Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Our ATR replacement

Old 07-28-2016, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove a Mugen. Even worse as they are on 19s as standard.

The styling at least provokes reaction, unlike 99% of the bland euroboxes on the road these days, but I can understand some not liking it. It's very striking, and to be honest I'm not sure we are even sold on it yet.

But we needed a new car and this ticked the boxes at the time. We paid the right price for it and the car is immaculate, so it'll be no great shakes if we decide it's not for us. We'll give it a few months and see if we warm to it's charms.

I will say this though, any of us who don't believe in spending £30k+ on day to day transport, has a hard time choosing a car that isn't just plain dull. The days of everyday innovative cars with character has truly gone, replaced with the latest touch screens, gismos and shiny things to impress the punters.

And on Nick's previous post, even my folk's CR-V has a worse ride than the Accord, DC2 or S2000. And that's not running on the big wheels
Old 07-28-2016, 03:04 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

I'm amazed by some of those high CoG cars. We have a Qashqai which drives like a bus but rides like a large boat. Which is what it is really.

However some of the german variants are incredibly stiff so probably ride like a badly setup caterham.

I recall a citroen on air suspension being the most comfortable passenger experience i ever had.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:21 AM

I remember going from a Citroen ZX Volcane 2.0 (basically the 306 GTI), to a Mk2 Golf GTI 16v and thinking I couldn't live with the ride in the Golf.

French always used to be great at supple sports suspension
Old 07-28-2016, 03:38 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

The other issue is that sensible cars tend not to excite and if you drive a sensible car sensibly, it's not exciting but does the sensible stuff well.

A Qashqai or whatever is a sensible thing, for doing sensible things at a sensible speed. A Golf R ( not another one ) or a Focus ST ( the new one ) is a relatively practical thing for doing sensible things in when needed.

But then both are north of £30k. Could you really lease something to cart dogs about in ...... i guess but you'd never get the smell of wet dog out of it.

I would probably have gone the other way and picked up a mid noughties CRV 2.2 CDTI for that task and kept the S2000 for fun and frolics and maybe the ATR if it makes you smile and owes you nothing. Or a year old Dacia Duster - again, perfectly fit for purpose.

I could not get excited about a CR-V but then i'd not be trying to or feeling like I should have to.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:02 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I cannot drive anything that terminally understeers like a CR-V; life's way too short to be stuck in a boring car.

It has to be entertaining to drive, even if the dog slides around a bit.

The ATR's close cousin, the Prelude, was the perfect example with probably one of the best ride/handling compromises I've ever come across. And the rear bucket seats and 4WS meant the dawg did't drift as much as in the Leg End.

Subaru make (made, actually) an excellent range of dawg wagons that didn't have to be FIA-approved, in order to ride/drive nicely. Again, it's another example of the Japanese utterly losing the plot because of the badge snobs.

I understand that Jaguar understands the ride thing on the non-brachiating varietes at least. If you could find one, one of those XF estate cars with 4WD and a big engine (at least six spark plugs) might be quite a nice old dog wagon thing for little money.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:12 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

One of those Jags is at least 20k and if you want it with less than stellar miles on, 30k.

How about one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-VOLVO...oAAOSwAYtWQybb
Old 07-28-2016, 05:10 AM

Old 07-28-2016, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
I cannot drive anything that terminally understeers like a CR-V; life's way too short to be stuck in a boring car.
Why? I mean how much understeer are you going to get whilst going up the M6 or stuck in traffic during rush hour?

Something comfy, good sound system, big boot, tow bar and cheap bits. Ford Mondeo just wins on all accounts.

Compared to the bike and Seven reps I drive for thrills, everything is a bit dull. Hell, even the bike is dull 50% of the time such is the level of traffic! No point in compromising!
Old 07-28-2016, 07:43 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

It depends. I had a hack for a long commute but a 'do it all' car neednt be dull if you do avg or less miles

My M is a very good do it all car (if £ pricey to run) but can invoke a big grin. Likewise the GT86, anything with a sound track, anything with RWD with a bold D.. There are lots of fun everyday cars. Just cos they're not as fun as a 500kg kit car or 180kg bike
Old 07-28-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
One of those Jags is at least 20k and if you want it with less than stellar miles on, 30k.

How about one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-VOLVO...oAAOSwAYtWQybb
Jag will be wort buttons in a couple of years.

I presume they're a lot lee Rohypnols to drive than the Volvo

Quick Reply: Our ATR replacement