Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Toyota do it again

Old 04-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it's a pretty much needed to convince them. Unless there's a fault code or some other form of proof.
Any pattern you can spot on it? Only when engine is cold/hot. When air on kicks in. Anything?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:55 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

There is no fault code , as I still suspect an intermittent fault with either the clutch linear position sensor or another sensor or both which will not show up on diagnostics. I have asked them to change this sensor which retails at £60 , so the cost in parts to Audi is zip, the problem is it's buried and officially it's 5 hours labour Audi has to pay the dealer to change it!
But Audi are totally beholden to diagnostics it seems , and will accept no other method as a means of finding a problem which is ludicrous as I know from the lift industry , diagnostics are limited and should only be considered as part of the tool kit, not replacing it.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe in 3 more yrs you'll get them to buy it off you
Old 04-18-2014, 03:57 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
There is no fault code , as I still suspect an intermittent fault with either the clutch linear position sensor or another sensor or both which will not show up on diagnostics. I have asked them to change this sensor which retails at £60 , so the cost in parts to Audi is zip, the problem is it's buried and officially it's 5 hours labour Audi has to pay the dealer to change it!
But Audi are totally beholden to diagnostics it seems , and will accept no other method as a means of finding a problem which is ludicrous as I know from the lift industry , diagnostics are limited and should only be considered as part of the tool kit, not replacing it.
Can you not bypass the clutch switch with a cheapo from Halfords (or your tool box) & two bits of wire? You can then fire it by hand when you depress the clutch.

IF that fixes the fault, you can then point out to Audi what a UBofC they all are & get them to replace the clutch switch.

Or tell the CEO to by about 25 tubes of KY jelly...
Old 04-18-2014, 04:13 AM

Quick web search suggests there's no one cause.

An A5 cabrio where the FRED in the boot got wet due to a hood leak is probably indicative of stupid design.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:07 PM

Nick , haven't considered that idea, but It might be tricky to achieve , to change the pot is a 5 hour job according to Audi so it must be buried , a tech confirmed this is the case
I assume there is wiring coming from its location and I would need info about this.
The logic doese t quite stack up in my head not sure what I would prove if I did it . And now having had experience of Audi I have a sneaking suspicion that they would then void the warranty as a result of my unauthorised tampering.
Some else said about getting one of these cheap recording cameras and sticking it in the car , as when the car cranks and fails to start it will look like one of those videos from a office block during an earthquake! I might e mail them and ask if they will accept that as evidence , and if so pick up the cost of the camera !
Old 04-19-2014, 11:48 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Nick , haven't considered that idea, but It might be tricky to achieve , to change the pot is a 5 hour job according to Audi so it must be buried , a tech confirmed this is the case
I assume there is wiring coming from its location and I would need info about this.
The logic doese t quite stack up in my head not sure what I would prove if I did it . And now having had experience of Audi I have a sneaking suspicion that they would then void the warranty as a result of my unauthorised tampering.
Some else said about getting one of these cheap recording cameras and sticking it in the car , as when the car cranks and fails to start it will look like one of those videos from a office block during an earthquake! I might e mail them and ask if they will accept that as evidence , and if so pick up the cost of the camera !
It might be worth having a word with Audi to see if they have a EOBD data/flight recorder that they can stick in your car's diagnostic socket , then when the fault happens they can download the data to see what is happening when the fault occurs ,,i.e crank signals etc and can be very good at finding intermittent faults, The freeze frame data in the cars ecu usually only kicks in if it throws a fault code,,, might be worth a try
Old 04-21-2014, 01:23 AM

Good idea Dave, will give them a prod with that tomorrow .
This is one of things I can,t work out , the diagnostic which they rely on doese,t seem to store any event information , you really would have thought it would show " Engine cranking , failed to start and run " but no apparently not .
Old 04-22-2014, 04:50 AM

Yeah, I think I was conflating it with the switch on the top of the clutch pedal which cancels cruise and triggers the start-up in most stop-start systems.

If it's a ridiculous one on the tranny, forget it. All that overcrowding, an inline plus DW suspension will make it inaccessible. I know someone who bought a Renault 18 for £50 because a clutch change had written it off...
Old 04-22-2014, 11:34 AM

Nick , as far as I can make out Audi are using a linear potentiometer to measure the position of the clutch peddle .
It serves two functions
1) for initial engine start it sends information to the ecu to allow engine start via key, clutch fully depressed and disengaged 2). Measures the initial movement of the clutch peddle , and as the peddle goes down engine starts and is ready to move car as the clutch disengages and a gear selected .
I have checked this operation and tried to deceive the system in every way to no effect, it works fine I can't trick it . This is the bit Audi techs seem to not understand , it's in the handbook !
The Honda system works in a similar way on our Jazz , don't know what they use as a clutch peddle sensor .

Quick Reply: Toyota do it again