Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Too many 'Disabled' spaces in car parks

Old 02-20-2010, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Feb 20 2010, 12:45 PM
I've also NEVER seen a pushchair being pushed around a supermarket, so I've no idea why the dozy bint from Netmums (I bet that's a cracking site)
says you need the space to get said contraptions in and out of cars
i've never pushed our pushchair round morrisons but we do put the car seat/carry seat on one of the special trollies which means taking it out of the car which can be a work of art in a normal space, the wide spaces are a god send for that as i can open the rear door fully rather than trying to squeeze through trying to stop the door swinging into the car next to me.

even though i'm a parent you may find it hard to believe i'm still proud of my car, (my brain wasn't fully removed with parenthood) and i'd be pretty narked if i came back to find someone had dented mine trying to do the same in a normal space

now the one thing that gets annoys me is when there are loads of disabled spaces left maybe 25 metres from the kids spaces and a blue badge holder takes one of the child spaces, if i did the opposite i'd be pounced upon!!
Old 02-20-2010, 08:04 AM

I heard a protesting mother at a supermarket near here say; "But I've got kids at home!"
Old 02-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

as usual, there is no common sense to be seen

why not say that all spaces, with the exception of a reduced number of disabled bays, are first come, first served to anyone between 8pm and 8am?

there would then be far more support from all drivers for segregation at busier times
Old 02-20-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Moggy,Feb 20 2010, 12:29 PM
I guess disabled people may own relatively more vehicles on average than the rest of us, so 1.5% may equal 6%.
I would think higher % of ownership might be true in a city like London, but certainly not significantly higher nationwide.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:52 PM

Supermarket parking is why my wife insisted on getting a people wagon with electric sliding doors. They were a godsend when the kids were young, both for us and for those who parked next to us.

Now the kids are older we have no need for P & C spaces.

Handy to have an old car seat to hand though for those quick 'pit stops' when you want to run in and out of the shop quickly.

Bit like having a disabled badge when its in the front passenger seat

Odd though how the people who park in disabled spaces are always fat unfortunate types...bit like the types who use the lift in our office.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Feb 20 2010, 12:00 PM
aimed to appeal to people the supermarkets perceive (or have judged) spend more money with them
Have you seen the price of nappies?

Tescos in Stevenage (Chav capital of Hertfordshire) has some good sized spaces ...

Old 02-20-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by type-r-exile,Feb 20 2010, 05:54 PM
now the one thing that gets annoys me is when there are loads of disabled spaces left maybe 25 metres from the kids spaces and a blue badge holder takes one of the child spaces, if i did the opposite i'd be pounced upon!!
Being disabled does not preclude you from also being a parent.

In the same vein, a lot of disabled people are overweight largely due to their inability to excercise.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by eSeM,Feb 21 2010, 12:17 AM
Tescos in Stevenage (Chav capital of Hertfordshire) has some good sized spaces ...

I thought you cared about your car Steven.

Leaving it in Tesco's trolley park seems a bit of a chance to take
Old 02-20-2010, 11:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I for one couldn't give a crap about disabled bays, however parent and child spaces should be removed.

I always try to shop when its quiet (weekdays, v. early or v.late) when the car park is really empty and even then I'll still park as far away from the supermarket as possible (away from other cars).

On the odd occasion that I do need to mix with the great unwaswhed (when its busy) I have no quarms about using parent and child spaces if none of the above is available. Just because people with kids have chosen that lifestyle, I don't see why they are more entitled to bigger spaces.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Feb 21 2010, 02:52 AM
Being disabled does not preclude you from also being a parent.

In the same vein, a lot of disabled people are overweight largely due to their inability to excercise.
im on about blue badge holders who use the child spaces but dont have kids with them when there are disabled spaces available.
we used to shop in asda, queensferry which has disabled and child spaces an equil distance from the door with extra disabled spaces slightly further away but those were always empty and the child spaces invariably had blue badge holders parked in them or parents with 10 year olds!
As for what gaffafi says about marketing gimmicks the latest one from tesco baby club is a parking permit which means you can park in the kids spaces for 3 years from babys date of birth, without you may be asked to move

Quick Reply: Too many 'Disabled' spaces in car parks