body and paintwork...

Buy a cheap car and the seller will invariably give you chapter and verse and even point out things you might not have seen yourself.

Near news are always 'perfect', 'cept they're not.
I'd go main dealer. They don't tend to sell anything with any sort of modification for obvious warranty reasons. It's the only route I'd go with a GTR for that reason.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:15 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefifth
Surely a millionaire such as yourself can afford to buy a brand new machine equip with a full warranty.
Correct.

There are lots of things I could buy brand new and choose not to.

I can be quite tight in that respect.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MB
Originally Posted by gaddafi' timestamp='1451916652' post='23843065
[quote name='MB' timestamp='1451912609' post='23843026']
It's just the culture of the car Gad, and Jap cars in general. The GTR has pretty much always been made for people to tune, ie it's capable of a lot more poke out th box.

Are you buying one to own?
It's looking increasingly unlikely. The market looks like chav city and as Raz indicates, I'm encountering economy with the truth (even more than usual when buying).

I won't rule the GTR out yet but I'm favouring a couple of other cars atm. Yes, will be to own.

It's far worse buying expensive cars than cheapies as it seems the sellers of expensive cars have a mindset that is hardwired to the aforementioned economy with the truth. With other cars it seems to be body and paintwork...

Buy a cheap car and the seller will invariably give you chapter and verse and even point out things you might not have seen yourself.

Near news are always 'perfect', 'cept they're not.
I'd go main dealer. They don't tend to sell anything with any sort of modification for obvious warranty reasons. It's the only route I'd go with a GTR for that reason.
[/quote]

That would almost certainly be the case with any of the cars I'm looking at Mark. One exception is someone I know personally offloading a car (not a GTR) but I won't go private to save a few grand in exhange for all the risks when buying at that price level.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'll bite - Why? Just doesn't seem like a car that you'd want?!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Ok, I'll bite - Why? Just doesn't seem like a car that you'd want?!
What does "I'll bite" mean Ron?

And what sort of car do you think I'd want/not want?

I'm driving a 350Z oday, which can wake people half a mile away

Tomorrow it'll be a 1997 E36 323i

Wednesday I might take my anonymous black Jag out, Thursday I'll be driving an 03 Vauxhall and Friday I'll be in a Merc convertible.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:25 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Have to say I'm surprised you'd be into a GTR, Gad!

The thin is once you get past the badge (a badge i think quite highly of!) it's a serious machine which is way too easily dismissed as a digital car. Any reviewer will tell you it's far from digital, it's a very mechanical car and a top driving machine.

Only issues I have with it are the size and where you could use it.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
I'm driving a 350Z oday, which can wake people half a mile away

Tomorrow it'll be a 1997 E36 323i

Wednesday I might take my anonymous black Jag out, Thursday I'll be driving an 03 Vauxhall and Friday I'll be in a Merc convertible.

Who're you hiding from?
Old 01-04-2016, 12:05 PM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefifth
Surely a millionaire such as yourself can afford to buy a brand new machine equip with a full warranty.
ROFL
Old 01-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MB
Have to say I'm surprised you'd be into a GTR, Gad!

The thin is once you get past the badge (a badge i think quite highly of!) it's a serious machine which is way too easily dismissed as a digital car. Any reviewer will tell you it's far from digital, it's a very mechanical car and a top driving machine.

Only issues I have with it are the size and where you could use it.
I don't take much notice of reviews Mark but I know what you're referring to. I'm not one of those people that think you can get anywhere near a (modern fast) car's performance limits when driving responsibly on public roads, so talk of the 'car doing the driving' etc go completely over my head. I regard 'going sideways' as evidence of my poor car control not something to boast about (yes I 'get' the skill involved in drifting etc). You know I'm not interested in tracks but if I was I'd buy a dedicated track car to piss off people in GTRs.

I want something relatively new, with two doors, not convertible, loads of poke and something I haven't had before. I also have an eye on depreciation because odds are it would be a one year ownership, possibly less. There isn't that much out there that meets those criteria. Size I can only comment on when I'm more familiar with the car but I don't envisage not being to use all of the performance on public roads to be any more of a hindrance than it is with any other car. I've had enough performance cars to know that they are nice to drive at normal speeds as well as at high speeds. I doubt the GTR is any different and anyway I don't subscribe to the theory that if you are in traffic, you might as well be in a shitbox, unless economy is an issue, which for me, now, it isn't. If I could afford it, I'd go everywhere in a hypercar or RR Phantom.

It's not a 'what car should I buy?' thread. I don't want any suggestions. I was only interested in why so many GTRs are modified - often heavily. Underpinning that was a concern there were lots of things about the standard car that weren't that good or were weak spots. From what you and others are saying it's simply a case of a compulsion amongst a particular type of owner. That's all fine because as I've said, I would only be interested in a completely unmolested car. And unmolested doesn't mean flawed.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the mods, there was a guy on OCUK forum who had one. Started standard, then stage 1, followed by stage 2 and onwards..

If I recall rightly, his sentiment was due to the huge capability of the car, the novelty of the performance stage upgrades wore off pretty fast, so was in the position of either continuing to modifying, or end up bored!

I would love to own one

Quick Reply: Nissan GTR tuning and mods