Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Too many 'Disabled' spaces in car parks

Old 02-21-2010, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That netmums woman annoys me already and I only read one quote. I have recently become a father and should appreciate what she is doing but I do not believe there should be an entitlement. Our choice to become parents.. Unlike not being a choice to become disabled. I have actually seen a mum yelling at people who use a P&C space without a child.. The woman yelling is no doubt on benefits being bailed out by the guy she yells at.. Sad how parents think they deserve special treatment.

I have not used a P&C space with or without child since they all tend to be full where I shop. I am yet to take my son to sainsburys (why would I ?). But agree with Gad it is BS about prams and pushchairs. You don't see them. I see a lot of baby car seats clicked onto trolleys and can appreciate the space required to get them in and out but have not struggled in a regular space. (Then I have the easier isofix and don't faff about like many mums).

Fortunately TW sainsburys cater for the fat cars and has a fat space aisle for anyone to use which is at the back of the carpark for the chelsea tractors. Works for me
Old 02-21-2010, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by nickrg3,Feb 21 2010, 09:24 AM
I have actually seen a mum yelling at people who use a P&C space without a child..
I've had this at least twice.

I find the p&c spaces very patronising.

I also think many parents lose sight of the periphery when they have children as their life is completely centred arount the child. For example my wife had a customer (who is also a friend who she hasn't seen for a while) in the shop yesterday with her 4 y.o son. She decided to remove all the ornaments off the coffee table in the shop so her son could colour in (without asking). She also asked another customer to hold her coffee (as an order rather than politely) whilst she picked an appropriate crayon for her son to use which was a decision that took a while. Clearly completely oblivious of her surroundings and she had changed her personality since my wife last saw her.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:06 AM

This is what makes this once great country now an unpleasant place to live. Selfish and inconsiderate behavoiur with no thought what so ever for anybody else, regardless.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:12 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

The one vaguely tangible benefit of the P&C spaces is that they usually mean that any parents do not have to cross the roadway parts of the carparks with their children, so it's a bit safer for everyone.

The best thing to do is to shop off-peak (never at weekends and park a distance from the entrance - it's only usually 100yards maximum, so hardly a big effort.

The store is quieter and it's a lot easier to move around.

If I were shopping for more than just me, I'd get food delivered, I'm surprised more people don't.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call me crazy, but recently I've got into the habit of walking to the supermarket. The fresh air and exercise probably does me good, and parking issues don't bother me in the slightest.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Do you wheel the trolley home?

Old 02-21-2010, 05:24 AM
UK Moderator

I did the walking option when we had the snow. I just used a rucksack, which was fine.

The only problems were that the nearest supermarket to me is M&S, which is expensive, and carrying the heavier items home.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd need a huge rucksack if I went shopping then! I usually fill the boot. Although click and deliver is preferred
Old 02-21-2010, 08:00 AM
UK Moderator

2 bags of food at the most per week for me.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:03 AM

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Now its occurs to me the following should be noted about P&C spaces:-

1) The 4 x 4 fraternity with kids and people carriers are not spread all over the car parks we are supposed to park

2) The people who are spatially challenged are there for in spaces big enough for their barges and all together , and can knock the corners of of each others cars

3) The little darlings in the 4 x4 and people barges can sling the doors open at will, and who cares if the damage the next p & c person

4) The little darlings with sticky fingers and a need to peer in interesting windows are also contained, because goes ballistic if little johnny dares to wander off so again keeps them away front the S

5)Why park next to or amongst the P&C mob, leave them well alone

Quick Reply: Too many 'Disabled' spaces in car parks