S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk - Non S2000 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/)
-   -   Recommend me a new / next car (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/recommend-me-new-next-car-1161536/)

GarethB 09-19-2016 12:37 AM

Recommend me a new / next car

I've been offered a new job and as a result it looks like I'll need a new car.

If you opt out of the co. car policy the car has to be less than 4 years old as well as the usual co. car type of rules
- 4 doors
- 4/5 seats
- hard top
- secure boot (and large enough for some stock etc)

Now the only rule my current car doesn't fit is the 4yr rule. It's a 2008 Saab 9-3 Turbo X, which I'd thought about replacing but this kind of forces the issue.
It could be worse, if I opted to take a company car it would also have to be
- diesel
- less than 130g CO2

Which actually rules out the zero emission Tesla, go figure!

Anyway, in addition to the above list I would also add:
- interior suitable for two child seats - an isofix base with rear facing seat won't go behind the driver seat in my current car, so smaller isn't an option
- an estate is possible but not an absolute

I had considered some of the following
- Audi RS6 and S6 - both outside of budget at that age
- C63 / E63 AMG - as above
- Vauxhall VXR8 - amazingly, as above also
- Jaguar XFR - close but not quite

I'd prefer to go to a main dealer, I know that means I'll pay more but it also means a PCP option is possible meaning I can reduce the monthly payments and change after 2 years or so. My mileage won't be that high as the job is in export, and I'll be home based so I reckon around 10,000 per year, again keeping the PCP cost down.
I'd consider a lease but don't want to be tied in to a 3 year / 4 year agreement

All things considered (and based on a Land Rover finance example, this sets my budget at around £25k

As I can't afford an RS6 I am tempted by some of the other A6 to just be a regular person and have a "nice" car that does everything and is a nice place to be.
But given the criteria I think I'd be looking at 2wd 2l oil burners rather than the 3l and that would feel like a compromise too far.

Oh yes and as the rule is up to 4 years old, I'm looking at 2014 cars so I'm not forced to replace in 1 year.
I think that covers everything.

Nottm_S2 09-19-2016 01:22 AM

While i like spending other peoples money your requirements have stumped me. Cant you buy Forest off fatspazz instead and sort out the mess?

Hth

GarethB 09-19-2016 01:39 AM

You know what, if I'd won a couple of hundred mill on euromillions that would've been stage 1 of the plan.
Stage two is get the right people in place to do all the day to day running of the club for me then sit back and have feel-good PR ideas (such as the Peter Taylor stand, or the fans game*)

*I actually played in that, set up a couple and scored with the final kick of the game. At the trent end. I retired from football there and then, tears in my eyes and never been more proud. My mum, wife and son were all there. Just wish my dad had seen it. It's available on youtube I think. The commentary includes the words I'll never forget, "it's a delicious ball from Banton" to set up one of the goals.

Anyway, I digress.

DCC 09-19-2016 02:13 AM

I do so enjoy these threads. I've spent so much virtual money on some of the suggestions.

The only thing that I can think of that fits the rules and isn't a VAG is an Alfa Giulietta. It'll look pretty and their diesels are actually pretty punchy. And given its a co. car, maintenance and repairs aren't an issue!

GarethB 09-19-2016 02:18 AM

I knew I'd make it too complicated.

The diesel / 130g bit is if I was taking the company car. I'm not.
The only rules I have to abide by are

- less than 4 years old
- 4/5 doors
- 4/5 seats
- hard top
- secure boot (and large enough for some stock etc)

While I like the look of the Giulietta I think it would be too small for my purposes.
Having had a similarly sized BMW135i (which we swapped as it was only 2 door) I don't think two car seats + associated baby gubbins would fit in a Giulietta / Golf sized car

I was looking at Focus ST estates (plus Mountune) but they look a bit.... well.... Ford inside, ie not premium enough.

GarethB 09-19-2016 02:19 AM

Having had a loony Passat in the past (W8) I'd looked at the R36 Passat and CC, but they're also too old.

This is very tricky.

chilled 09-19-2016 02:48 AM

Some kind of Lexus?

Nottm_S2 09-19-2016 02:50 AM

Subaru WRX STI?
300bhp

330D?

cheshire_carper 09-19-2016 02:55 AM

Cheap golf R on lease. That's about as lean as you will get for something half decent.

