S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk - Non S2000 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/)
-   -   Rear-ended at traffic lights (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/rear-ended-traffic-lights-738215/)

m1bjr 10-21-2009 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by LadyB,Oct 21 2009, 08:28 PM
Comprise is a good word to use in negotiations

Compromise is even better.

:LOL:

Shiskine 10-21-2009 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Oct 21 2009, 09:18 PM
Compromise is even better.

:LOL:

I was going to point that out but I'm too polite. After all, she was trying to help ... :D

phil121081 10-22-2009 12:03 AM

unlucky fella. My folks keep (kept) an old Fiesta (we are talking 94L) for general trotting around locally (mum has horse, so was a rolling minure pile)....anyway was parked outside there house on a queit street when one evening they woke to a loud bang and skid...dad looked out the window and car not parked where he left it?!?! some clown has rear ended it (parked on right hand side of road - go figure??) and shunted it 50 yards up the road intoa lamp post....dad ran out, lad fell asleep at the wheel apparently...was ok, but car trasjed.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, his insurance offered £100 for total loss (prob fair value to be honest) but when assessor came, dad told him how he couldn't replace it for that money bla bla bla and ended up with a £500 settlement!!! he was chuffed to bits.

Incidentally, old fiestas dont stand up well to rear enders....

nobody hurt tho, which is the main thing...bet the dude pretty hacked off about his GTI tho....

Shiskine 10-23-2009 02:41 AM

Result ... :woohoo:

Just been offered a figure that's only £800 less than I paid for the car back in March 2007.

Now to get another set of wheels. I'll be starting another thread soon about "regular" £3k beaters versus 20 year old Mercs ... ;)

Fieldl 10-23-2009 09:32 AM

Not sure whats going on at DL but they seem to have got with the program they wouldn't negotiate on the other either as they knew it was good. Certainly endeared me to then and they got my business again. So it works.

Shiskine 10-23-2009 09:38 AM

It does promote loyalty as you say ...

martin j 10-25-2009 05:53 AM

I recently was paid out for a write off, got a great offer-lots more than I paid for it- and later got anther cheque to cover my excess, wow a bonus payment.
I did claim claim for my whiplash injury, and just banked the cheque for that the other day, christmas is paid for.

nickrg3 10-25-2009 08:34 AM

thats a nice result.. :thumbup:

talking of accidents my wife once ended up in court since she was sat behind a landrover which suddenly reversed into her. Handbrake on, pretty messy. Landrover driver never admitted to reversing and claimed my wife drove into her.

Insurance got solicitors involved and it ended up in court.

Judge took my wifes word for it.

This was many years ago. Wonder if they would rely on ECU data nowadays for disputes?

CHIPPO 10-26-2009 10:58 AM

Dont accept the first offer still reject it , you might just get a bit more yet.

A faint heart never won anything, go for it "He who dares wins" and all of that lark..

Shiskine 10-28-2009 05:45 AM

The insurance company's garage has just sent me the Alfa's tax disc in the post. I'd only just taxed it in August so it runs until 31/08/10.

Can I get a refund of the unexpired portion? I'll check the DVLA website but can anyone give me a quick idea of what's involved?

EDIT: Pretty straightforward procedure per DVLA website. I've downloaded and printed the form I need to send off with the tax disc ...