Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Small car comparison

Old 05-16-2010, 04:01 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Small car comparison

There are two new cars in the household at the moment - a MINI One and Fiesta Zetec

I thought some other people might be replacing old cars with newer more efficient ones, so here are a few thoughts, pros and cons, etc. Both cars have received plenty of praise (particularly the new Fiesta aka Mazda 2) so having both has been interesting

The Fiesta is easy to drive but the MINI is more fun. I know that BMW make much of the go kart nature of their car but it is true, that's exactly how the thing feels. You sit much lower in the MINI (seat height is adjustable) and it's a lot more fun to punt around than the Fiesta.

The Fiesta definitely has the better ride quality. The firm suspension on the MINI can oscillate on bumpy roads and when you are giving it some stick it does feel like all four wheels leave the road momentarily. That's never scary though, just this go-kart, pointy thing going on. In the Fiesta you sit higher, the car is taller and you feel more up in the air. This probably accentuates the feeling that the Fieta leans more in the corners but it's never no more alarming the the MINI's tendency to bunny hop occasionally.

The Fiesta has a 1.4 petrol and the MINI a very new 1.6, replacing the 1.4. The Ford engine is smoother but the MINI's is gutsier and more characterful. With both cars you can skate around roundabouts at a fair old lick, far more comfortably than you can in a bigger car/barge. The trouble starts when you boot it on the way out. Nothing much happens in the Fiesta, but the MINI is gruntier and picks up the pace quicker. My MINI also feels like it will get stronger and stronger whereas the fully run in Fiesta is not going to put on any muscle with age.

There's more understeer in the Fiesta, which in the style of moderns, will compel you to back off when the corner is getting a bit hairy. Since neither car is over-endowed with power, there isn't really an alternative. I think the MINI has a much better balance of power, grip and handling, but some people would prefer the comfort and smoothness of the Fiesta.

The MINI has six speeds and the Fiesta five and the MINIs arrangement is better in at least two ways. Firstly, in terms of fuel economy. The MINI's sixth gear is very tall but it means it is low revving at high speeds and will also still return very good mpg when maintaining typical motorway speeds. In the Fiesta at the same speeds econony plummets (like to M5 levels!).

Secondly, the 6th gear in the MINI means that it feels much less stressed at higher speeds. In the Fiesta, you are crying out for a sixth gear, with the engine very near its red line too much of the time, which sounds painful (in an over revving sewing machine kind of way).

Gearchange quality is down to choice. Both have light clutches but the MINI's 'box is quite mechanical and precise, whereas the Fiesta's is typically Ford smooth but rather anodyne.

The MINI's interior might be cutesy, and to some people overstyled, but it's simple and uncluttered. You can't say the same for the Fiesta, which has far too many buttons to control the quite extensive in-car kit. This is borderline dangerous, as it's difficult to do lots of things without taking your eyes off the road.

I'd give the Fiesta the edge in terms of seat quality, although that probably comes down to how well individuals fit, but in most other areas the MINI's finish and fit looks and feels better. There's one exception. The standard MINI steering wheel is a pretty horrible plastic thing and the one item I will replace at the earliest opportunity.

There are a few rattles and buzzes in the Fiesta, which will only get worse. There are none in the MINI which feels very solid and chunky. The Fiesta doors and tailgate feel tinny and ping when they close, whereas they feel heavy and close with a thunk in the MINI, making the perceived quality much higher.

The Fiesta is the more practical car. It has five doors, reasonable space for rear passengers and a good sized loading area. The MINI is cramped in the back and the loading area is tiny.

In summary, I'd say the Fiesta is the better car if you do lots of short low speed runs carrying passengers and lots of loads. Do not buy this car if it is going to spend lots of time working hard on motorways/dcs. The MINI is more fun to drive, all of the time, if not easier to drive. It will cope with high speed motorway work just fine and the economy does not suffer horrifically as a result. This is a new BMW 1.6 engine and it shows. So efficient that it qualifies for zero road tax in year one.

Finally, I see no reason why this Fiesta will hold its value any better than past versions. It is expensive for a small Ford and whilst the MINI is expensive too, you know it will hold its value better.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a thorought review, do you mind me asking the comparative list prices? I was suprised how expensive the baby ford was, but having recently looked at amini cooper D, with reasonable spec its around £18k!!!

A lot of lolly for a small car, althugh in my opinion the only car in that class that would get my money, the 5 year servicing pack helps too for £100.

cheers.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent, informative write-up Pete

(Though I would argue neither is truly a 'small car')

Old 05-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by phil121081,May 16 2010, 02:31 PM
a thorought review, do you mind me asking the comparative list prices? I was suprised how expensive the baby ford was, but having recently looked at amini cooper D, with reasonable spec its around £18k!!!

A lot of lolly for a small car, althugh in my opinion the only car in that class that would get my money, the 5 year servicing pack helps too for £100.

cheers.
iirc the MINI listed at about £13500 inc a few extras. A lot of that is of course tax and the various bits and piece that get added on before you get you hands on the car.

I thought heated seats were worth having for £180 and would be a good differentiator come sale time. Ditto heated mirrors and washers for something silly like £60. The car comes with all the things you really need as standard but MINI have made an art out of giving you options to 'personalise' your car. If you're not careful you are past the base price of the next car up the chain - the Cooper!

I didn't see the value in the various packs (salt, chilli, etc, outside of the impossible to by pass tlc pack for servicing, which pays for all services in 5 years or 50K miles, whichever comes first, for £180). As I said, the standard steering wheel is nasty but ebay will sort that. I wasn't prepared tp pay £400 for nothing special and common alloys either. I like the steel wheels with the MINI hubcaps - they suit the car, which is black and white all over.

Fiesta was closer to £15K. The Zetec is pretty well equipped and it wasn''t worth paying more for anything else with the depreciation in mind.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ianl,May 16 2010, 03:06 PM

(Though I would argue neither is truly a 'small car')

I think that's true, although today's small cars are weird things like the IQ, Sirion, etc

I remember being shocked that a Hyundai Amica was bigger than my MGB
Old 05-16-2010, 11:40 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Pics of you driving the Mini?
Old 05-16-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gad - haven't you made some quite derogatory posts about Mini's in the past. Akin to lifestyle-esque car, useless apart from wannabe estate agents or something to that effect on more than one occasion?

(I could be v. wrong here - but I would have sworn you did)

Why the change of heart?
Old 05-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kelk,May 16 2010, 08:02 PM
Gad - haven't you made some quite derogatory posts about Mini's in the past. Akin to lifestyle-esque car, useless apart from wannabe estate agents or something to that effect on more than one occasion?

(I could be v. wrong here - but I would have sworn you did)

Why the change of heart?
Yes

The first gen MINI (I didn't drive any of the higher performance versions) was a crappy little car, with quite possibly the worst gearchange I have ever experienced

Later cars got progessively better

The image thing hasn't changed

Maybe I have
Old 05-16-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi,May 16 2010, 08:59 PM

Maybe I have
So how much for a 4 bed detached in Cobham then?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kelk,May 16 2010, 10:35 PM
So how much for a 4 bed detached in Cobham then?
out of my reach

unless you are talking ex-council?

and another thing about the cars

people seem to object to the Fiesta making progress

the MINI doesn't seem to bother them (as much)

brackets because the roads seem to be populated by busybodies

Quick Reply: Small car comparison