Keep your eye on the PH lease thread.

s2k4tony 09-19-2016 02:59 AM

Merc E class are pretty well spec'd whether its Petrol or Dirty D. Big boot, roomy and just has that class interior finish that leaves BMW behind of similar years. Go for an AMG option that has the toys, and the better re-sale value.
The Germans have the economy thing down to a T compared to the wider market, if you're searching for Petrol.

s2k4tony 09-19-2016 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper (Post 24064817)
Cheap golf R on lease. That's about as lean as you will get for something half decent.

I have....
c.£250 @ vehiclesavers is currently the cheapest for my pocket (8k miles, 2 year). Poverty spec, poverty colour.

GarethB 09-19-2016 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by s2k4tony (Post 24064821)

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper' timestamp='1474282525' post='24064817

I have....
c.£250 @ vehiclesavers is currently the cheapest for my pocket (8k miles, 2 year). Poverty spec, poverty colour.

And it's distinctly Golf-sized :)

s2konroids 09-19-2016 03:35 AM

525d m sport

unclefester 09-19-2016 03:37 AM

2 year old Jag XJ?

phil121081 09-19-2016 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by GarethB (Post 24064828)

Originally Posted by s2k4tony' timestamp='1474282869' post='24064821
[quote name='cheshire_carper' timestamp='1474282525' post='24064817']

I have....

[/quote]

nowt wrong with poverty spec... ;)

I have 2 little'uns and they fit in the back with ease, just like any other small / med car really. We have a baby seat and a toddler seat, plenty of leg room.

I was surprised to get 10 replies down your thread before the Golf R lease option popped up ;)

cheshire_carper 09-19-2016 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by GarethB (Post 24064828)

Originally Posted by s2k4tony' timestamp='1474282869' post='24064821
[quote name='cheshire_carper' timestamp='1474282525' post='24064817']

I have....

[/quote]

The estate is errrrr estate sized. Unless you plan on knocking another 3 out, you have enough space.

As to poverty spec, that's why I say keep your eye on the pH lease thread. Fully loaded golf R estate, 205 a month. I doubt youll beat pound/punch. Trust me, I've looked. In a similar company car vs private position.

SuperHamz 09-19-2016 05:16 AM

Honda Civic Type-R seems to fit the requirements :tipwink:

- 4 doors - check
- 4/5 seats - check
- hard top - check
- secure boot (and large enough for some stock etc) - check

GarethB 09-19-2016 05:59 AM

How many times, a Golf isn't big enough. ;)
We have company Golfs here and I really don't think they aren't big enough for my needs.

I test drive a Type R, I'm sure it'd be a hoot to own as a second car but not as my only car. And there's a new one coming very soon.
Potentially same size issue as a Golf too.

GarethB 09-19-2016 06:02 AM

Sorry Chesh just to clarify it's the interior space I'm concerned about with Golf-sized cars
Yesterday in my Saab my son was pushing and kicking my seat. He's 19 months old. If we out the isofix base for my daughter's seat behind me I'd have to push the seat 6 inches further forward which would mean I couldn't get my knees in tondrive.

I appreciate an estate (or a decent hatch) has enough luggage space it's the rear leg room they're missing.

Nottm_S2 09-19-2016 06:49 AM

I can see that having had a Golf & child at the same time. My lad fits in the 3er coupe but at 4 he can also kick my seat if he tries

But he has room enough. I agree a 5er might make life easier. We have a qashqai, maybe this suits? http://www.topgear.com/car-news/modi...qai-hit-222mph

cheshire_carper 09-19-2016 08:43 AM

It sounds like you might need a stretched limo.

And it also sounds like you will need to spend more cash. Good luck on your hunt.

chilled 09-20-2016 05:04 AM

Do they still make the skoda superb?

phil121081 09-20-2016 06:28 AM

S3 is a good lease deal at the moment, £300 pcm on a 3+23

will consider when our golf goes back.

the Golf R deals are long gone it seems, I hope they come back in 9 months. ;)

mikey k 09-20-2016 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper (Post 24065048)
It sounds like you might need a stretched limo.

And it also sounds like you will need to spend more cash. Good luck on your hunt.

