Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Rear-ended at traffic lights

Old 10-15-2009, 05:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear-ended at traffic lights

Out shopping for a new telly and having left Richer Sounds in Glasgow (a dump of a shop incidentally), I was heading off to East Kilbride to look at some other shops. Stopped at a red light on Laurieston Road (at the junction with Cumberland Street) and then felt this thump as the bloke in the red Golf GTi behind me failed to stop.

My damage ...

The perp's damage ...

The perp himself taking photos of the scene ...

All details exchanged and I've already spoken to my insurer (Direct Line) who are arranging for the car to be picked up. They can sort me a hire car the costs of which we'll recover from the other side.

The car was drivable and seemed to handle okay. The exhaust was blowing badly so I guess the shunt has popped one of the joins in the system. Also the rear driver's side door is sticking a bit so I don't know if something else is bent. I doubt DL will elect to repair it so I await their offer.

On the plus side, I've chosen a nice 40" TV ...
Old 10-15-2009, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damage is remarkably similar to what happened to my S.

My exhaust died, rear bumper and bootlid gone.

I fear that the other party will still dispute the claim

Glad you are ok though
Old 10-15-2009, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,Oct 15 2009, 02:37 PM
Fear ye not. Just took a call from Halifax (his insurers) telling me that they're accepting full liability and did I need their help with any personal injury claim and/or a replacement vehicle.

I said I'd prefer to deal with matters through my own insurer. I guess they feel that by contacting me directly, they might be able to keep a tighter lid on costs than if I go bananas through Direct Line.

Don't think this is going to be a contentious one ...
Old 10-15-2009, 05:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,Oct 15 2009, 02:37 PM
His insurance company should dissuade him from any silliness along those lines.

If you go into the back of someone its pretty difficult to claim that it wasn't your fault.

Even when you get a situation where you are hit from behind into the person in front of you the person you hit claims off your insurance and you claim off the person that hit you.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:03 AM

That is a fairly big hit!!

Glad no issues with his insurers
Old 10-15-2009, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by (S2K4ME),Oct 15 2009, 03:03 PM
That is a fairly big hit!!
It was! I think he tried to swerve to avoid me at the last minute as he ended up at 45º to the straight on. I guess his front right corner dug into my rear hence the damage. I was at the front at the lights and didn't have my foot on the brake or my handbrake on. That may have limited the damage.

Never had whiplash so no idea what it's like. Feel fine right now so let's just hope I'm the same in the morning.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Shiskine,Oct 15 2009, 01:31 PM
The car was drivable and seemed to handle okay. The exhaust was blowing badly so I guess the shunt has popped one of the joins in the system. Also the rear driver's side door is sticking a bit so I don't know if something else is bent. I doubt DL will elect to repair it so I await their offer.
Looking at the damage and guessing at what can't be seen, I suspect that your assessment is probably correct.

Glad you're OK though...
Old 10-15-2009, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be happy your new TV wasn't in the boot.

Glad you're OK. Apart from that whiplash
Old 10-15-2009, 07:14 AM

Yep thats a write off, probably go as a cat c if my experience of DL settlement was anything to go by.

That said there is another plus I got more money from DL than I could have sold the car for. Fingers crossed you may end up the same and end up with a chunk to contribute to the TV.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Oct 15 2009, 01:51 PM
If you go into the back of someone its pretty difficult to claim that it wasn't your fault.
It isn't always clear cut in law!

Someone ran into the back of my daugter when she stopped at the entrance to a roundabout. They claimed it was her fault for stopping, and refused to negotiate.

It was my car, and my daughter was included in the insurance cover. As a result I took the driver to the Small Claims Court, and because of the nature of the claim it was heard by an adjudicator.

To say that I was gob-smacked when he ruled my daughter was one third to blame is an understatement.

To add insult to injury, I had to pay out more than I received, as the claim for damages to the other car was greater than my claim.

Quick Reply: Rear-ended at traffic lights