S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk - Non S2000 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/)
-   -   Recommend me a new / next car (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk-non-s2000-174/recommend-me-new-next-car-1161536/)

unclefester 11-08-2016 02:07 PM

Everything modern has issues - anyone buying anything like that with their eyes shut is asking for their pants to be yanked down. They are cheap because there is no second hand market, the people that 'buy' them new aren't buying with their own money. It's company cash or HP / PCP and they are then shifted out to the 2nd hand market where their value falls like lead in water.

Good deals to be had for a careful private owner - it's a lot of car for the money as long as it doesn't die.

gaddafi 11-09-2016 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester (Post 24100942)
That's true if you want to own a 60k / 150k car new. I don't. I can't imagine paying house money for a car.

That said, using Mikey and his Mclaren as an example, if you can afford to do it with no detriment to other finances why not but he's the exception, not the rule.

I think these 2008 Audi S5 4.2 FSI Quattro 3dr eBay are cracking value.

It may be the generational thing again although I suspect it's more to do with background but I cannot for the life of me envisage spending circa £100K on a new car.

£60K maybe, as long as it was something very special and a toy, but I'd still get more satisfaction from buying from the two year old, low mileage £100K toy for £60K.

Being able to really doesn't have anything to do with it.

I like the F-type but £90K for one? Never.

OTOH I can certainly envisage spending £150K on a dream classic or a two year old Macca (for example).

Although thinking about it I'd probably prefer to spend £50K on buying a classic in a mess and £50K fixing it so I'd know it was right.

There are a couple of £100K cars I quite fancy but neither is anywhere near new.

Other people will happily drop £100K on something new and accept the depreciation .

All power to them.

unclefester 11-09-2016 12:31 AM

An F Type in 3/4 years time will be a great buy - as long as the electronics haven't started to self destruct. 90k new, probably 20k to 25k by then. I suspect as you get older, your priorities change, if i had 200k spare kicking about, i'd buy another house outright and rent it out.

It's a complicated business picking a car, fun for one person is hell for another and that's before you add in motorbikes - owning one of those has changed my need for speed in a car permanently.

lovegroova 11-09-2016 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by m1bjr (Post 24100935)
Oh no!
I just saw your signature Simon - the S2K died at Spa :(
I remember you getting a bit slideways with me as PAX on the astroturf at Pouhon - back about 2009.
Such a shame. Sorry to hear that.
Steve

I'm afraid so, see here for the gory details https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...death-1156976/

Fortunately it's going to live on in Ray's care: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...egend-1162841/

I have a 15,000 mile '09 now.

cheshire_carper 11-09-2016 01:10 AM

If you like very niche brands and want something particular. It's all relative isn't it If you have a few quid and 60 isn't a killer, pointless looking at it in the bank. I'd think more at at 160 because what you obviously give to Mr car manuf , you don't have for Mr Plasterer or Mr gardener.

Definitely better buying used though , if what you want is out there.

gaddafi 11-09-2016 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper (Post 24101178)
If you like very niche brands and want something particular. It's all relative isn't it If you have a few quid and 60 isn't a killer, pointless looking at it in the bank. I'd think more at at 160 because what you obviously give to Mr car manuf , you don't have for Mr Plasterer or Mr gardener.

Definitely better buying used though , if what you want is out there.

I don't disagree with any of that.

My priorities have changed.

Cars are quite a long way down the list whereas they would once have been top three.

Actually, it may be that driving them is way down the list. As it clearly is yours...:p

I still enjoy owning them and fixing them up, buying and selling, etc.

And I still have quite a strong desire to own/drive things that are a bit different from the herd - hence one of only about 800 STRs, far fewer DD6s, etc.

But these can be enjoyed for peanuts. There is no need to spend anything like £60K for a great drive. £10K will buy some really nice stuff.

Beaters/other half cars are different. They make more sense to me as renters just not enough sense.

The supposed kudos of driving a new car is just hilarious. There are more new cars on a social housing estate a couple of miles from where I live than there are on 'my' private estate.

gaddafi 11-09-2016 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova (Post 24100885)
Speaking, like you, for myself, having read your STR thread, it occurred to me that you'd spent a lot of time fixing things up on it, and it looks like you enjoy doing so. I also concluded that I certainly couldn't be bothered to spend so much time mucking about with it. :LOL: Time is money after all.

I regard my lease payment as akin to a season ticket for public transport i.e. I pay a monthly amount for my transport. That could be equated to the depreciation on a new car purchase or time and money spent keeping an older car going (something with which I'm familiar from my old S2000).

You see, time is not money. Time is something very special that you cannot make. Money you can (see QE for evidence of that). Now try that with time...

If you have the talent, you can quintuple or more what you might earn as a full-time, salaried worker.

Then you have a choice - work full-time and earn five times as much, or earn what you earned before and work one day a week.

Most choose the former and burn out. I chose the latter and have lots of time .

When you have lots of time, why on earth would I want to use it up working, once my needs have been met?

But the time has to be used, unless you can stare into space eight hours a day.

I chose hobbies, meeting friends, new ventures, etc.

lovegroova 11-09-2016 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi (Post 24101188)
You see, time is not money. Time is something very special that you cannot make. Money you can (see QE for evidence of that). Now try that with time...

If you have the talent, you can quintuple or more what you might earn as a full-time, salaried worker.

Then you have a choice - work full-time and earn five times as much, or earn what you earned before and work one day a week.

Most choose the former and burn out. I chose the latter and have lots of time .

When you have lots of time, why on earth would I want to use it up working, once my needs have been met?

But the time has to be used, unless you can stare into space eight hours a day.

I chose hobbies, meeting friends, new ventures, etc.