Sorry for the hijack guys
Chesh I can't send you a message for some reason :(
I'd like to talk to you about your S4
Get in touch please!

cheshire_carper 09-20-2016 06:08 PM

Hi Mikey

Pmd you my email address

s2k4tony 09-20-2016 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by phil121081 (Post 24065772)
S3 is a good lease deal at the moment, £300 pcm on a 3+23

will consider when our golf goes back.

the Golf R deals are long gone it seems, I hope they come back in 9 months. ;)

S3 is just that bit too steep for me, considering it's the same car. Although I've read from many driven reviews that compared to the Golf, it suffers an ever more numb steering feel - something the S3 has suffered all it's 17 year life. Nice interior - but ultimately you just pay for the badge.
I will be bending Seat's ear in a few months myself about the Cupra 290 - worth a look at under £200 a month (some deals are bonkers). Essentially the same engine minus 10bhp & 4wd, and a half second slower on the 0-60 drag. It is supposed to be pretty chuckable, even for FWD. I'll have to go out in one and report back what the findings are as that car is ultimate poverty spec performance for the money (for a new quickish hatch). Not so sure I can get past it's looks, so in the flesh and behind the wheel is paramount.

phil121081 09-21-2016 02:38 AM

I did see those around and had similar thoughts, great value for money, but not sure on the looks.

what a tart I am.

I'd have the S3 at £20 a month more than the golf. These are all based on 3+23 as I've no intention of laying down 6/9 months upfront.

s2k4tony 09-21-2016 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by phil121081 (Post 24066670)
I did see those around and had similar thoughts, great value for money, but not sure on the looks.

what a tart I am.

I'd have the S3 at £20 a month more than the golf. These are all based on 3+23 as I've no intention of laying down 6/9 months upfront.

Saloon guise looks strangely tempting as well. Smart and exec looking - still with those ridiculous 4 pipes chundering out the back.

The Leon Cupra has a Sport tourer (estate) option, which is cheaper still. OP should have a gander, great value.

I even have checked out the S1 - 4wd supermini with the Golf GTI engine (231PS) capable of mid 5's to 60 (still with 4 ship funnels poking out the bumper). One of Audi's best packages in the lower end performance sector, which is unusual these days. But too small for many (and perhaps a bit girly). £250 a month is what I'm seeing on Personal Lease.

It'll be useful to time waste a few salesmen nearer Dec/Jan and trawl the badges, get some drives.

OP - did Merc E class not take your fancy?

phil121081 09-21-2016 03:00 AM

where are you seeing these Seat deals? I can't find those deals from my usual 'go-to' sites.

estate is a near must for next car as the wife wants a dog and my only condition is that it's a real dog, not a pooch to sit on ones lap!

settled on a hungarian vizla ;)

Jonesybubs 09-21-2016 03:12 AM

430i or 435i Grand Coupe maybe the Diseaseal version
will tick all the boxes and a bloody lovely car to drive.
boot is massive and you can happily seat 5 people

s2k4tony 09-21-2016 03:27 AM

For a starter Phil, Parkers lease tend to show all pricing across the board. But it's not the complete holy grail.

Play off Parkers against the Manufacturer direct, can result in deal match/beaten I guess. Especially on the greedy admin fee, which is just basically fat commission. I got my admin fee waived for the GTD, because the company (carleasingonline) told porkies about the order/colour/delivery date.

If commissions can be scalped off, you can get a good deal like chesh says. The SEAT cannot be ignored - I need to stand in front of one, especially in Estate guise.

s2konroids 09-21-2016 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by chilled (Post 24065674)
Do they still make the skoda superb?

Yes they do and they are not bad esp with 4wd just a little sluggish.

Nottm_S2 09-21-2016 03:57 AM

FWD is for bummers and commuters
I think Jesus said that, possibly his dad. Whoever, it is bang on

A bloke at work has an S1 and says it is dull. It looks shit, like a badly drawn Noddy coupe. Anyone who buys an audi aside from an R8 is doing so not because they like driving imo

A seat estate with 300bhp and fwd is not a petrolhead choice either, surely? I spose chucking it down a b road it'd be more fun than an aRSe12 or whatever

phil121081 09-21-2016 04:06 AM

I hear you, but if you need (want) a family hatch / estate and want to lease for the ease / convenience on a budget of circa 250-300, what options do you have.

it's the best of a bad deal really.

