Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Recent Sprints

Old 06-18-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=MBK,Jun 18 2009, 06:27 PM]Thanks for info on the logger and ecu interface Matt - I have looked at that one a few times so after seeing your vids that is the one I will go for.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:53 PM
MBK

Thanks Matt, that's great. I feel like this is the right step for me, I like the idea of friendly competition and the R26R is pretty much ready as it is. I have done the trackday thing long enough now and yet full on racing is a step too far for me. I know you ultimately get less tracktime but I imagine the competitive element makes up for that.

I can get most of the requirements sorted easily enough, would be useful to find a club though as you suggest. I'm based in South Wales near Swansea.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:10 PM

BARC Wales organise events at Pembrey and Llandow. I met a bunch of friendly people at the sprint at Pembrey. http://www.barc.net/regional_centres/wales/index.php

Swansea organise the Lys-Y-Fran hillclimb - http://www.swanmoco.co.uk/info3.htm . I was talking to another guy on you tube in an S2000 who might be at the Lys-Y-Fran hillclimb.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 PM
MBK

Thanks I will get in touch with them and, finally, give it a go.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:00 AM

Just watching your Lydden sprint again Mr Kartaphilos; very impressive on-the-limit car control but then it got me thinking when looking closer.

Are you running R888's? Reason I ask is that you are clearly having a lot of oversteer and a very pointy car so I'm wondering if you've intentionally set the balance this way? It looks fun and shows your skills as a wheelman but I can't help but wonder how much time you are either gaining or losing with your setup.

Looking at your turn-in speed at North Bend for example; You tip it in at around 40mph @ 8krpm and deal superbly with a huge oversteer moment. The track surface looks to be dry and I believe you run semi-slick rubber?

So the question is; Is this your Geo setup, or is it simply the rears being overwhelmed at a ferocious 8krpm.

Even a lowish speed, low throttle slowing down at the end through North bend you have an oversteer moment. I'd have thought the R888 would give better rear traction if your car is setup right.

I'm not criticising btw; you most certainly know better than I by a long ways Just curious.

JD mentions you've done your own geo by eye?

Top stuff anyway Mr Kartaphilos, keep them coming as you do them.

[EDIT]
AHHHhhhhh; Just read this..

'A tough sprint as the regs allow track day tyres for road going classes but I run on standard road tyres for my championships.'

Note to self..
MUST READ ALL POSTS PROPERLY IN FUTURE
Old 06-21-2009, 02:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MBK,Jun 19 2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks I will get in touch with them and, finally, give it a go.
Mark, the older gent - Adrian - with the S2000 we chatted to at Keevil does a fair bit of hillclimb too.
His forum name here is cornpot.
He did say in a recent thread he was off to compete at Gurston yesterday and I was going along but dodnt get there.
However I had too much to do at home like polish the Meg

http://www.gurstondown.org/

Lots of info, looks fun.
Funny you mentioned this really, I came across this thread after thinking on what Adran was telling me

PS - R26R would muller a lot of things in class at Lyddon I reckon.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved the vids: great work

R
Old 06-21-2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by OldDogmeat,Jun 20 2009, 09:00 AM
Are you running R888's? Reason I ask is that you are clearly having a lot of oversteer and a very pointy car so I'm wondering if you've intentionally set the balance this way? It looks fun and shows your skills as a wheelman but I can't help but wonder how much time you are either gaining or losing with your setup.
Thanks for the detailed comments. On the tyres I run RE050A's at the rear and at the moment T-1R's at the front but will try some 50's when they wear out.

The setup is wrong at the moment (only set up by eye as I didn't have time for a proper geo). There is a bit of positive camber on the left rear that's a big part of the reason for slides on right handers. I've put a standard hub on with no roll center adjuster and even with the camber adjuster all the way out it isn't enough. I think the adjusting guides have been moved. However, when it is properly setup it still seems a bit pointy.

Overall I think I'm losing out a bit on setup and driving style as slides kill time!

Matt