It is to most people who are on a salary/wages, and it's why many of them choose a fixed payment for a car (as well as pretty much everything else).

As I say, if you enjoy mucking about fixing up old cars, then, that's fine, enjoy it. However for most people, it's anything but enjoyable. More especially when they have to rely on one car rather than a fleet.

gaddafi 11-09-2016 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova (Post 24101198)
It is to most people who are on a salary/wages, and it's why many of them choose a fixed payment for a car (as well as pretty much everything else).

As I say, if you enjoy mucking about fixing up old cars, then, that's fine, enjoy it. However for most people, it's anything but enjoyable. More especially when they have to rely on one car rather than a fleet.

People don't have to rent a new car under warranty every two years to get reliability. Don't Kia offer a seven year manufacturer's warranty? And cars (not 'old') cars are probably more reliable and low maintenance than ever

It's a good selling point put about by manufacturers and renter justifiers but it's not true

I get why people would want a new car, but need one? Do me a favour

Renting also seems to be part of the massive swing to monthly everything - mortgage, personal loan, car rental, mobile phone, TV, Netflix, furniture, VED, car insurance, home insurance, life assurance, etc, etc. That worries me for when borrowing conditions aren't quite so benign, and since monthly savings/investment seems to have been swapped for monthly car rent in some cases

Nick Graves 11-09-2016 03:19 AM

That's the QE effect again, though; the time value of money has been reduced to nothing, so salaried people probably prefer to spend it as they get it.

I can understand that, as there's no tomorrow anymore.

But I agree that there's little point in having a supercar if you cannot drive it anywhere any more, and that's probably why I'm less inclined to do so that I would have been in the 1980s, say.

That doesn't mean I'd never buy a new car - sometimes (S2000, 86, etc) it's the only way of getting what you want at the time. Then again, if you tend to be unbelievably picky/hypercritical, you tend to buy a very specific car and keep it for a very long time, so the depreciation tends to even out. For someone who must have the 'in' thing, an 18-month special rental deal probably makes far more sense.

BTW Pat; £60-£150 K IS car money - an excuse for a flat will cost you >£200K round these parts. Cf QE above! S2000/86 money is now chump change - the price of an overspecced BMW Maxi?

unclefester 11-09-2016 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves (Post 24101227)
BTW Pat; £60-£150 K IS car money - an excuse for a flat will cost you >£200K round these parts. Cf QE above! S2000/86 money is now chump change - the price of an overspecced BMW Maxi?

I'm still stuck on Hull prices - you southerners are mad ;)

Nick Graves 11-10-2016 01:17 AM

:D

There is that! I remember when you could get a mid-terrace there for 16 large. Mind you, it'd need another 16 large spending on it. Which as Hull labour rates is quite a lot...

That's not all that long ago either...

unclefester 11-10-2016 01:22 AM

I bought mine for £25,000, IIRC the mortgage was something mental like £113 per month and that was a repayment one too.

s2k4tony 11-10-2016 07:00 AM

Bought my first 2 bed in 1999, nice area too for 34k in Wigan. 3 years later I sold it for 70k... mortgage cleared, sabbatical organised and on returning from a year out in Australia, bought my first s2000 cash for 14k with a few Gs left. God loves a spender :-)
I remember at the time you could buy large terraced in Liverpool for 10 grand, bare shell. My rich sister was looking at building a portfolio there.
Robbie Fowler got on that one and bought half the city.

Nick Graves 11-10-2016 08:45 AM

Those were the days!

Nottm_S2 11-10-2016 09:52 AM

At the risk of sounding like an old fart there are many property millionaires in their 50s

i did ok (40s) in terms of buying property but i wish i'd got in 10 years earlier.

Kids now face serious hurdles

owd folk live longer, more people live alone so demand is huge

Nick Graves 11-10-2016 10:14 AM

Oh, we all wish we'd started earlier!

That's particularly true of us Jonsers, who tend to feel that the real Boomers got the best deals.

But that's probably just The Human Condition.

cheshire_carper 11-10-2016 11:12 PM

I remember my dear old mum telling me the sooner, the better (likely wanted me out of the house). I bought my first place at 19 so it worked out for the two of us ;)

Definitely all about getting in early and as big as absolutely possible. That's the way to play it. Staying at mum's until you are 30 with a swanky car will be a period of time you are likely to look back on in your 40s and wonder why you chose that route.

jml 11-11-2016 12:37 AM

Opportunities are to be had in the Périgord right now with all those UK pensioners returning to the UK. Brexit - or rather the intention - turned out to be rather profitable for some.

Nottm_S2 11-11-2016 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper (Post 24102445)
I remember my dear old mum telling me the sooner, the better (likely wanted me out of the house). I bought my first place at 19 so it worked out for the two of us ;)

Definitely all about getting in early and as big as absolutely possible. That's the way to play it. Staying at mum's until you are 30 with a swanky car will be a period of time you are likely to look back on in your 40s and wonder why you chose that route.

i was at Uni on about £80 a week so buying wasnt really an option
Then i moved to West London on a graduate salary so buying wasn't really an option, £170k for a shit hole in Isleworth and I was on about £16k so not really an option

I moved back to Nottingham in 1997 and bought a new build for double my salary and sold it for 50% more 2 years later

hindsight is wonderfully 20/20 and compared to kids today i cant complain. it's a good job G found a car as his thread is ****ed.

phil121081 11-26-2016 11:07 PM

Gtd estate deals ok at moment, 235 on a 3+23 but dealer said last orders monday as factory not taking any more until 7.5 launched.
​​​​​​​I looked at the cupra st yesterday, wife liked it, fits the bill for me. The facelift car coming on 1 december so will see what offers around, hopefully another good offer on release!