when the kids grow up and take me out for dinner, I'll rock up in my F-type (or whatever i fancy between now and then). ;)

My (childless) friend just picked up an E90 M3 on the weekend and I'm going with my father in law to collect a CL63 tomorrow... :(

I know what I am missing out on, but at this time in my life it's just how it is (skint and sleep deprived). ;)

s2k4tony 09-21-2016 04:30 AM

These latest cars sitting on the MQB plank are all about being dual purpose - performance & economy. They are great value. The Seat has supposed better handling, proven on track and is the faster thing overall than a Golf R. Not that it matters on the road that much. The Golf will outdrag it.
FWD can be a perfect petrolhead choice, depends if you like hot hatches or not. Take a look at a Clio Trophy, for instance. In fairness ,it would p*ss all over most faster, larger displacement cars (maybe even yours included Nott) for outright laughs yet being 10 years old now - due to those fancy racing dampers.
RWD is great, we all love it. But often now trumped with LOOS from the better front drivers out there.

Maybe not wise to have your lease car sideways... ah well!

phil121081 09-21-2016 04:47 AM

none of these would be my choice of car, but for my circumstances, ticks more boxes than anything else ;)

that's the bottom line really, everyone's circumstances differ and there is invariably a car out there that suits most. I don't anyone can say their car does 100% of what you want 100% of the time. ;)

back on topic, Merc have some good deal on C classes if you want new / lease, scratch the A / GLA as they are TINY in the back seats even compared to a golf!

Nick Graves 09-21-2016 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2 (Post 24066695)
FWD is for bummers and commuters
I think Jesus said that, possibly his dad. Whoever, it is bang on

A bloke at work has an S1 and says it is dull. It looks shit, like a badly drawn Noddy coupe. Anyone who buys an audi aside from an R8 is doing so because they like tailgating imo

A seat estate with 300bhp and fwd is not a petrolhead choice either, surely? I spose chucking it down a b road it'd be more fun than an aRSe12 or whatever

EFA

s2k4tony 09-21-2016 04:51 AM

I do love the Merc quality - it's right up there. Get one with an extended warranty and they are a delightful wafter!

Nottm_S2 09-21-2016 06:37 AM

Mercs are muthafukkin PIMP imho
I prefered the dour BM interior back when i last looked.

I know what you are saying Phil, the Golf is a good/great deal at £250pcm or whatever if you need new or indeed even if you dont.

A clio has 180bhp through the fronts vs 290 and a shitload of torque inducing wheelspin for that Seat, the suspension would need to be pretty amazing for that not to be an issue. The ole BM can oversteer like a pro so i doubt the clio fun claim. Plus it would break down.

A lot.

That Alfa off the ring vid is perfect, stretch the budget ;)

jml 09-21-2016 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2 (Post 24066801)

I know what you are saying Phil, the Golf is a good/great deal at £250pcm or whatever if you need new or indeed even if you dont.

A clio has 180bhp through the fronts vs 290 and a shitload of torque inducing wheelspin for that Seat, the suspension would need to be pretty amazing for that not to be an issue. The ole BM can oversteer like a pro so i doubt the clio fun claim. Plus it would break down.

A lot.

Somehow i do get the impression you don't like french cars and French in general... :rolleyes:

unclefester 09-21-2016 07:58 AM

Something about cheese and monkeys + a hint of garlic i suspect.

s2k4tony 09-21-2016 02:36 PM

I'll be provoking the Seat when I get a stint. I've read that torque steer is non existent but we'll see.

The 55 reg Trophy is an all time great, on long twisty sections you won't get away from one, not a chance. And in fact one of Renault's better reliable cars. Just a shame it's so small.

Definitely a car to buy for the future, only 525 ever made.

Nottm_S2 09-21-2016 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by jml (Post 24066894)

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2' timestamp='1474468630' post='24066801

A lot.

Somehow i do get the impression you don't like french cars and French in general... :rolleyes:

You always accuse me of that :)

Renault Clios are great hot hatches but build quality is very low ime. A mate had a dealer serviced one which smoked on startup at sub 50k and wouldnt start at all in the rain

jml 09-22-2016 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2 (Post 24067197)

Originally Posted by jml' timestamp='1474473256' post='24066894
[quote name='Nottm_S2' timestamp='1474468630' post='24066801']

A lot.

