Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Somebody please set my expectations

Old 03-19-2010, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, see The Grumpy Old Man's reply above.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:08 AM
TRW

Having had a moan about plod earlier I should say that they did (I think) something recently which surprised me.

After seeing the same car and driver (on my daily commute) on a number of occasions perform some of the most outrageous driving I have ever seen on the road I felt it was my duty to report it before someone got killed or injured. Examples being overtaking 3 cars at a time in a 30 zone doing 50/60 outside a school and in sight of a lollypop man, and also overtaking cars turning right on the right at traffic lights.

Plod told me that they would send the driver a letter advising what had been reported to them, at this point I thought that it would get filed in the bin but to my amazement a couple of weeks after the same driver appears extremely well behaved and hasnt stepped out of line for months (presume the letter must have been sent).

Anyway, it would be good to hear how you get on with the Police and whether you get anywhere with tracking down the driver.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:24 AM

Surely if the police have all the details and have a good chance of collaring the lowlife who hit your car then it would be in their interest to stick them on for the failing to stop. It will look good on their figures for successful prosecutions.

If, on the other hand, they have all the info and know the whereabouts of the lowlife but do nothing, then surely that's a dereliction of duty and then you should complain to the Police Complaints
a) About the officer with the attitude and
b) about their lack of help. They are public servants and should act as such.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 AM

The issue here as far as I understand it is that just because you have the reg number of the car it doesn't mean that the registered keeper did the deed... the issue then is that the police might require the registered keeper to tell them who was driving at the time. In my experience, they will just say that they don't know because they were drunk/high at the time.

If you have "good cause" you can get the registered keeper's details from the DVLA for a fee...
Old 03-19-2010, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bramblecat,Mar 19 2010, 03:24 PM
Surely if the police have all the details and have a good chance of collaring the lowlife who hit your car then it would be in their interest to stick them on for the failing to stop. It will look good on their figures for successful prosecutions.

If, on the other hand, they have all the info and know the whereabouts of the lowlife but do nothing, then surely that's a dereliction of duty and then you should complain to the Police Complaints
not if it means confronting some idiot who lives in a replica of the film set of Escape from New York

and will happily answer the door swinging

you must have people and places like that near you?

no, far easier to serve warrants and perform shakedowns in Acacia Avenue

this is about their mark:

http://www.theargus.co.uknews5062753.Polic...staurant_bos s/#

hats off to Julia Pope - one of the very few occasions I can recall a Police Officer admittinmg to a mistake

but I would like to know what's happened to the cretin that decided to issue a caution

and actions like Pope's are far too rare
Old 03-19-2010, 11:21 AM

I had a call from Yorkshire Police at work the other week - a member of public had reported a verbal altercation between him and a member of our staff. The Police traced the reg and rang our work and got me. Had to provide details and they rang him up and discussed the incident with him but decided not to take it any further.

So hopefully yes, they will do something about it.

Obviously inform your insurers and they will also track the driver.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Bramblecat,Mar 19 2010, 03:24 PM

You're not looking at this economically;

Mr P. Bourgeoisie will have assets and cannot escape fines, points etc. The gov't seems to feel the need to whip him into compliance.

Mr. U. Class has probably no tax/insurance/licence/CGAF/hates pigs & want to kill them and even if it does get to court, because he's on bens it'll be like joining a christmas club. So Plod would be daft to even wate its time.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:43 AM

The witness might know who was driving (be able to identify them) but the cops will only know if they bother to find out.....

I would also say the offending car also smashed its own indicators/lights, so if they're quick enough they'll find that evidence too, before the owner fixes it!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Mar 19 2010, 01:39 PM
they have to prioritise you see

it must be hard deciding whether to knock on the door of a house on a pleasant road

or negotiate the staffies and the ankle deep mud and knock on the door of a caravan
Isn't that the truth...

The Bristol Crime Unit officer on the phone to me said exactly that.
My hit/run offender was an uninsured drug dealer apparently.
And 'hes not really likely to respond to out request to name the driver'.

They did NOTHING for a month, plenty of time for the other driver to fix the car.
AND there is ANPR on the actual road we were on.
So it begs the question, how many people must one kill before the police can be arsed?

**** them, take out your own insurance policy.
plenty of nutters around here, and fairly inexpensive.
Dont waste time on the law, vigilantiism IS the future.

Proven time and time again to make one feel better.
JFDI.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:42 AM

ANPR can provide a false sense of security. Static devices and the data collected is probably not available to the general copper on the street, if available to the local force at all unless requested. Which they will not do for property damage, the regional serious crime unit on the other hand can probably get what they are after.

Good luck Kelk don't hold your breath.

Quick Reply: Somebody please set my expectations