Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

The S2000's gone.....

Old 04-04-2019, 06:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djchocice
theyre selling like hot cakes and I'm not surprised. The S2000 I always found to be pretty decent on fuel for it's vintage, a damn sight cheaper than a 350Z or Boxster. I guess it shows how much development has taken place since the S was released, a 3 pot turbo back in 99 would have been rather pitiful compared to today.
I must admit it's piqued my interest with that level of economy especially since I've done 26k miles in the FK2 CTR in just over a year. That gets a reasonable 32mpg, but I'm certainly feeling it after coming from a diesel DD. I'm expecting a gold watch from Shell sometime soon...

Do keep us posted about how you get on with it over time, emperor's new clothes and all that. The novelty of the FK2 has worn off for me now but I did also justify the choice with the rarity factor, but I miss driving the S greatly even if the FK2 has some nice party tricks.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:26 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by djchocice
agree on the NA sound thing, I do miss the bonkers wail of a fully lit S2000 a bit. But, I equally enjoy the whooshy turbo sounds and 3 cylinder growl, it's a characterful turbo engine which I really wasn't expecting. For my circumstances having only one car it's perfect, but if I was spending it on a low mileage fun car, I would have kept the S or gone into an Elise 111R or a 2ZZ swapped mk3 MR2 if I was feeling cheap haha.
its a no regrets do everyhing proposition that is still great fun in a world of utter dull. you cant knock that. i keep pondering an old Vantage for the noise., i am that obsessed.. maybe i need help haha..

i do need help. i was talking to myself on the ride back home today, the roads are full of shyte so i applaud this. it feels like fun cars are almost dead!
​​​​

​​​​​​
Old 04-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
its a no regrets do everyhing proposition that is still great fun in a world of utter dull. you cant knock that. i keep pondering an old Vantage for the noise., i am that obsessed.. maybe i need help haha..

i do need help. i was talking to myself on the ride back home today, the roads are full of shyte so i applaud this. it feels like fun cars are almost dead!
​​​
​​​​​​
One day I'll have something with a V8, just for the noise, it's a rite of passage for any petrolhead IMO.

The small hot hatch game is where it's at for fun at the moment, enough performance to be quick but light, nimble and agile enough to be engaging and fun to throw around at non silly speeds.

Update after 1 week, average MPG with a mix of motorway and B roads is 42mpg, and the B road blasts were more WRC Tarmac stage than making progress. Grip is immense but the way it's planted yet dances around is very impressive, very Clio 200 Cup like in that respect, but with better traction. Yet to try race mode although I'll book onto a track morning/evening at Anglesey and see how it fairs there. I imagine the brakes might struggle as they're pretty small and it's about 80kg heavier than the old car.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:03 AM

Received 245 Likes on 211 Posts

Throw/take out anything you don't need at the trackday, carry fuel in a/several 25l jerries it's better sitting trackside till you need a top up, and, have a good curry the night before, that'll lose a few kg next morning .
Old 04-09-2019, 01:07 AM

V8s are dinosaur stuff these days, like me haha.

there arent many around aside from used, potentially fiscally ruinous, exotica.. the affordable stuff like the E90, Vantage and if you can stand VX those LS engined aussie monsters are about it..

or you could do a Bourbon and put an LS in an S2K
Old 04-09-2019, 06:10 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I borrowed a Civic and suspected it was only running on three pots.

Turned out I was correct.

It wasn't obvious the engine was turbocharged and the only real drawback was I'm used to the smoothness of two triples sharing a common crank.

Put it in something a decent size like that Fiesta and it ought to be a winning combination. It's funny how I used to think Fords were utter, bare-minimum garbage...things change.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:24 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

It's because almost everything else is bloatware central and what's worse, people are happy to pay monthly for it.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
I borrowed a Civic and suspected it was only running on three pots.

Turned out I was correct.

It wasn't obvious the engine was turbocharged and the only real drawback was I'm used to the smoothness of two triples sharing a common crank.

Put it in something a decent size like that Fiesta and it ought to be a winning combination. It's funny how I used to think Fords were utter, bare-minimum garbage...things change.
I used to think that of Ford for a long time, Focus's drive well but the early ones felt horribly cheap and nasty inside. The previous gen Fiesta ST apart from the seats felt a bit dated & bargain basement, but not horrendously. The current Fiesta is a big step up in fit, finish & quality, it's almost Germanic now which is a good thing but it's kept what made the previous gen Fiesta ST and good fast Fords great but with a good dose of quality and refinement, so they've definitely upped their game in that regard.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:08 AM

we form opinions and then its human to continue in that vein until proven otherwise

my mate had a series 1 RS turbo as yoof.. it handled superbly but the engine was utter chucked together fragile low rent shit. i've always had that (likely inaccurate) opinion of Fords since. based on zero experience..

having said that i'm not impressed by much .. grumpy owd twat

on a PCP its all good, you dont care about quality/longevity
Old 04-10-2019, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
we form opinions and then its human to continue in that vein until proven otherwise

my mate had a series 1 RS turbo as yoof.. it handled superbly but the engine was utter chucked together fragile low rent shit. i've always had that (likely inaccurate) opinion of Fords since. based on zero experience..

having said that i'm not impressed by much .. grumpy owd twat

on a PCP its all good, you dont care about quality/longevity
I'm with you there, didn't Ford use some real tat engines back then, old astmatic CVH engines if I recall, so far behind the game, but they got away with it, as it didn't seem to matter to the masses if it had an XR/RS badge stuck on the front. Even the iconic Cossie used the same old coarse wheezing lump.
They been churning out some really good stuff for a long time now though, far more deserving of the ST/RS badge. Hell, they even made a Mondeo drive well.

Quick Reply: The S2000's gone.....