Renault Clios are great hot hatches but build quality is very low ime. A mate had a dealer serviced one which smoked on startup at sub 50k and wouldnt start at all in the rain
[/quote]

Guess we all have mates like that. :confused:
As i'm in France right now i'm surrounded by that "French rubbish". Haven't heard any complaints yet.

phil121081 09-22-2016 12:38 AM

M140 a steal at the moment... hope this offer is around in 9 months

bonkers

a pint of beer over £300 on a 3+23

Nottm_S2 09-22-2016 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by jml (Post 24067383)

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2' timestamp='1474498015' post='24067197
[quote name='jml' timestamp='1474473256' post='24066894']
[quote name='Nottm_S2' timestamp='1474468630' post='24066801']

A lot.

[/quote]

Guess we all have mates like that. :confused:
As i'm in France right now i'm surrounded by that "French rubbish". Haven't heard any complaints yet.
[/quote]

You're putting words into my mouth. I like the old clio but its not a paragon of reliability or indeed build quality.

I had a citroen years ago, that was very fragile.

s2k4tony 09-22-2016 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by phil121081 (Post 24067385)
M140 a steal at the moment... hope this offer is around in 9 months

bonkers

a pint of beer over £300 on a 3+23

The £360 admin fee takes the p*ss. But not a bad shout in fairness. Plus, BMW are shoving these out on another PCP as well, direct from the dealer. £2 grand down,they throw in £7k, £299 pcm, balloon at the end.... and that's for a 4 year finance relationship.

http://www.halliwelljoneswarringtonb...-sports-hatch/

razzele 09-22-2016 03:34 AM

The new BMW 3.0 turbo engine is an absolute beast and amazingly efficient!

If you add a Decat and JB4 tuning gadget (brilliant) you have genuinely mind boggling acceleration for not a lot of gold!

GarethB 09-22-2016 05:36 AM

So my list of possibilities has become:

Road test have a poke around in:
- Skoda Octavia VRs
- Golf R Estate
- Cupra FR
Interior (not necessarily boot) space will be a major factor. I'm also slightly wary of the front when drive options there.

Discounted
Focus ST - just a bit too naff inside
E Class Merc - out of budget

Hanging on but effectively discounted
- S6 / RS6 - out of budget
- C63 - ditto

Something I hadn' t considered previously but now looking very likely
- BMW 335i Touring - rare as hens teeth but in budget. Went to my local dealer and there were line upon line of 320/ 520d etc but no petrols in the network. Currently 2 335 on sale in BMW network nationally.

phil121081 09-23-2016 05:21 AM

Cheap C-Class deal...

https://www.vehiclesavers.com/car-le...0d-se-4dr.html

not very exciting, but a nice place to be I am sure.

estate, or CLA estate for £10 a month more, circa £260 on 3+23

Nick Graves 09-23-2016 07:04 AM

C-Class 1.6L for those too damned poor to afford a Golf GTD/R or Cupra CupRA type thing.

What a fucked-up marketplace this has become; I'm sooo rich I can afford to lease a Honda Civic...whoopee do!

s2k4tony 09-23-2016 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves (Post 24068385)
C-Class 1.6L for those too damned poor to afford a Golf GTD/R or Cupra CupRA type thing.

What a fucked-up marketplace this has become; I'm sooo rich I can afford to lease a Honda Civic...whoopee do!

Interest rates are low, people have money. Yes, even us peasants from up North that live in cobbled streets and don't wash can get into a 30k car.
Get over it Nick!

GarethB 09-23-2016 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by phil121081 (Post 24068299)
Cheap C-Class deal...

https://www.vehiclesavers.com/car-le...0d-se-4dr.html

not very exciting, but a nice place to be I am sure.

estate, or CLA estate for £10 a month more, circa £260 on 3+23

A c class diesel though. No thanks.

Nick Graves 09-23-2016 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by s2k4tony (Post 24068619)

Originally Posted by Nick Graves' timestamp='1474643087' post='24068385

Interest rates are low, people have money. Yes, even us peasants from up North that live in cobbled streets and don't wash can get into a 30k car.
Get over it Nick!

Missing the point somewhat - it's these fraudulent lease rates that will end in a bubble bursting at some point. They are toxic investments.

By all means - get on the German Prestige :rofl: bandwagen while it lasts...

Nottm_S2 09-23-2016 11:06 PM

Isnt it just that RRP prices are inflated so they can pull this off?

Noone buys cash anymore. I dont even buy haha

s2k4tony 09-25-2016 09:36 AM

See.. in the old days, people got a bad deal. In these ever changing times of compare sites, Martin Lewis and anything to ensure the customer doesn't get screwed over... it sparks competition. The fashionable marque's have now had to get cheaper. Years ago, a bmw or merc would have been SO unaffordable to buy. Or lease. At least it was when I was selling cars 13 years ago. Add in the VW fiasco, money rates, God knows how many other factors = today: 30k cars are suddenly affordable.

I'm not missing any point. Know what? Honda's are not that great right now - as "family cars" with added performance. I certainly don't see the Type R as that. Plus it's ugly and dearer to rent. The customer is left with the remaining few cars discussed. And if you have 2 or 3 hundred you can spare a month, nothing wrong with these tempting lease deals at all. I've just been to Halliwell BMW today and sat in their remaining sold metallic grey M140i. Bloody lovely thing. 8speed box. 40mpg, cheap tax for what it is. Gets to 60 in 4.6.
It's one ticked off the list but unlikely I'll get a test drive in one.
Next week it will be SEAT for their Cupra Leon, then Audi for an S model, then Mercedes-Benz for their C class.
I don't care a hoot if it's a bubble. As long as my monthly doesnt increase. I'd rather be in a German prestige that farting about in a beige 20 year old jap sh*tt*r... wouldn't you?

Nottm_S2 09-26-2016 12:56 AM

you do get emotive about these things Tone

That 140i is £299.99 per month & £2,000 on a 4yr commitment. or £16k in the cold light of day

that'll more than cover the depreciation probably, assuming you couldn't cut a deal on one new for cash. ok they might stiff you for the knocks a 4yr old car will no doubt have picked up..

so that money could buy you a lot of 20 year old jap snotter. I just bought a SC one for a lot less £, that BM probably wouldn't know which way it went ;)

but i can't draw letters on the idrive in my snotter i guess :D

as for prestige, i think the golf (R) probably has the better interior

jml 09-26-2016 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2 (Post 24069887)

That 140i is £299.99 per month & £2,000 on a 4yr commitment. or £16k in the cold light of day

that'll more than cover the depreciation probably, assuming you couldn't cut a deal on one new for cash. ok they might stiff you for the knocks a 4yr old car will no doubt have picked up..

so that money could buy you a lot of 20 year old jap snotter. I just bought a SC one for a lot less £, that BM probably wouldn't know which way it went ;)

Amen.

Sometimes - nah always - it pays to do the sums. :scratch:

s2k4tony 09-26-2016 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2 (Post 24069887)

That's me!! :LOL:

In fairness, the Beemer is big money for a rental cart. You have to not be ar$ed about ever owning it, to consider monthly's.

I will have a hole in my finances to fill it next Spring, so it's doable. I was considering sacking off the whole lease thing a few months ago and was searching high and low for a good history Indy yellow S2k. My options are not limited - but when these German trolleys got so cheap recently, it's certainly pricked one's ears. They have to be considered.

The mk7 Golf is slightly roomier inside, as will be the Leon I suspect. The 4yr deal on the 140i though, on reflection, I would ignore. I'd prefer the 2 year route on Lease instead, if I went ahead. Depends on delivery times too, I suspect they will be months.

If the other marques are better value as a whole package, the BM will be totally ignored. I suspect the Leon will take some beating. And the R.

Like others, the Ford's are cheap and nasty inside, so are the GM's.

Nottm_S2 09-26-2016 09:44 AM

Seats used to be shit inside too, not been in one, they look a bit dull but are supposed to be good for what they are. the BM appeals more because of rwd.

but as you say they've dropped the price by extending the length of the deal. i'd baulk at 24 months never mind 48 :)

s2k4tony 09-26-2016 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2 (Post 24070227)
Seats used to be shit inside too, not been in one, they look a bit dull but are supposed to be good for what they are. the BM appeals more because of rwd.

but as you say they've dropped the price by extending the length of the deal. i'd baulk at 24 months never mind 48 :)

The 1er is supposed to be changing to FWD next year.... WTF!! :eek:
I understand the X drive versions are pretty decent, albeit carrying the weight. But have awesome traction like the R.

I did like the interior on the 140i, chunky controls. Felt compact, nice surrounding switchgear and screen on the dash. Its a dilemma!

phil121081 09-27-2016 02:10 AM

Vehicle Savers have the 140 at 8k over 24 months (£306) on a 3+23 so same rate as the 4yr if you want 2 years.

I like 2 years as never have to buy a tyre either ;) I can eek out about 15k miles on a set usually, although the Golf is looking like it could be touch and go, funny that, the CRV had tonnes of tread left when we gave it back ;)

The Leon ST at £230 odd on a 3+23 looks very tempting as a cheap family / dog wagon that can be a bit of fun when circumstances permit.

Or it's the C220d estate that will never be fun, but probably quite 'nice'. I don't care what the neighbours think, the 60 year old next door loves the golf and just bought his wife a new VXR Corsa ;)

Unless circumstances change, the Leon or hopefully a Golf estate will be up next.

Funny, I too looked at getting out to the lease and finding circa 10k for a used and really couldn't think of anything suitable with running costs / risks that appealed. I think you're better off at the lower end, £2k budget and run it till it anything breaks and then cut your losses.

Nick Graves 09-27-2016 03:01 AM

If Deutsche Bank shits itself (57T in derivatives) then it'll be interesting how they unwind the mess.

Still, as long as something has chunky controls, it must be good.

phil121081 09-27-2016 04:17 AM

I don't think anyone is suggesting it makes financial sense Nick, just making hay whilst the sun shines...

at £250ish a month with no commitment to buy the toxic asset, it's pretty cheap motoring really, the business model behind it has no impact on the leasee.

I don't think its massively dissimilar to the corporate market of 10 years ago, only now it's available to joe bloggs in the street who can effectively get a personal deal on the same terms that companies used to arrange on mass orders. The brokers essentially pick up the volume.

If you are happy to rent, it's never been cheaper and that can only be a good thing for the punter.

s2k4tony 09-27-2016 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by phil121081 (Post 24070753)
Vehicle Savers have the 140 at 8k over 24 months (£306) on a 3+23 so same rate as the 4yr if you want 2 years.

I like 2 years as never have to buy a tyre either ;) I can eek out about 15k miles on a set usually, although the Golf is looking like it could be touch and go, funny that, the CRV had tonnes of tread left when we gave it back ;)

The Leon ST at £230 odd on a 3+23 looks very tempting as a cheap family / dog wagon that can be a bit of fun when circumstances permit.

Or it's the C220d estate that will never be fun, but probably quite 'nice'. I don't care what the neighbours think, the 60 year old next door loves the golf and just bought his wife a new VXR Corsa ;)

Unless circumstances change, the Leon or hopefully a Golf estate will be up next.

Funny, I too looked at getting out to the lease and finding circa 10k for a used and really couldn't think of anything suitable with running costs / risks that appealed. I think you're better off at the lower end, £2k budget and run it till it anything breaks and then cut your losses.

Done exactly 12k in the GTD : front tyres hmm... The Bridgestone's still have life in them, but I've not measured the tread depth to be worried enough yet. I suspect I will have to buy some new fronts before handback, and also service it. £300 down then! There isn't a scratch on the thing (so far). I will ring ALD and ask what tyres they want on it (for instance, could I stick cheaper Mediums on it, or do they have to be Bridgestones?). If it's the latter, I have a family friend that offers tyres at cost so it's not too bad. I could swap the backs to the front now I suppose - I'll check my terms & conditions tonight and see what's what on handback.

I suspect the Cupra will be a right laugh for a front driver. Equipment is a pain as it lacks reversing sensors which were free on the GTD (optional on Cupra) but comes with Nav (which I never need), & only comes in Red as poverty spec. Arranged a test drive for Sunday morning :-)

phil121081 09-27-2016 05:55 AM

Yeti 1.2 TSI DSG on 3+23 at £130 a month.

that would make a good dog wagon with a free holiday each year to boot.

AndyNFRS2k 09-27-2016 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by s2k4tony (Post 24070804)
only comes in Red as poverty spec.

You can get in other colours though :suspect:

s2k4tony 09-27-2016 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by AndyNFRS2k (Post 24070877)

Originally Posted by s2k4tony' timestamp='1474979146' post='24070804
only comes in Red as poverty spec.

You can get in other colours though :suspect:

:thumbup:
Pushes up the monthly though (£500 option), which i'd rather not. Colour I guess is irrelevant, I'd stick with Red.

The only colour i'd pay for, 'cos it looks so good... is Lapiz on the R

AndyNFRS2k 09-27-2016 07:12 AM

So are other colour paints more expensive? :scratch:

Do they pay the sprayer £500 more? :scratch:

On the delivery trucks, are they all one colour? :scratch:

A mate of mine has just got a new Fiat 500 for his daughter. Fiat said he could only have white for the deal on offer. They wanted £600 more for another colour. He asked the above questions, they couldn't answer, so they let him have any colour he wanted for no extra :LOL:

s2k4tony 09-27-2016 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by AndyNFRS2k (Post 24070913)

A mate of mine has just got a new Fiat 500 for his daughter. Fiat said he could only have white for the deal on offer. They wanted £600 more for another colour. He asked the above questions, they couldn't answer, so they let him have any colour he wanted for no extra :LOL:

Tends to be £25 a month more for any other colour than red :thumbup:
Pretty much the same on the Vee Dubs, except for Onyx White which is a pearlescent at nearly £1k!

smnasn 09-27-2016 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by s2k4tony (Post 24070804)
I suspect the Cupra will be a right laugh for a front driver. Equipment is a pain as it lacks reversing sensors which were free on the GTD (optional on Cupra) but comes with Nav (which I never need), & only comes in Red as poverty spec. Arranged a test drive for Sunday morning :-)

I test drove the Seat when I was looking and really liked it. Felt fast and the fancy diff works a treat, try booting it off a tight roundabout, feels like it is being sucked onto the tarmac, most impressive.

Went for an M135i in the end but it was definitely my second choice albeit Golf R wasn't really available for test drives at the time.

s2k4tony 09-27-2016 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by smnasn (Post 24070960)

Originally Posted by s2k4tony' timestamp='1474979146' post='24070804

I test drove the Seat when I was looking and really liked it. Felt fast and the fancy diff works a treat, try booting it off a tight roundabout, feels like it is being sucked onto the tarmac, most impressive.

Went for an M135i in the end but it was definitely my second choice albeit Golf R wasn't really available for test drives at the time.

I understand it's turn-in is eyebrow raising. Some say that's not fun. I used to enjoy crisp turn-in on my Accord Type R, also an LSD set-up. Hell, that was fun (except the overly long gearing wasn't!). Also good bit lighter than the R, some 80kgs or so. Driftable when the occasion allows, if you're brave enough and deserted roads etc.
It's the looks which i'm not so sure on. :scratch: Not ar$ed that the Cupra is meant to be faster on track/'Ring.

Looking forward to it - bearing in mind i'm running a pretty 184ps GTD - it's a bit of a step up from the soot chucker.

Nottm_S2 09-27-2016 10:37 AM

I'm suggesting it might make sense if the car is a £20k motor pretending its £30k

Buying doesnt seem worthwhile for these cars

But if you dont need new why bother lashing out £300 a month plus maintenance?

I'd rather have a Poley beater

s2k4tony 09-27-2016 02:21 PM

True.. point is valid.

I think I've done enough thread invasion now, sorry OP. Back on topic....

Nick Graves 09-28-2016 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by AndyNFRS2k (Post 24070913)

The good deals tend to be on a job-lot of pile 'em high junk-spec cars; matt white paint, homofocal headlights, four-pot van engine, that sort of thing in a so-called 'luxury' car. But with leather and big wheels to impress your less-educated friends. It's like the big-bodied Opels/Fords and M-Bs in what the Germans called 'bookkeeperspecification' (two-door body, zero options, solid paint) in the old days. Oh, you want a special order? You lose the loss-leader discount.

That's why these really 'special' deals (like the Loch Ness Monster Golf R deals) make really good sense - the standard car has all the gewgaws on it anyway, so you can live with the primer paint when it's less to rent that a TDS model.

BTW - I was taking advantage of all the 'below base rate' mortgage deals a decade ago - knowing full well that it would all go toxic someday. I did bear in mind that there was the remote possibility that it could have all gone horribly wrong. So it's important to go into these things without your eyes wide shut.